Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

National Luna Fridges
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jamo

Australia 
National Luna Fridges

I'm looking at getting a new car fridge and the National Luna weekender looks good to me (albeit expensive).

Since it's African, I though I'd ask here if anyones had any bad experiences with these.

I can get an engel MT45 which is 40 litre, but the next engel is 65l and huge; whereas the NL has a 50 litre model.

Any thoughts?
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2210725th Nov 2007 3:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo,

They're both regarded equally highly over here. Pro for the NL is that it has better insulation but con is that it is more expensive than the Engel. I personally have an Engel 40l and it works like a bomb, kept two cases of beer ice cold (on setting 2) in 35+ degrees in Botswana Thumbs Up

Your money your choice, either way a good call.

Post #2210775th Nov 2007 6:02 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I've had 2 NL40 l for about 5 years now. Work great and have never had any issues with them . IMHO they are becoming 2 expensive though. My next purchase (if any) will probably be Waeco's (which are from Oz AFAIK)

Post #2210855th Nov 2007 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
White Disco

Australia 

Waeco is German AKAIK. There accessories are defo German. You get a gleichrichter instead of a rectifier to run 240v AC down to12v DC.
Although the sticker says Made in China. Rolling Eyes
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2210875th Nov 2007 8:27 am
heine

Interesting - here in SA the claim they are from Oz . Obviously because we view Oz equipment as very good due to the similar conditions as to what we have

Post #2210885th Nov 2007 8:43 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had a NL "double door" on loan on a trip to Richtersveld in the summer some time ago. Two additional 105a/h batteries and solar panel ensured that it was running the entire week while we were there. I have always liked the NL, but as with everyone else my budget could not accommodate it. The "double door" actualy have two individual controls and the cool thing is that you can actualy run both on freeze or then the freezer on freeze and the fridge on cool - Duh ???. This unit, although very big and heavy, is in my mind the ultimate.

The thing is I have not yet managed to take one fridge and have ice cold beer and not freeze the missus tomatoes and visa versa - so to prevent a divorce and/or no camping (or both) I have an Engel and Waeco - one as freezer and the other as fridge and everyone is happy Laughing

I have not seen the double unit lately, but have seen a similar double door, but with a sort of seperator in between the fridge and freezer - imho will not work as good as the two control unit.

I bought the Waeco on a special when they were launched and only later realised that it cannot work directly from 220V, so have to carry 220V-12V converter with me in case 220V is available - otherwise very happy with it. Engel is 15 years old - going strong and had it serviced once ( "nogal" free of charge - can't remember why)

Post #2212245th Nov 2007 2:44 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I am fortunate enough to have the NL double door, which is IMHO the best option for a family (as opposed to when you just have to keep beer and meat cold Very Happy ), provided you have the space. As Deon says, you can set the 2 compartments independantly, within certain constraints, ie. that the "fridge" is always warmer or the same temp as the "freezer" and within about 8 or 12 degrees if I am not mistaken.
This unit runs on one compressor only, with a very clever valve system that switches the refrigerant flow between the 2 sections, and has integrated 220V input, which makes it incredibly versatile, as well as very efficient on power. One small niggle for me is that the "freezer" section is bigger than the "fridge" section, so if you have lots of salads and stuff that you don't want to freeze, you could find the space to be limited. For long trips where you are carrying a lot of meat that you need to keep frozen , but also need cold beers on demand, its the dog's dangles.

The most important for me is the low power consumption and reliability, which I believe you would get from NL, Waeco, Engel and any reputable make. Any difference on price will not count if you are in the middle of the bush and a) run out of battery power, or b) the fridge dies and in both cases your 2 weeks' worth of meat goes rotten, your trip is over.
If you can afford a GBP40k vehicle, a couple of $ either way should not be your first concern. Buy the one that has the features you want for your purpose, and looks the toughest

Post #2213245th Nov 2007 9:10 pm
Willem

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, does any body know if it is possible to plug in an Weaco 40l or Engel 40l directly into the LR power socket in the back (fridge will mostly be used whiles driving and short stops of approximately an our or two with engine switched off)? I’ve got mixed comments from fridge suppliers regarding this matter. Of the mentioned fridges, Waeco CoolFreeze CF-40 AC and Engel MT 45 F-S are they equally matched? Priced at R 4800 and R 4400 respectively, which is the best buy?

Post #22623921st Nov 2007 8:19 am
heine

You need to check the start up amps . IIRC most fridges pull about 15 A briefly on start up . Not sure what the rating on the aux plug is , but you should be OK

Post #22624221st Nov 2007 8:37 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Engel will work 100% on standard 12v plug on D3. WAECO for some reason does not like these plugs and my WAECO will cut out and red led will flash which means "power problem".

I have both Engel and WAECO which I have had in the D3 - I now run WAECO only on the new Brad Harrison plug which was intalled with duel battery system

Post #22630121st Nov 2007 11:59 am
IronMan

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Jamo,

Download this video and watch... fridge shootout...

http://www.4xforum.co.za/portal/video/Othe...eezers.avi

Post #22650921st Nov 2007 10:11 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Thanks Ironman!

I could only listen for some reason, but that was good enough. The National Luna is more expensive, but the size of the weekender 50 litre suits me the best. Interesting to hear the comment about the stainless steel (which costs AUD150 more than the aluminium).
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #22846227th Nov 2007 3:59 am
Willem

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I opted for the Engel 40 l and it works just beautifully on the plug in the back of my D3. If anyone is interested in an Engel 40l anniversary edition (R4400 new) pm me.

Post #22861627th Nov 2007 3:19 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Well, my new NL Weekender 50 turned up on Friday. Fantastic piece of kit, very quiet and got down to temp very quickly. I have a wireless thermometer inside and the fridge's temp guage is almost spot on. And it draws less than half the power of my old fridge.

Couldn't be happier! Thumbs Up
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2303793rd Dec 2007 1:24 pm
heine

What did it cost you in OZ

Post #2303893rd Dec 2007 2:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >