Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Low Battery Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There was a LR update on 27 November 2009 16:04 Reference DVD 119-04, Calibration file V.22

Which stated.

Range Rover , Range Rover Sport , Discovery 3 & 4
This update addresses - concerns in relation to Ride Level Monitor (RLM) and suspention In-Active or a noticable degradation in system performance.
Also contained within this update is SW to address concern over IPC replacement and odomiter calibration and Battery drain buy the seat module.

May be the electric seat module is causing this drain in your case ?

PS i can assure you that the RLM is active when the car is unattended.
Infact making 125K & 500K CAN logs from the car, you would be quite suprised what is still allive on the car for quite some time after you get out and lock it Mr. Green

Pete

Post #5608445th Dec 2009 6:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Good spot! Bow down

Seems like this is a bit of an issue, as updates also appeared on the previous two patches as well. Seems it could be with passenger or driver seat module.

Post #5608645th Dec 2009 6:55 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Pete
Thanks for the info - I'll give the dealer a nudge on Monday.
Does the info you have say if the patch will actually fix the battery issue or just make it slightly better? Wink
Do they mention what the issues are with Odometer calibration? - I'm hoping it is under reading as that might explain the low 20s MPG Sad
Also, do you know how long they would need the car to apply this patch & the others mentioned by Winger.
It's already been in the garage for 5 days in the 30 odd days I've owned it Sad (but at least I no longer need to sit in the back seat in order to get it to recognise the smart keys & start the engine Rolling Eyes )
Richard
PS What is the IPC?
pps sorry for all the quesions Embarassed

Post #5608845th Dec 2009 8:14 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

They only mention what i typed m8, so i cant be any more assistance on this one.

The IPC is the instrument cluster.

Pete

Post #5608885th Dec 2009 8:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

There was an error by the dealer that meant that my car was not picked up as arranged. I spoke to the service guy to rebook, and as I had got no further warnings (and I am about to go away for 10 days) we agreed that I would leave it and see what happens.

He did say that it was important to use the charging post if trickle-charging. I do use the iPod charging gadget so as a precaution I am disconnecting this if I leave the car for any length of time.

I am still OK with no further warnings so will keep monitoring the situation.
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #5609305th Dec 2009 10:54 pm
thriftwood

Got same message at lunchtime today, only this time car wouldn't start Big Cry Displayed a selection of error messages and then reset itself. Called LR Assist who were excellent Smile. Bottom line is that there is approx 1 amp drain even when the car is supposedly asleep which would explain why the battery is regularly low. Off to the dealers (yet agian!) tomorrow - But LR Assist have arranged a replacement car for me while it is there Smile
So:-
6/10 for car so far (love the car - would just like to be able to rely on it)
10/10 for LR assist - just wish I hadn't needed to call them in the first place
Richard

Post #5611536th Dec 2009 5:26 pm
thriftwood

Latest update:
Got my car back today (farewell RRSport) Garage ran a selection of tests but everything looking completely normal Confused Quiescent current drain in milliamps (not sure how many though!) and everything as expected. Given that the high current drain problem is no longer there they cannot actually do any more meaningful troubleshooting until it comes back. So, they have fully charged the battery and I will take it back to them at the first sniff of a "Low Battery Please Start the Engine" message.

It did occur to me that the only difference in the car's configuration between the tests run by LR Assist and the garage is that I had removed the ipod connection lead when I gave it to the garage.

I don't suppose that the other people who have been experiencing Low Battery messages have been using the ipod interface prior to getting the message? I was just thinking that maybe having the lead connected may fool one of the control units to stay awake and draw more current than expected?

Now waiting expectantly for the next warning message Rolling Eyes
Richard

Post #5626079th Dec 2009 8:56 pm
Supercharged

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

The iPod may be the problem especially with the charging module. My approach is that the iPod does not need charging all the time so I will only put this module in on a run.

So far no more messages, but I'm not convinced it won't happen again.
 Paul

D4 HSE Zermatt Silver / Ebony 

Post #56278310th Dec 2009 2:16 am
thriftwood

Even if I want to use the ipod out of the car I would normally leave the cable plugged in and just remove the ipod. However I am paranoid now and (try to remember! to) unplug everything Wink every time I get out of the car which TBH is a right pain in the Censored

Does anyone else who has seen the "low battery warning" leave the ipod cable plugged in?
Richard

Post #56314010th Dec 2009 7:02 pm
thriftwood

Pah! Censored
"low battery" message again today - only just started and then gearbox fault! didn't dare stop car until it had been runnning for an hour. Gearbox fault cleared after restart but fully expecting to have to call L/R assist tomorrow when it won't start. Owned for 8 weeks - 9 days in garage so far - thoroughly fed up Sad
Is anyone else experiencing this problem anymore or am I just lucky Big Cry

Post #56976724th Dec 2009 1:45 am
OzDisco

Australia 

That must be an absolute killer having to keep returning a new vehicle for the same fault - especially something as nice as the D4!!!
Have they tried replacing the battery itself?
I once heard of a vehicle (not LR) that refused to change in to top gear (auto) - the dealer ran test after test after test and couldn't find anything. All electrics showed fine, battery charge/level fine.....in the end someone decided they would try a new battery (for no other reason than to eliminate it from investigation) and the vehicle performed perfectly even though the battery showed no faults....worth a try!!??
 Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments that take your breath away...  
Post #56977324th Dec 2009 2:18 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I am now having a similar problem, except that the car seems to start fine. Last three mornings ths car has thrown up a gearbox fault warning message. Called LRA who jumped in the car disappeared up the road for 10 mins then tested the battery and said it was OK. Said that the gearbox fault was a low battery thing......he also tightened the battery terminals.....about three turns!!! (It's that one armed bloke on the line with no tools Laughing )

I'd been a bit under the weather for the last few days and I'd only been doing short hops between the house and office with loads of electrics on. Yesterday did a couple of 20 mile runs and everything is working fine, including the FBH coming on, which doesn't when the battery is low.

I think they've "out smarted" themselves with the new battery management system. Dealer (Hartwells Oxford) said that there was new software coming, but not for at least a week, which should cure these problems.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #56982624th Dec 2009 10:29 am
thriftwood

Shocked That is how mine started (no pun intended) too. Several seemingly innocuous messages about low battery & please start the engine (usually on the first start of the day) and then one day same message but no start Big Cry Battery down to 7-8 volts. LR assist man charged it up enough to get to the garage the following day. Definitely recommend you carry some jump leads or jump start pack - I just bought one (can’t believe I felt I needed to this with a new car) and it sits in the back of the car – last thing you need is to be stuck at this time of year in this weather waiting for LRA or AA etc.
I’m just psyching myself up to go and see if it will start today – If not then I need to decide to try and live with it or send it back to the garage & have a hire car over the holidays - If they still can’t find anything wrong then I’ll ask them to swap out the battery as you suggested OzDisco just in case.
Richard

Post #56985524th Dec 2009 11:29 am
thriftwood

aargh! Banging Head Banging Head
Done it again! Low battery message on Friday morning - started, albeit a bit reluctantly, and drove about 60 miles. Went to try and start it this afternoon (Sunday) and flat as a pancake Evil or Very Mad There doesn't seem to be any logic to why/when this happens. Last had a "low battery" message on 24th December and was fully expecting it not to start the following day - but no, it was absolutely fine and the car has had numerous short runs in the recent snow with all the electrics on and has behaved perfectly. I drove it 80 miles on Thursday & on Friday morning I get Low Battery Confused LRA/AA very good & quick but I am totally Censored ed off with this now. Is anyone else with a D4 still experiencing these problems?
Mwestcrew - do you know if the mentioned s/w update arrived/worked?
Richard

Post #58336417th Jan 2010 6:18 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Richard, has the battery been changed by the dealer?

Post #58390018th Jan 2010 2:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >