Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

towing mirrors on MY15/MY16
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
al cope

England 
towing mirrors on MY15/MY16

Guys - what are you using for towing mirrors on the latest D4's with the curved door mirrors

I cant get my Milencos to fit on the top of the mirror as not only does it curves down, but the top part of the mirror case moulding gets thicker as it goes towards the outside edge - (if you have a MY15/16, go take a look, you'll see what I mean, its not a uniform thickness). If I fit them on the bottom, the metal bar hits the door when the mirrors fold in on locking - bah humbug.

I've used these on 2 D3's and my old D4 - now it look like I need some alternates.

I've even tried a very old pair of Radyots I had left in the garage - these actually fitted better, but as they are only held on by rubber straps, 1) these are not long enough to get round the body of the car's mirror, and 2) due to the curved shape of the back (getting smaller towards the outside edge, the straps try and slide off.

I'm temped to try and bend the metal tube of my millencos to the same profile as the top of the door mirror.

So - what are you guys using?

Cheers
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #161483223rd Feb 2016 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Strange, I have Milenco Aero mirrors and they fit MY16 perfectly, bit of leather underneath to stop scratching though.

I place them on the top of the mirror. Do you have the ability to angle the clips on your mirrors or are they fixed straight?

Post #161483823rd Feb 2016 3:37 pm
al cope

England 

the clips/clamps on mine are fixed to a straight bar (they will slide along it and rotate around it).

Al

PS - just been on the mileco site - can see what you mean, the clamps swivel, and it looks like I can buy just some new clamps - thanks
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #161484123rd Feb 2016 3:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

ARRGGG - why is nothing ever simple

So I have a Towsure 5 mins from me - so just nipped up there and great, they have these Milenco swivel clamps in stock - so I buy some.

BUT THEY DONT FIT THE F*****G Milenco tube, as Milenco in their infinate wisdom have reduced the tube size from the original Grand Aeros (15mm tube) to 12mm on the latest ones, for which the swivel clamps are designed, so these wont fit onto my tubes Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Hoping my old man has a 15mm twist drill so that I can open the holes up a bit.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #161488523rd Feb 2016 4:46 pm
JackNorris

Glad to hear that you are sorted, or nearly sorted. Hopefully you can get the holes opened up.

The clamps can be quite aggressive on the mirror so recommend the leather/chammy underneath

Post #161489923rd Feb 2016 5:12 pm
al cope

England 

OK, cheers Jack

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #161490923rd Feb 2016 5:33 pm
al cope

England 

Jack - and others I guess - so I got some of the swivel mounting brackets, reamed the holes out to 15mm so that my mirror tube now fits, but I cant get the brackets to hold tight onto the door mirrors.

Its the shape of the door mirror internal plastic moulding that's causing the issue. Because its tapered, when I try and tighten the brackets, they push back out from the mirror casing, such that when I think they are tight enough to hold on, there's only about half of the gripper pad still on the mirror casing.

this is bloody infuriating - for something so simple Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #161554724th Feb 2016 6:48 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Evening Al.
I'm watching this with interested. you must have read my mind.
I only said this weekend that I need to get my mirrors from the van which is in storage and try them on the new car.
I was thinking there maybe two problems, the curved shape of the top edge and the fact that they might hit the door /glass when folding.

I've not checked the thickness of the mirror surround but I will now.

I've got the normal aero mirrors and I think my clips swivel.

My initial thoughts were to try to fit to the lower edge and swivel the bar through 180 degs to maintain the mirror edge in the right plane.

Steve
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #161566824th Feb 2016 10:08 pm
JackNorris

Hi both, I've taken a pic of my clamps and set up on the bar, how do they compare to your clamps Al?

Post #161567024th Feb 2016 10:10 pm
al cope

England 

Steve - you cant fit them to the bottom of the mirror, as when you lock the car and the mirrors fold in, the bar and bracket hit the door!

Jack - so those are the clamps I've now got. I've tried mine closer together (the inner one about where you've got it), if I had the outer one (left one in your pic) where you've got it, the D4 mirror casing is much thicker there and the clamp just starts sliding off.

This is turning into a right farce

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #161580325th Feb 2016 9:07 am
X1/9

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Al
I have a set of Grand Aeros fitted with the optional v pads (prod code3186) and although they don't feel just as secure as they did on my old 2012my they have been fine since I fitted them to my 2016 D4. I have used them on several trips with the van and had no problem so far.

Post #161737027th Feb 2016 11:56 pm
al cope

England 

Ok, l will take a look at those

Thanks
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #161753928th Feb 2016 12:48 pm
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Al and all

Right, I've fetched my Milenco Aeros from the storage and you are correct Al when fitted to the bottom of the mirrors they foul the door when the mirror folds.

I also see your point about the top mirror casing getting thicker towards the outside edge. I have the same problem as yourself with the clamp trying to squeeze its way off the cowl as you tighten it. I have the clamps that swivel already. its not the angle its the shape of the underside of the top mirror cowl.

I'll be interested to know if the new v shape rubber pads solve the problem, cant see it myself as the pads sit on the top. If not it may be time for a change but I've been happy with the milencos over the years.
Steve
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #16187011st Mar 2016 5:32 pm
al cope

England 

Steve - the V pads dont help - I went up to Towsure and got them to let me take a set outside to try.

So right now I've stuck with the swivel brackets. I've glued a thin piece of rubber (from an old bike inner tube) to the bottom part of the bracket (the bit that slides between the mirror glass and the mirror casing), so that its got something to "grip" with, and is still thin enough to get in the gap. I have the brackets about 4" apart. They seem to be tight OK, I'll have to see. I hope they dont come off whilst driving with the wind pushing against them. The one thing I liked about my old style Milencos was there was also a strap around the mirror, so belt and braces. The swivel brackets dont have a fitting for the straps.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #16187571st Mar 2016 6:59 pm
Jarvis

England 

I tried the Reich Excellent View Towing Mirror as I was worried the Milenco Aero's I'd used with the D3 would slide off the MY16 now doing the towing duties. I had to return them as the straps were too short to get round the mirror cowl.

I tried the inner tube trick with the Aero's and found a huge improvement in attachment and stability, attaching to the topside to avoid any mirror-folding disasters Shocked

Post #165543316th May 2016 11:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >