Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Yet another FBH thread - sorry
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine started on its own yesterday, but didn't later in the day. One thing, though, mine burns really clean and is fairly quiet, so if I didn't have the live values up on the GAP Tool, I would totally have missed that it was running.

Today I'm down with Covid, but my Romanian Ebay FBH remote arrived at the weekend, so I've been out and installed it. I will probably revisit some of the wiring when I am feeling more like standing out in the cold, but it seems to work well. It was really easy to install, since my D3 is old enough to have the red Pin2 wire. Fired up first time I pressed the button and I let it run for a while before shutting it down (FBH coolant up to 55C).

One thing I noticed while watching the live values yesterday was that in normal running it doesn't switch off until the FBH coolant temperature is above 90C - I saw 91C briefly before the fuel pump turned off. Engine Coolant temperature at that point was about 84C. The engine cooled down after the FBH was off, but the FBH didn't kick back in, despite dropping to an engine coolant temp in the mid 70s C. These engines do indeed run on the cold side! Air temp was 0C throughout.

I also noticed that the Glow Plug switches on as part of the shut-down process (both on remote and on normal operation). As soon as the FBH Fuel Pump switches to Off, the Glow plug comes on, for perhaps 20 seconds. Presumably to burn off any remaining fuel and leave everything clean for the next start up.

Final observation, that someone might be able to explain is that my GAP Tool will still pass live Aux Heater values to my 'phone with the ignition off and the key removed. I left it all rigged up while the FBH was running on the remote and it was still live when I went back to it ten minutes later. I really expected the OBD port to shut down on key removal. I'm guessing it would stop when the car went to sleep or if I locked the doors.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #235594214th Dec 2023 3:37 pm
kim0785b

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine has worked once ever!
Does it matter if it doesn’t work, does it affect the lifetime of the engine in anyway, don’t mind waiting for the cabin heating to take a while whilst driving.
 Discovery 4
Oct 2015, 2016 build
SDV6 Santorini Black SE
New engine at 42k
Car camper 

Post #23580557th Jan 2024 9:42 pm
NCC-1031

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

I’m using it as my glow plugs are probably shot. I don’t think it matters otherwise!

Post #23580567th Jan 2024 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >