Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Does anyone lease their D3?? If so can you add accessories?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 
Does anyone lease their D3?? If so can you add accessories?

[b]Does anyone lease their Discovery? If so, can you still add accessories and / or take it off-road still???

After going to the paris motorshow and having a good poke round a disco, im very tempted to go and get one... although it will have to be leased through the company....

Does anyone do the same, and if so, where do leasing companies stand on adding accessories or going off-road?

Any advice appreciated.

Many Thanks
Lee

Post #9499618th Oct 2006 8:52 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is on a PCP which I suppose may be different, because I intend to pay the balloon payment and keep the car. I have not been told I cannot fit accesories or not take it off road. It has spot lamps fitted aftermarket, and a Mantec sump guard. I regularly take it green laning.

If it was contract hire, I suppose the accessories might be difficult, but the green laning should not be an issue providing you don't damage it. They are public roads after all.

Post #9499818th Oct 2006 8:55 am
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

thanks for that, i will be looking into buying the car on PCP, although i would get taxed heavily as using it as a company car rather than on a lease basis.... (i think)

If i couldn't add bits to the car, or even take it off-road it would seriously alter the appeal that the disco has for me....

Would have to be an A4 Avant after all Sad

Post #9500118th Oct 2006 9:00 am
cheddarwards

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Most leasing companies will allow you to add accessories to your vehicle (possibly just genuine LR though), although you may need written permission from them if they are added after delivery.

The issue of permission to take off road is a bit trickier. In my experience you should be OK as long as you have a insurance policy which fully covers your off road ambitions & makes good any damage which occurs off road.

What you will need to be careful of is the return conditions that your leasing company includes in its hire agreement. If they are really fussy then your company could be charged an absolute fortune in minor repair bills when the car goes back. Although most leasing companies adhere to the BVRLA code of conduct here, there is still major room for interpretation.

Best to check with your companies fleet manager or direct with the leasing company you use.

Post #9500418th Oct 2006 9:02 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't know what your company offer you, but most people I know have opted out of the CC schemes and got a car themselves. It depends on your package, and if your company will offer you a good benefit value towards the car.

I can claim 40p per mile for 10000 miles, then 25p thereafter before I get taxed. I do 30k per year. I am obviously subsidising the car myself, but I am putting my money into a better car rather than paying the taxman. The tax on a D3 as a CC would be substantial, especially if you are 40% tax bracket.

Roll in the accountants!!!

Post #9500718th Oct 2006 9:06 am
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

all this money talk is confusing...

from what i understand (and that isnt much) i (personally) would lease the car.... then the company will pay me the amount for the lease each month.

Apparently this gets around tax issues of owning a company owned car....

The company belongs to my father (soon to be mine when he ever retires!) He is running a Porsche Cayenne Turbo (i know, i know, hungry hippo) and a BMW M3 as personal leases which in turn he is then paid by the company extra to cover the leases........

Anyway my concerns about mods' and off-roading are because his leasing company wouldn't even let him put on a personalised number plate!

I have til january to wait for a new car so ill have to do some research up to then.....

Post #9501218th Oct 2006 9:14 am
Pelyma

England 

I'm no expert in this field, but I thought leases only work if you are VAT registered, otherwise cash or a PCP/HP with balloon work out better. When I looked at mine good old cash worked best.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #9501718th Oct 2006 9:18 am
cheddarwards

Whether the lease is in your name or the companies is kind or irrelevant, as the terms & conditions of the agreement remain the same. Obviously by putting the lease in your name then you get around the company car tax issues & thus save a huge personal tax bill. However you should not forget that you have to pay income tax & NI on any car allowance the company pays you. The approved mileage rates from the Inland Revenue are obviously tax free, but as Gareth says they will not fund the car alone.

On the subject of adding a personal plate, the leasing company concerned sound very unreasonable, I deal with approx 10 leasing companies & all of them allow the addition of personal please (although some charge an admin fee to process it)

My advice would be to research thoroughly. but absolutely do by a D3

Post #9502318th Oct 2006 9:22 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Watch out some lease Companies supply their own insurance which will not cover off road use and insures for your payout amount only, not an agreed value so if you write it off you are not out of pocket but do't get what it was worth. We made a profit on the D2 (paid out more that we could have sold it for) Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9502518th Oct 2006 9:26 am
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

ok, this is where its gets complicated.

The personal leases will be leased into a seperate limited company so as to be vat registered....

company 'A' pays my limited company 'B'. so on paper i work for limited company 'B'.... limited company 'B' contracts me out to company 'A'

I dont entirely understand it myself, but its all above board........ and a very clever way of paying less tax (legally) on your car....

hmmm.... should i really be writing this down! (ill delete this post by the end of today) Wink

Post #9502918th Oct 2006 9:28 am
cheddarwards

Remember you can only reclaim 50% of the VAT back on the finance element, so you need to factor 50% of the vat in to come up with the true lease cost

Post #9503118th Oct 2006 9:32 am
Ken

Lease / PCP it does not matter, if you return the vehicle to the PCP / Lease company at the end and you have fitted anything else in addition to the original order spec they are fully entitled to charge you for removal of said part or its drop in value. So think very carefully before fitting bits that leave marks if your intention is to return the car

Post #9503218th Oct 2006 9:35 am
StillThinking...

United Kingdom 

my worries exactly ken....

'if' i was to get a TDV6 D3... (and its looking like i will) i would be after fitting these mods...

TurboChip
Light Guards (front and rear)
A Bar
Winch
Under body protection
Removeable Tow bar.

Im sure all of theses (except the TurboChip) are avaliable from my local LR dealership.

Does anyone know if the mods mentioned above permanently alter the car?

Can they be removed without any evidence they were there originally?
Especially the winch and A bar ( iwould only like to have this on when going off road)

thanks
Lee

Post #9503818th Oct 2006 9:44 am
Ken

Winch Yes A bar Yes Lamps Yes but you would never know, Tow bar not really

Post #9505118th Oct 2006 10:11 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

All of these can be dealer suplied as far as I am aware, even the chip. If you lease the car with accesories included, then there is no problem is there?

Don't forget to factor in the income tax and NI that you would pay on the benefit in kind to have the D3 as a co car, into your calculation. Add it to the 40p/25p per mile you can claim for business miles. The D3 is in the top car tax bracket and is a serious drain via the tax man if it is a company car. Of course, you are in a position to earn what you need to pay the tax man, but then the tax man benefits too much in my opinion.

The bottom line is that Mr Brown has closed up the loop holes on cars, and unless you are prepared to drive a very small and economical car that runs on electrikery, you are going to be taxed.

My view is that whilst I pay some of my tax paid hard earned towards my D3, I pay less tax to the taxman. My company also benefits because it no longer has to pay all the company costs involved in providing a car to the employee (employers NI etc). As I am the major shareholder (as it sounds like you will be), that in turn benefits me.

I needed a good accountant to convince me, it is worth it.

Post #9505218th Oct 2006 10:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >