Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Best Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
JMC

Scotland 

True nowadays, but you ony need to go back about 6 years for a different story Wink

As for cross-contamination...... I could tell you some stories 8)

Post #9490817th Oct 2006 9:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supergirl

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
True nowadays, but you ony need to go back about 6 years for a different story Wink

As for cross-contamination...... I could tell you some stories 8)

thanks 8) a lot of things have changed in the last five years in the retail business infact in the oil distribution business and mark my words it won't be to long before Shell Esso BP sites are a thing of the past. It will be the supermarkets only in the retail business just imagine instead of talking V-Power it will be branded as Tesco's Finest. Wink

Obviously I can't say to much but you would be shocked (or maybe not) just exactly what product you think your filling your car up with and what you are actually getting re the additives.

Although the Octane booster is always correct.

Post #9491017th Oct 2006 9:46 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I spent years listening to oil company 'Managers' moaning about the supermarkets and the difference in the quality of fuel.

Truth is that these 'Managers' were not fit even fit to manage stacking shelves in the Co-op - let alone taking-on the might of Tesco and WallMart Evil or Very Mad

As for the 'differences' in fuels........ Rolling Eyes

Post #9491217th Oct 2006 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I have been very interested in this subject for some time now and have been trying to find out the differance between BP Ultimate which has a cetane rating of 55, and Shell Extra which has a cetane rating of ???

I have asked at Shell garages, the Shell website etc all to no avail. BP make an issue about the cetane rating being 55, which means the higher the number, the easier the fuel will ignite, Shell makes the same claims about improved combustion but will not quote a cetane rating WHY ???

Perhaps Supergirl or JMC could help, as they both appear to have been involved in oil distribution. Just for the record I also use an additive called Unicat 4 Diesel which is claimed to be a combustion enhancer.

Post #9510018th Oct 2006 12:13 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

53 minimum for Shell.

When it leaves the refinery/depot, the Shell Extra Cetane Number is ~58 - the cetane value falls over time.

Diesel Extra and Ultimate have broadly similar cetane characteristics, in reality.

Standard supermarket diesel has a minimum cetane number of 51.

Is the difference worth it? That ground has been covered before.........

Post #9511918th Oct 2006 1:06 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Thanks for that Winger, you have been able to answer the question that Shell could not or would not answer, but if the cetane value is the same as BP Ultimate I wonder why Shell do not advertise that fact ??

Post #9515718th Oct 2006 2:14 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I suspect that they are not confident that they could stand up to the 55 number that BP quotes, for whatever reasons. In reality, though, you'd probably find that the two were almost identical on the cetane front.

Post #9517118th Oct 2006 2:45 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Thats very handy to know, as I said I have been trying to find out for a while, the difference in cetane values. There is a Shell garage at the end of our road selling Diesel Extra but there is not a BP garage for about 10 miles. Guess I will be sticking to Shell then. Many thanks.

Post #9519518th Oct 2006 3:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >