Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 Small Non Touch Screen Input
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
D4 Small Non Touch Screen Input

Asked a few times but no difinitive answer.
What is the input for the D4 non touch screen? Is it just a normal analogue input (PCA)?
I want to replace with a touch screen running an in car PC. And have the original screen as an input rather than moving it.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 20th Jan 2012 1:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #87065614th Dec 2011 9:19 am
caverD3

Bump
Anyone?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #87119315th Dec 2011 9:45 am
DIEGUS

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

You can translate with google....

http://www.unicar-m.ru/

Here the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knBMSvCLuR0&feature=related

tell me if you find different solutions!!!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Diego  
Post #87137315th Dec 2011 5:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Thanks diegus
Video shows exactly what i want to do. I am having trouble translating. It wants me to log in.
I assume from title it is a GVIF input?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #87146215th Dec 2011 9:29 pm
DIEGUS

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Carver, I do not speak Russian, but with google I think I understand it is PAL output

Look this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiSiDZ_ovQA&feature=related

I believe that this is what you are looking for

http://www.unicar-m.ru/content/disco4mon/

Traslate from Russian to English
"Transferring information from staff on a monochrome display composite video VGA monitor."

Look this, I hope this is halpful, I do not know anything about electronic!!!!!!!

http://tinyvga.com/avr-vga

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Diego  
Post #87150015th Dec 2011 10:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Thanks Diegus

Difficult to to be sure what it is but I think you are right it is a pal input direct to a monitor. But either way I now know it is possible. Just need to get a D4 now. Very Happy
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #87157716th Dec 2011 8:29 am
Disco4pilot

Australia 

My understanding is you need to convert the signal using the following converter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Info-display-conve...6523900144

Has anyone done this??

Post #88617819th Jan 2012 10:11 pm
caverD3

That is an expensive converter. Shocked

D3 needed a GVIF converter for input to touch screen I think the the D4 non touch screen is a straight PAL input.
That is what I understood from the links.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #88623820th Jan 2012 1:41 am
Disco4pilot

Australia 

Unfortunately the converter on eBay links you to the same Russan site and you tube video as you were looking at for more information so I think it needs to be converted to Pal in order to work. That converter is ridiculously expensive though Shocked

What is a GIVF converter?

Post #88690921st Jan 2012 11:30 pm
caverD3

It depends what the small non touch screen is and is a it different from the toch screen. The touch screen is definately GVIF but still unclear what the non touch screen is.

Found this whilst browsing:

"At the end of the day, if you want to interface with the navigation system's display, you must connect to the device using the GVIF interface.

GVIF is a Sony developed digital video interface for which interface boxes are very expensive.

So if you want a back up camera, $450+ is what you'll probably have to pay as there are very few manufactures of these devices. This is not to say you couldn't make your own but this would be a rather large under taking and probably cost you a lot of time and effort.

There are a few companies that make GVIF converters for other vehicles, but be careful as not all GVIF converters work the same. GVIF is a digital network that has a baud rate that is dependant on the amount of pixels that need to be displayed at the refresh rate of the screen. So each manufacture may have a different baud rate. Because of this, the baud rate will most likely vary from one vehicle with GVIF to another."

Russian site in english:

http://www.gvif.ru/V_ROVER/DISCOVERY4.pdf

However all I see is integration to input Pal into the GVIF touch screen nothing about non touch screen. Confused
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #88693322nd Jan 2012 4:26 am
Disco4pilot

Australia 

Yeah it seems there are quite a few posts on installing these GVIF interfaces for the touch screen model but nothing for upgrading the non touch screen except a you tube video to wet our appetite but giving no information!! And at $400 for the eBay converter it's a lot of cash to just "give it a go!". I just need someone with more cash than me to give it a go first Whistle

I was thinking I might be able to mount a touch screen over the top of the other display and have it on a hinge or something so I can move it to look at the display when I need to change the radio (it just stays on Triple j anyway). Would be good to get sat nav and reverse camera sorted.

Have you got yourself a Disco 4 yet?

Post #88693422nd Jan 2012 4:59 am
malky

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Good thread topic.

I have the same problem but have am using an el cheapo ebay 5" winCE6 touch screen,bluetooth etc to operate automatically as a reversing camera display. It sits neatly to the RHS of steering wheel just above the dash.

It also has an excellent sat nav on board [which is perhaps a bit too chatty]

However it has only the facility for one video input [altho it was supplied with a cable for 3]
I had been wondering about directing the vid in from the small screen to the 5" color touch screen and having a fiddle with bluetooth but I suspect BT will interface only with the D4 BT phone.

New el cheapo 5" and 7" units with multiple vid inputs will be available soon and I will then pop a camera on the front as well.

Win CE7 is now out and being used in a myriad of gadgets.
 +======
|[___][__\___
|...-........-.......| '0|
+--(O)-------(O)--+

TDI 300 and D3 MY06 SE and Shiraz D4 MY11 with Faerie Lites 

Post #88726823rd Jan 2012 12:19 am
Disco4pilot

Australia 

I managed to email the Russian website unicar and asked about how they put the monochrome non touch screen on the 7 inch touch screen and they were very helpful in perfect English. They have a windows CE car computer that comes with a bracket to replace the non touch screen (looks identical to the Land Rover one) and a DVD player that goes into the glove compartment. The audio just plugs into the aux input on the factory stereo. This comes with navigation software and a bunch of display options. They said they could install Igo 8.3 with maps for Australia but also that it is not locked so you can install any windows CE application (oziexplorer for the off road). I've got Igo in my patrol and it is great. He said he could put it up on eBay with PayPal so you have some buyers protection in case it doesn't work / turn up!

Now for the scary part... The price...

For the computer / screen / and DVD player it's $1000USD and if you want to put the non touch screen display onto the touch screen the video converter is $550USD if you don't use this you have to relocate the screen so you can use the radio and Bluetooth factory functions. They can also supply a reversing camera for $200USD but I think you could easily get one locally cheaper. So all up you are looking at close to $1600 plus installation (if you are not happy to do it yourself) certainly an expensive option compared to a Chinese eBay option but not too bad if you compare with the factory option plus you get way more functionality.

I'm still undecided but if I do end up purchasing I'll post how it all goes. If anyone wants Michael at unicars email address just PM me.

Cheers

Post #88727723rd Jan 2012 1:00 am
caverD3

So no interface which implies the output must just be PAL. So a touch screen more than one input could allow you to scroll to that screen?
Did you specifically ask what the output was and how it is input to the CE device?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #88728423rd Jan 2012 1:43 am
Disco4pilot

Australia 

No you need the interface to change the signal to pal to input it into the touch screen. This cost $550.

The no interface option is to move the screen to another location.

Post #88728723rd Jan 2012 2:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >