Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Disco3 Auto Wiper Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
NathanF

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Disco3 Auto Wiper Problem

I've recently picked up a 2006 TDV6 HSE and it seems that there is a bit of an issue with the Auto wipers not working properly... I'm hoping that someone else may have had a similar problem and found the cause...

If I leave them on the auto setting on the stalk, they will always come on as soon as there is a drop of rain (doesn't matter how long the car has been running for), but they will typically stop working after a random period of time. Sometimes it is less than a minute, other times it could be after 1/2 an hour of constant rain. Sometimes (rarely) they will work properly for the entire journey. The intensity of the rainfall and the speed of the wipers (whether they are wiping intermittently or constantly) doesn't seem to make any difference as to when they stop working as long as they are on auto. They still go off even if it is absolutely belting it down. The sensitivity setting on the stalk also makes no difference to how long they work for (though the rotary dial does appear to work to change the sensitivity).

When they do stop working, switching them off on the stalk won't reset them but flicking the stalk up from auto onto constant wipe and back to auto does reset them and they start working again... for a while. On a few occasions (after umpteen resets - again not a consistent number) they have stayed working on auto for the rest of the journey.

The only exception to the above is if it rains hard enough for the wipers to go onto constant wipe at maximum speed - then instead of stopping they seem to get stuck on max speed (even if it stops raining) until I reset them. Incidentally, the wipers work perfectly fine if I manually put them onto constant wipe and leave them there.

Having done a bit of digging online and to rule out the obvious, it is a genuine Land Rover windscreen though having only bought the car in May, I don't know if it is the original scree or not (be bloody amazed if it is on a 14 year old car!). So it could be that the sensor hasn't been refitted properly - but given the nature of the fault I would have thought that id it were the fitting it would fail more consistently? It will need a new windscreen before MOT in Jan so I'm hoping that may resolve it. If not I'm guessing it's more likely a faulty rain sensor, but before I change it (or brave taking it to a LR mechanic) I was curious to see if anyone has any suggestions?

Lastly, all of the cars I have had previously with auto wipers had the rain sensor linked to the auto headlamps so that once the wipers have kicked in the lights would come on after a min or so. Is this the case with the Disco, or are the lights purely controlled by light levels? I've noticed that it seems to take a very long time for them to come on when it starts raining (assuming that the wipers haven't stopped first) so I typically end up switching them on manually. After experimenting this morning, I switched them from on to Auto after it had been raining for some time and they stayed on for a while but then went off on their own, despite it still raining heavily and the wipers (ironically) staying on. They later came back on and this time stayed on even though the wipers had to be reset a couple of times, remaining on till I got to work (despite the rain being very light by that point).

Post #216111615th Jul 2020 10:06 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

rain sensor.

You may find the adjustment knob changes the delay on the rear wiper.
When you come to a stand still it's normal for the wipers to go down a level. Is it at traffic lights the wiper stops? If no, it could be a sensor problem, or a wheel speed sensor issue (ABS) that thinks you aren't moving anymore.

auto lights.

I know some Jags will turn the lights on with the wipers, but the disco doesn't do this.
Light sensor is poor on these. It needs to be very dark for them to be on

Post #216114115th Jul 2020 12:47 pm
NathanF

Hi Pete

Thanks for the quick reply. The wipers usually stop at 70mph on the A1!! Not the greatest... TBF they've stopped at all speeds.

Interesting thought on the wheel speed sensor. Do you know if a dodgy sensor would show up if the garage plug in the fault code reader? Not sure if that wouldn't bring up ABS light (or other warning lights) on the dash though?

Thanks for confirming re the lights - agree sensor level is awful!! May have to think about retrofitting DRLs, especially since most cars on the road have them now so will be at a disadvantage... It wouldn't be too bad if there was a side light/headlamp indicator on the dash so that you knew they were on when it isn't dark enough to see the beam, rather than having to work out if the information display has dimmed or not!

Post #216114615th Jul 2020 1:01 pm
Pete K

If there was an wheel sensor fault, yes the ABS light would be on.

Yes the lack of light on the dash is poor too! Later models have a light.

1) you can do a dash software update (if you have gap iid) which puts a red light on, at the bottom of the dash.
or
2) You can put an green LED on leads, and shove it into the dash hole (bottom left) and connect to the side light switch.
(i've put a tri coloured one in mine - green=lights on, red=remote FBH active)
or
3) you could mod the headlight switch, by fitting a red led on long leads directly behind the sidelight symbol. This is a marginal improvement, but better than trying to notice if the dials are lit!

&t=7s

These should fit D3 as well.

Post #216118315th Jul 2020 4:11 pm
Lrsg

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have exactly the same problem with the rain sensor. I have not been able to find a solution, so I have pretty much given up and removed the fuse (18). That allows the wipers to be operated manually, including the intermittent function, but of course also disables the auto lights. If anyone has worked out how to fix the rain sensors please give a shout.

Post #216119415th Jul 2020 4:48 pm
Lrsg

Fuse no 18 it should read

Post #216119515th Jul 2020 4:49 pm
NathanF

Thanks Pete - sounds like a project for the summer!

Thanks LRSG - doesn't fill me with confidence... Can I just ask though if you tried replacing the rain sensor, and if you have ruled out faulty windscreen/sensor re-installation as the cause?

I thought about trying to call a couple of LR dealerships to at least find out if it is something that they have come across before, though I can bet there response will just be to bring it in...

Post #216119615th Jul 2020 4:53 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Switching off auto lights/wipers is one of the better mods you can do to a D3.

Post #216119815th Jul 2020 4:59 pm
Lrsg

While I don't miss the auto wipers very much, I'd like to have the auto lights working if possible...
I have not tried to replace the rain sensor, but I am confident the installation is in order. So the problem must lie somewhere else, but I don't have much of a clue what it could be. Maybe a completely new sensor is the only answer?

Post #216121015th Jul 2020 6:07 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Related question on the subject of auto wipers...

Mine are borked - the rain sensor is sending information to the BCU, but the BCU is not translating this into trigger information to the wipers.

It's been suggested previously that updating the CCF to remove the auto-wiper function will restore regular intermittent wipe functionality (which would be absolutely fine - anything to avoid having to flick the wipers manually every few seconds in the drizzle!). But when I mentioned this to my local LR indy bloke (whose opinion I trust completely), he was very reluctant to do this - his logic being (and I can see where he's coming from) that if the upload of the new information to the CCF happens to fail part way through (unlikely, but possible) it effectively bricks the BCU.

So - if I'm interpreting the above information correctly, would simply pulling fuse 18 just remove the auto wipers and auto lights functions, and give me 'normal' intermittent wiper control?

Post #216121315th Jul 2020 6:17 pm
Jonmoore1970

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

It may be the case that it’s not seated on the glass properly. Check that first.

Post #216121615th Jul 2020 6:29 pm
Lrsg

Yes, removing fuse 18 will enable normal intermittent wiper function, manually operated that is.
As to the sensor being properly seated on the glass, mine is. But still troublesome...

Post #216122215th Jul 2020 7:09 pm
Pete K

For those with elec drivers seat and sunroof

See if those work when the wipers stop

You connect a battery charger when ccf editing

Post #216123215th Jul 2020 8:09 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Lrsg wrote:
Yes, removing fuse 18 will enable normal intermittent wiper function, manually operated that is.

Normal (non-rain-sensing) intermittent function on the wipers doesn't involve any manual intervention, though - my current version of 'intermittent' is a manual activation of the wipers as and when required Laughing .

Quote:
As to the sensor being properly seated on the glass, mine is. But still troublesome...

Yes, sensor is functioning fine and is seated correctly on the screen - the problem is somewhere in the BCU.

Post #216126015th Jul 2020 11:24 pm
Pete K

Maybe of interest

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/discovery-3...89300.html

Post #216126215th Jul 2020 11:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >