Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Duel Battrey - Whats Involved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Biz - no need to be sceptical Thumbs Up

Cables run from the spare battery compartment, through a grommet in the bulk head, into the cabin and under the door trim to the back of the vehicle. Or anywhere else you want it. Removing the trim really is easy - pull and it unclips.

Split charger is a little black control box that neatly fits in the spare battery compartment with plenty of space for the battery. And in a space that does not overheat.

Removing the second battery is easy - just undo the clamp and undo the cables Thumbs Up The main cable to the primary battery has a plug so that can quickly be disconnected as well.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #58501319th Jan 2010 5:40 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Don't run an inverter to power the laptops, just get a 12v laptop adapter. Why waste all that power of 12v => 240v => 16-20v laptop voltage.
get a 12v laptop adapter & yoiu just go 12v => 16-20v (or whatever voltage you work at).
Much more energy efficient.

you can also get a 12v Microwave, member xtc has one (but it's been sat in the box for a couple of months.....)
But the Traxide unit works well & will cope with what yoiu have in mind Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #58502019th Jan 2010 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks JF! Thumbs Up

Still unclear though, what is the purpose of the cables running to the back of the car (or anywhere else). I thought the split charger only regulates the charging of two batteries? Confused

Post #58502419th Jan 2010 5:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

Cheers Bodsy! Thumbs Up

Yes, I thought it's not the most efficient way re: the laptops, but one of the inverters is used for camera charging as well... I guess no reason not to get at least one laptop car charger...

On the microwave issue, yes a 12V is what's on my mind but if Mrs gets her wish I am thinking too much drainage on a single battery set-up...

Post #58502919th Jan 2010 5:58 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Cables to back of the car are for powering accessories off the 2nd battery Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #58504019th Jan 2010 6:22 pm
SGH

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

I fitted my Traxide kit easy peasy.

Did not bother with the kit to the rear as i only intend to power my Engel. I saw on here from Wiggs I think how to make 12v
sockets permanently live so have done that.

Simon
 Defender 300Tdi 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montalcino Red/Black Pack - Gone
Connect L2 Double Cab - Moondust Silver
Connect L1 - Moondust Silver
VW California Ocean 150PS DSG - Reflex Silver 

Post #58509019th Jan 2010 7:29 pm
JF Lux

Biz wrote:
Still unclear though, what is the purpose of the cables running to the back of the car (or anywhere else).

As ND has said - but would add if you want to add additional power sockets to the fitted LR ones. Of course you can make the LR ones permanent (as per SGH post), fit additional ones as permanent, or do both Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #58509419th Jan 2010 7:35 pm
discoBizz

Thanks all! Thumbs Up

Clear now re the extra wiring... Yes, it was wiggs I think who converted the cover to the nearside (IIRC) boot opening into an electrical panel Shocked (anyone remember the thread those pics are in BTW?)

So I could go with the Traxide and not bother with threadig the wiring to the back (I've already got the LR 12v outlet in the boot and the thought of removing lots of linning isn't appealing at the mo)?... Do they provide blanking caps if the wiring to the rear is not fitted?

Post #58515019th Jan 2010 8:37 pm
JF Lux

Biz - give Tim (Drivesafe on here) a call.

Its probably a lot easier to run new cables to the rear and fit additional power sockets than it is to hook up the existing ones to the aux battery.

You don't need to rip/remove lining. Its all plastic panels and clip and play... Thumbs Up

Post #58515519th Jan 2010 8:41 pm
discoBizz

Thanks JF, will do Thumbs Up

Might be ignorant though, isn't the second battery fit in parallel to the first (i.e. same voltage, more amps)? If so, why would I need to wire the aux battery to the system other than "join it" to the primary? Confused

Post #58569720th Jan 2010 2:10 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Too much work for the alternator if you just connect it up without a voltage sensing relay. You want the alternator to restore your cranking batter first, then start charging both. Likewise by isolating the aux. circuits and running them on the 2nd battery you'll not run the risk of leaving something plugged in to an aux socket overnight and not being able to start the car.

Failing that, try hitting it with a badger. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #58569820th Jan 2010 2:16 pm
discoBizz

Laughing

I see... got to do this properly then... of to call Down Under for more...

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #58571020th Jan 2010 2:36 pm
XX03

United Kingdom 

drivesafe wrote:
Also if you want to charge the battery regularly, to save having to open the bonnet all the time, you can fit a length of twin cable, and it can be thin cable, to the cranking battery terminals and run it to the front of the engine bay, to a point where you can access it through the grill.

Or if you have trailer S socket fitted plug into this as I do........Ctek XS3600 to S plug.
 Formerly Blakey  
Post #58876124th Jan 2010 11:06 am
discoBizz

Just a quick follow up as about to get the lot ordered:

which Yellow Top is best for the D3? They seem to have 5 different types:
R2,7
R3,7
S2,7
S5.5
4,2S

From the image alone I am guessing the R3,7?

Thanks

Post #5998239th Feb 2010 11:10 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ISTR it is a D34 Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #5998319th Feb 2010 11:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >