Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Experience Day
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
Experience Day

Well, somehow I find myself still unemployed after an arduous afternoon of looking for a job. I don't fancy spending the rest of the week in front of a computer, so I'm going to try and spoil myself with a Land Rover Experience day.

Does anyone know, is this the sort of thing you can sort out at reasonably short notice, or do I need to plan long ahead for this?

When I discussed this with the dealer, he said I should go along to the main one where you can also get a factory tour - anyone know which one this is, and if that sort of thing actually happens?

Any more advice?

Post #6981411th Jul 2006 10:16 pm
highbridgeflyer

United Kingdom 

Now then Rob,

Have a look at the LR website and it will give you full details and links to the experience centers. They will all have last minute deals advertised on there sites.

Depends on what you want really, but you should find something to suit you.

Post #6982011th Jul 2006 10:59 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As hbf has said, visit http://www.landrover.com/experien/en/Experience/Home.htm and select your local centre. Then call them to see if they have any last minute places. From memory a full day is £250. They often sell empty spaces on the web at a reduced rate a few days before the event.

A better day is to do the factory tour at Solihull. See http://www.landrover.com/experien/en/Exper...extPromo_2
Go for the Gold option and get the factory tour, lunch and then afternoon off-roading. A group of us went (organised through the RRS forum) a few months ago and it was an excellent day. It was amazing to see how the D3s and RRSs are built. It is well worth going on this.
 Matt  
Post #6982111th Jul 2006 11:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

It depends what you want out of your day, if you want to purely concentrate on your driving skills then the LRE day level1 would be a good place to start, if you just want an interesting day out then the factory tour might be better. The latters off road course is a purpose built track rather than the natural countryside that the LRE centres use.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6984012th Jul 2006 8:00 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I think the Level 1 is better for what I want to learn... I'll do the Home of the Legend another time, perhaps I'll treat my dad or something.

Not much in the way of last minute offers from North Yorkshire, for the half day taster they'll let you take two people for £250 total instead of £150 per person. For the Level one stuff it's all full price (as you say Matt, £250).

Being last minute, I'm able to do the level 1 in half a day and have an instructor to myself, but this is probably not a good thing as there's only my mistakes to learn from, not anyone else's!

Regardless, it's booked for Friday morning. Looking forward to it!

Post #6985112th Jul 2006 9:12 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think level 1 should be a whole day, mine was even with the car to yourself. Might be worth double checking.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6985912th Jul 2006 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Well, I had my Experience at Skipton, preceded by a telephone interview Shocked at 8am in a leafy layby.

The experience was brilliant, I know so much more about the control systems now than I did before I went. The knowledge and practise has also raised my confidence in the vehicle - and I can't wait to try it all out in mine! It has to be said, hoofing a 2.7t car around in ever widening circles as the DSC is turned down is definitely great fun. I even enjoyed the 180 spin I managed with the DSC off, although the trainer looked a bit upset, and the car electronics weren't happy either, and needed a reboot.

Any suggestions where I can go and practise my new skills?

Post #7072416th Jul 2006 7:30 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Bobby, if you mean practicing 180 degree spins - you are going to need a huge amount of empty space (and preferably someone elses car). Weardale Offroad centre has some suitable areas for such antics. They are open the first and third Sunday of each month, with the first Sunday being at Cove House Farm near Wolsingham, and the third being at Rodgerley Quarry a bit further up Weardale. The Quarry is much more teachnical, dangerous and potentially damaging than the Farm. Check out their website and ring them for up to date details.

If you fancy using your enhanced offroading skills, I suggest you get out and explore the green lanes of Northumberland. All of the lanes are very dry at present, so far less risk of damaging the routes, but being summer the vegetation can take a lot of nibbles out of your paintwork and "run ins" with other users is quite likely. Careful choice of lane is therefore required.

PM me if you would like some help identifying suitable lanes within an hour of Newcastle (I am assuming "on Tyne").
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #7072516th Jul 2006 7:53 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I like the idea of those 'pay and play' days, and I think that's what I'll go for for now. I don't necessarily want to practise throwing my D3 about with the DSC off, I don't think that's the point. But if I ever wanted to demonstrate what the DSC does to someone else then the space is probably a good idea. I'm unlikely to get hold of someone else's car though!

I still haven't worked out where I stand on green laning. I'm not very good on conflict, and tend to avoid it, so if I'm going to find that I'm Censored ing off hikers all day long then I don't think I'll bother. On the other hand, there aren't many walkers about on week days, and I'm still unemployed...

And yes, I am upon Tyne. I stuck my flag in the Tyne Bridge on Martin's map (although I'm not living under it - things aren't that bad yet!)

Post #7072716th Jul 2006 9:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >