Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Faults (HDC etc) and FBH timer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pgt7787

Faults (HDC etc) and FBH timer

I bought an 05 diesel HSE a few weeks ago and - despite the little problem outlined below - I am really very pleased with it. Only 45k of the clock and so good for a long time to come.

The little problem: the HDC fault/ special programmes off warning comes up after I have been driving for a while. Having read up the numerous threads on here I checked the battery which was the original (6 years old) and only showing 11.6V with no load. So I replaced it but the problem has not gone away.

On further analysis it is chear that the fault comes up after almost exactly 30 minutes of driving. It also happens when nothing else is happening - i.e. not related to hitting the brakes or switching on the wipers, for eample, so the electrics should be in a steady state. Back to this forum and I find that the only item on a 30 minute timer is the FBH. Could it be that this item switching off causes the HDC faults? And, if so, what aspect of the FBH?? The timer, the cables, intrerference with another piece of kit??

For completeness I should say that the cruise control has stopped operating a couple of times. However, again reading on this forum indicates this is common and that a clock spring or a new switch is called for.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

And does anyone know someone who can help with fixing the problem is Guildford area or SW London??

Thanks in advance

G-T

Post #7714997th Mar 2011 11:09 am
Steve H

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Faults (HDC etc) and FBH timer

pgt7787 wrote:
I bought an 05 diesel HSE a few weeks ago and - despite the little problem outlined below - I am really very pleased with it. Only 45k of the clock and so good for a long time to come.

The little problem: the HDC fault/ special programmes off warning comes up after I have been driving for a while. Having read up the numerous threads on here I checked the battery which was the original (6 years old) and only showing 11.6V with no load. So I replaced it but the problem has not gone away.

On further analysis it is chear that the fault comes up after almost exactly 30 minutes of driving. It also happens when nothing else is happening - i.e. not related to hitting the brakes or switching on the wipers, for eample, so the electrics should be in a steady state. Back to this forum and I find that the only item on a 30 minute timer is the FBH. Could it be that this item switching off causes the HDC faults? And, if so, what aspect of the FBH?? The timer, the cables, intrerference with another piece of kit??

For completeness I should say that the cruise control has stopped operating a couple of times. However, again reading on this forum indicates this is common and that a clock spring or a new switch is called for.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

And does anyone know someone who can help with fixing the problem is Guildford area or SW London??

Thanks in advance

G-T

I doubt it would be the FBH unless you have the Webasto timer fitted. The standard installation, when it works, will attempt to start at an ambient temp less than 5 degress with coolant temp below around 75 degrees and once running seems to stay on but eventually at a reduced output until the engine is stopped.
 D4 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey  
Post #7715367th Mar 2011 1:31 pm
pgt7787

I think the timer is Tyco but looks to have been wired in by LR - possibly as an upgrade. I don't have the heater setting available in System Settings so I guess I have all upgrades.

Post #7718908th Mar 2011 11:45 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Share some pics of the timer if you can to see if we can identify it Thumbs Up
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #7718958th Mar 2011 12:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoverEd!

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Should post on a different thread, but couldn't help the envy of such a low mileage for an 05.
Congratulations! Mr. Green

Post #7718998th Mar 2011 12:14 pm
pgt7787

DiscoverEd! wrote:
Should post on a different thread, but couldn't help the envy of such a low mileage for an 05.
Congratulations! Mr. Green

I had been looking for one with low mileage for ages and finally found it. Shame it has this irritating problem and hope I can sort out without too much expense.

At least i have found the Disco3 website!!!

Post #7720648th Mar 2011 8:20 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have/had same hdc prob, i found that when ever the fault was apparent the cruise control wouldnt work while the fault was present,on speaking to main dealer they said i should check battery voltage it could be that or they said it could be alternator problem, mine has gone away for now but thats what i will be checking.
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #7721158th Mar 2011 10:08 pm
pgt7787

When you say
Randylover wrote:
problem ..... has gone away for now
what do you mean exactly? Did it go away for some reason or some action on your part??  
Post #7724369th Mar 2011 8:46 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

pgt7787 wrote:
When you say
Randylover wrote:
problem ..... has gone away for now
what do you mean exactly? Did it go away for some reason or some action on your part??

It seemed to start when it got a bit colder recently, and was more or less only a problem in the mornings, after speaking to dealer when he asked was it in the mornings it clicked then that it was, they say it could be due to lights, heater, heated seats/windscreen etc creating a heavy drain, hence checking the battery and charging,but touch would mine hasn`t been a prob this week.
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #7725199th Mar 2011 10:52 pm
AWD man

England 

If it's coming on after a "fixed time" it could be a transmission module fault.

What tyre/alloy combination are you running? Have you had to replace a tyre or wheel recently?

If your 4 wheels are not spinning at the same rate the car seams to count to 20 million (example) before eventually saying enough is enough and then flash up the dash error.
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #77422114th Mar 2011 4:39 pm
pgt7787

UPDATE: Took the car to Guava in Guildford. Very helpful. While I waited they downloaded the faults, rebooted the software and reset everything.

Problem gone.

Post #77578218th Mar 2011 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >