Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

The Independent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Robbie wrote:

The financially well endowed will buy whatever fashion statement they choose, as they have the means to rise above any additional tax or punitive measure. Buying a second-hand D3 was a major investment for me, but I look forward to being hit in the crossfire as we pander to popularist token gestures.

Amen to that!
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #6587623rd Jun 2006 1:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I too feel the same, I would never dream of taking my D3 to London. My kids all WALK to school no matter what the weather.

I do however respect the free choice of anyone in this country to excercise their right, and drive whatever they are legally entitled to drive wherever they legally wish to, without having to endure the tedious rantings of these people

Post #6587723rd Jun 2006 1:51 pm
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Dear Sir,

With reference to your front cover article “Enemy of the people” - “Gas-guzzling, road-hogging, air-polluting…” I note that when reading a page from your motoring section http://motoring.independent.co.uk/road_tests/article625552.ece when reviewing the BMW 650i you failed emphasize the point that the BMW emits far greater carbon emissions, provides fewer MPG and potentially travels at dangerously higher speeds than that of a large number of 4 x 4 vehicles.
Obviously this was a small error on your part, perhaps tomorrows front page could be titled:
“Shock editorial error ‘The Independent’ is anything but…..!”

Your faithfully,
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #6589023rd Jun 2006 2:27 pm
nobbyclark

Robbie wrote:
but you have to admit the 4x4s are a bit of a plague in our capital.

Wrong. What is a plague is the number of people with vehicles that they do not know how to drive. I was driving my D3 down the Fulham Palace road the other day. A bus was stopped on the left and there were two lanes of queuing traffic on the right going the other way. The gap between the bus and the two lanes of traffic was just wide enough for the D3 to get through. The bloke in the Passat behind didn't have the cojones to squeeze through the same gap that I did. He held up the traffic behind him, I didn't.

Ditto when crossing Albert Bridge: there are a set of width restrictors at each end; I sail through, when drivers of smaller vehicles slow to a crawl to negotiate these obstacles.

I don't have to slow down significantly for roads littered with speedhumps, as most of South London is. I get hugely frustrated when sat behind someone who treats each hump like the north face of the Eiger.

Sorry for ranting on the board. I will now send a letter to the Independent (motto: we haven't got a valid opinion about anything, have you?).
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #6589423rd Jun 2006 2:35 pm
gasdoc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Don't pick out the chelsea tractors

I drive my D3 in cornwall, carry the dogs in the back and occasionally tow a large caravan. Before moving to cornwall I lived in central london for about 20 years and if I still lived there now I bet I would still be driving a D3 or more likely RR Sport. Why? because the D3 is the most comfortable car I have ever owned (and that includes an X5 and Merc SL), it is safe and nice to drive, quiet and refined and built to last. I love it and I don't see why I should have to justify my right to a legal independant free choice to anyone else apart from my partner (who after all has the final say as well as the last word on everything). So we should not be justifying our purchases because we live in the country, but we should be condemning unfair and misinformed criticism of those who exercise their rights wherever they live!

Paul

Post #6589523rd Jun 2006 2:36 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

Steve Wright (on Radio 2) just cited the Independent report and suggested (in a tongue-in-cheek fashion) that it was rubbish. He drives a Range Rover and said he felt he ought to have a greener car but hadn't got round to it yet.

Post #6590023rd Jun 2006 2:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Lets all text and email him, and persuade him otherwise. He really should stick with his FFRR.

Post #6590323rd Jun 2006 2:50 pm
Guy

United Kingdom 

I got the impression that he has no intention of ditching his RR. He mentions it quite frequently and obviously loves it. The way they do their news pieces is quite clever: Wright takes one side of an argument and then has a foil (usually Tim Smith) to put the opposite opinion. This doubtless keeps them clear of accusations of both bias and libel but bcause they are both very sarcastic, they can usually convey their personal opinions quite easily. When Wright read the Indescribablyboring's quote about 4x4 drivers being more likely to use mobile phones and cause accidents he asked, "How on earth do they work that out". Smith's reply was, "They stood on a roundabout in Hammersmith for four minutes". Scathing but probably close to the truth!

Post #6590723rd Jun 2006 2:59 pm
nobbyclark

Here's what I've sent to The Indeterminate:

"Dear Sir

Is my Land Rover really a greater threat to the stability of the world than George Bush's foreign policy, Iran's obsession with nuclear power, North Korea's dalliance with inappropriate weaponry or global terrorism?

Just because a minority of a minority of drivers think they are special (4x4 drivers who do not use a seatbelt but drive whilst on the 'phone), it does not warrant such a sensationalist headline.

The research that was the basis for the story has been twisted so that the article has turned into a typical rant against 4x4s, containing all of the usual, baseless arguments. Why compare the fuel consumption of a vehicle that is bought by a tiny percentage of drivers (a petrol Range Rover) with that of a car that is far more prevalent (a Mondeo)? 90% of '4x4s' are diesel and will significantly better the 25mpg quoted in your article for the Mondeo.

I thought the purpose of The Independent was to put forward a balanced point of view, not a one-sided argument that is masking a hidden agenda.

Yours faithfully"
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #6590923rd Jun 2006 3:02 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

nobbyclark wrote:
Robbie wrote:
but you have to admit the 4x4s are a bit of a plague in our capital.

Wrong...

I was driving my D3 down the Fulham Palace road the other day...the gap between the bus and the two lanes of traffic was just wide enough for the D3 to get through....

I sail through, when drivers of smaller vehicles slow to a crawl to negotiate these obstacles....I

don't have to slow down significantly for roads littered with speedhumps....

I get hugely frustrated when sat behind someone who treats each hump like the north face of the Eiger....

Jesus wept! Just who's side are you on!!!

Post #6591123rd Jun 2006 3:07 pm
SN

Gareth wrote:
... I would never dream of taking my D3 to London.

Its quite a hoot actually - there are VERY few D3's about - far more FFRR's and RRS's, thus making the D3 a bit special (which we know it is anyway 8) )
Gareth wrote:

My kids all WALK to school no matter what the weather.
So do mine! Excellent! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6592523rd Jun 2006 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My e-mail to the independent got bounced back?
"There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server"

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #6592923rd Jun 2006 4:21 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

maybe we've sent them into meltdown 8) (or my mate wasn't joking about a tactical nuclear strike Shocked )

Post #6597423rd Jun 2006 9:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

An idea for when or if we have to protest.

What would happen if everyone in the country that drove a 4x4, informed their bank that they wanted to withdraw all their money out of their bank accounts all on the same day.
Keep it for a day then return it or count it and give it back.

I know that security may be an issue but can you imagine the amount of cash the banks will have to have available all on the same day.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #6601123rd Jun 2006 10:48 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

AndrewS wrote:
....or count it and give it back.

So ....a three minute protest then Andrew Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6601223rd Jun 2006 10:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >