DISCO4.COM > General

The Independent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
The Independent

Full frontpage today declaring the 4x4 as public enemy No.1....more details later Evil or Very Mad
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6578723rd Jun 2006 7:15 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Does that mean I have to drive wearing a balaclava from now on Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #6579023rd Jun 2006 7:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Is it the same thing that is getting spewed out in the ITV news this morning saying that 4X4 owners are twice as likely to break the law by using mobiles while driving and not wearing seatbelts?

Funnily enough the main show is being presented by that Penny something or other who presented that c--p the other night.

Me thinks she may be a undercover tree hugging (no offence DickGriff Wink ) Greenpi$$ lesbo Evil or Very Mad
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6579123rd Jun 2006 7:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Full story here:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_me...095828.ece

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6579223rd Jun 2006 7:38 am
LRtuning

Maybe we should infiltrate the enemy Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #6579523rd Jun 2006 7:46 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Why don't the anti 4x4 lobby have a go at the one vehicle on today's roads, driven by a "professional" that:
guzzles fuel at the rate of 5-10 mpg;
spews out more CO2 than any other vehicle;
chokes up our major roads when it joins with others in endless convoys;
spends miles overtaking another one because it is going 0.5mph faster;
whose load is likely to drop off and block the road for hours because the "professional" driving it didn't tie the load down properly;
is swerving all over the road because the "professional" behind the wheel is trying to text his wife to say he'll be late home;
has just sideswiped an overtaking car because the Lithuanian professional on the 'wrong' side of the cab is not obliged to fit blindspot mirrors;

They'll have something to really get their teeth into then!!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #6579623rd Jun 2006 8:06 am
LRtuning

I actually think that the government secretly 'supports' the anti 4x4 activists as it wont be long before a 4x4 road tax is introduced!
Post #6579823rd Jun 2006 8:10 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

Hang on a minute... who did Jeremy Clarkson describe as "clinically insane"? 4 x 4 drivers? Or Malcolm Wicks and Ken Livingstone? That's a very ambiguous bit of journalism. Just what one would expect from that dull, republican rag.

Post #6579923rd Jun 2006 8:18 am
SimonH

England 

The trouble with this bandwagon is that with both main political parties being so shallow and populist (these days?) it is exactly the sort of issue they can jump on, it cost them little to nothing, says they are listening to the people and affects relatively few within the country.

That Penny programme the other night was an affront to balanced and informed journalism, seeking only to sway an arguement one way. One thinks the agenda must have been at least partially funded by the anti 4x4 groups, or at least partially by Mercedes.

There will have to be a balancing movement from 4x4 manufacturers, the motor sales groups and owners groups. This will have to be done quickly before the rug is pulled from under us and Mr chancellor sniffs another easy tax rise.

It does seem to be the case that ( and I'm only observing here ) the urban 4x4 is tarring the blanket for all, and that if the cars were not so in the sad greenie urbanite's faces we might all get an easier ride. I, for one, was shocked at the numbers of Range Rovers et al on the steets of London last summer. Why should all 4x4 owners nationally be penalised for using their cars for what they were designed for just because a "few" wish to have them as fashion accessories to take the kids to school in?

I have purchased my 4x4 for a number of reasons, towing, fording flooded roads (which are increasingly common in my part of North Yorkshire), being able to carry the whole family, wife, 3 kids plus elderly relatives who can no longer drive and not forgetting 2 large (GSD) dogs, loadspace flexibility and going off-road for shooting etc.

I am sad my chosen vehicle is NME 1 but feel that if we ignore these blinkered rantings, which is advocated by some on this forum, OUR choice will be taken from us. Remember hunting, smoking, 'tis a grey old world we are heading to if this lot keep getting their way.

I shall now take a breath.......
 NOW SOLD: 2006 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt silver with Alpaca Leather
Tow Pack, PTI, Full Size Spare 

Last edited by SimonH on 23rd Jun 2006 8:43 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6580123rd Jun 2006 8:26 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

turbochip wrote:
I actually think that the government secretly 'supports' the anti 4x4 activists as it wont be long before a 4x4 road tax is introduced!

Hmm. That'll be interesting - who saw BBC ONE news last night? Tony Blair in Bristol getting into an armoured P38 Range Rover followed by diplomatic protection officers in a new Range Rover (I bet that's chipped!), and I bet they are both petrol not diesel!

Last edited by Guy on 23rd Jun 2006 8:29 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6580223rd Jun 2006 8:28 am
Pelyma

England 

Of course it supports the movement, 4x4s are the next big toff icon after fox hunting. The only way to fight this type of article is to write to them and tell them you are not buying the newspaper. It is pointless arguing with people who have closed minds and are not being honest about their real objection. It is nothing to do with carbon emissions etc, it is they do not liked being looked down on by a bigger car. This equates to the squire looking down on the peasants.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6580323rd Jun 2006 8:29 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

If twenty of us took Pelyma's suggestion and wrote to the Indescribablyboring telling them that we are not buying their newspaper it probably would have an effect - that's half their circulation!

Post #6580423rd Jun 2006 8:32 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hang on guys and gals! should we not be sending all these view points to the paper so they can hear us protesting?

Send your views to this address [email protected]

Put the facts straight, tell the truth, and lets stop this one sided viewpoint.

Post #6580523rd Jun 2006 8:36 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

A few thoughts.....

Other than Red Ken's warblings AFAIK nobody in the government has spoken out with anything anti-4x4 (Unfortunately the likes of the NERC bill does directly affect us off-road but it affects trail riders and others too)? Yes there's been road tax rises but these are bound to happen anyway and are directed at all larger engined (higher emission) vehicles not solely those with four wheel drive.
If the government was to bring in anything that is directly aimed at 4x4's then that is the point at which action/protests in whatever form must start. To be effective and respected such protests have to stay completely within the law though and inconvenience innocent parties as little as possible

There is far too much bullsh*t in the press nowadays about 4x4's and we should all complain to the publications concerned but they're not going to take much notice, they're in the business of selling papers and to do that they'll print whatever makes the uneducated public buy them.

As far as the 'antis' are concerned I'll continue to ignore them unless they do anything that directly affects the use of our chosen vehicles. They want as much publicity as possible to further their mistaken cause, ignoring them is the best way to ensure they don't get it.
 The End  
Post #6580723rd Jun 2006 9:09 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Perhaps we should try a bit of reverse pshycology here......why don't we all join Greenpeace, The Ramblers, Anti-4x4 Alliance and all the other misguided groups...sit as dormant members....put their stickers in the back window of our D3's Very Happy ....and then disrupt their AGM's en mass and vote against any constitutional points raised involving 4x4s.

Wouldn't that be fun Wink
Post #6581023rd Jun 2006 9:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >