Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Leaning to the Right
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Silverwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Leaning to the Right

Had the D4 about a month now and to say I am pleased is an understatement. Had to have it into the dealers to repair some loose trim (passenger door handle cover) and replacement of a cable for the front door that was preventing the second stage (deadlock) of the security system from setting. It kind of reaffirms the view that for many dealers, the pre-inspection is a bit of a joke Mad

However, as is the case with 'new' cars, I tend to examine all the parts in minute detail over a period of time and all looks good now...apart from I have noticed that the right side of the car appears lower than the left, at the front and the back. I was trying to convince myself it was an optical illusion (uneven ground etc) but I have come to the conclusion there is defineatly a difference, with the right side about 1-2 cm lower.

So, firstly, is this normal and secondly, any ideas if this is a major issue, or just needs a recalibration of the electronics that manage the air suspension. Car is under warranty, so not worried, just want to make sure I am not missing something.

Post #8559007th Nov 2011 9:55 am
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Can't imagine it's correct! Is this all the time, or when turned off and allowed to settle?

Find a flat bit of hard surfaced ground - road / concrete etc - and get your tape measure out. Then return to dealer...
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #8559397th Nov 2011 12:14 pm
Silverwood

Seems to be all the time, although bizarrely, I don't always notice it. As you say, trip number 2 to the dealers is required (but I will measure up to make sure I am not more optically challenged than I thought). Thumbs Up

Post #8562107th Nov 2011 11:15 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Mine is currently listing to the left (nearside).
Can't find anything immediately wrong with mine either. D3 not a 4.
Funnily enough, I followed a silver D3 along the A331 last week with exactly the sane problem.
No fault codes showing so perhaps just needs recalibration.
I do park up with the offside wheels on a kerb on a regular basis, not sure if that has created the problem, you never know though!!
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #8562198th Nov 2011 12:00 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If on a level surface it should self level and be even. on uneven surfaces it can be out. So make sure the surface is level and the vehicle has has settled before measuring.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8562398th Nov 2011 3:14 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

This happens a lot with used vehicles. Dont really know the cause but suspect the height sensors degrade with long term use and guve a different reading. A suspension calibration will fix it. Dealers have limited scope within their tools to make large adjustments but faultmate and others can adjust. Find someone locally with a diagnostic unit

Post #8562458th Nov 2011 5:28 am
Silverwood

Unnecessary quote removed

With the car being less than 18months old, and with 10k on the clock, not sure the "long term" element would apply here, but taking some comfort from the calibration capability. Good to hear. Smile

Post #8562508th Nov 2011 7:11 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

next time you park (assuming your garage/carport has a level surface) leave the engine running, select park, set the handbrake, and hop out of the car, open the driver's window and close the door, wait a minute or so, and then shut off the engine.
what you see now is as level as you are gonna get.

often, if you shut off the car, and hop out immediately, you will get a little "fart" when the vehicle tries to level, and sometimes (if you are alone in the vehicle) the driver's side will then be slightly higher up as a result of the vehicle not having leveled yet. If you are really heavy it may take more than one attempt to level, seeing as the suspension would have had slightly more pressure in the driver's side so as to remain level when you are in the vehicle.

Also, and I know this sounds obvious, but make sure you are parked on perfectly level ground when you observe the relative heights of the left & right - at my office I have been told a few times that my vehicle is leaning, and when I go out and have a look, my vehicle is the only one that is level, but looks odd because our parking is sloped quite a lot left-to-right, and the other vehicles have coil springs and dont level

Post #8562548th Nov 2011 7:45 am
Silverwood

Thanks for the tips chaps. I am now in search of flat ground Embarassed Would you believe that now I am looking for it (on my normal route/parking places) everything looks uneven. Even the multi strory car park floor has a gradient on it. I am now looking for hidden cameras filming me squatting in strange places staring at my car Whistle

Post #8563568th Nov 2011 2:27 pm
Silverwood

Baben, tried your method, and yes, it leans. Can get a hand width between tyre and bodywork on the right (just) but there's lots of room on the left.

Off to the dealers we go. I'll report back for those interested

Post #8565678th Nov 2011 8:46 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Hope this helps as I went through the same process a couple of months ago..

The measurement that you want is from centre of hub on each wheel to the top of the wheel arch - mine was high at the rear off-side and this, in turn, pushes it low on the front nearside!

When I spoke to the dealer they suggested LRA - the chap who turned up actually had a measure that attached over three wheel nuts in order to give a truly consistent centre of hub location. He tried to re-set the air suspension three times before admitting defeat... the thing is that if LRA can't fix it, you get a replacement car, if you simply rock up at the dealer you are subject to the whims of whether they have a loan vehicle.

Incidentally, any loan car via LRA is also insured for your use by the dealer if it's under warranty!

They say that they changed an airbag on mine - not entirely sure how this affects the height as this is surely all done by sensors and pumps but, heyho... who am I to argue?

'tis all nice and level now...

My dealer was Marshalls of Bedford if your people need steering in a direction!
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #8567229th Nov 2011 11:09 am
Silverwood

Thanks, this is a very interesting angle to take here. I was under the impression LRA would be for items that cause the car to be undriveable or unsafe. Not sure mine would fall into that category. When you rang LRA, did they treat it with some degree of urgency, or was it a 'we'll get to you when we can' attitude (excuse ignorance, new to LR so not clear how the LRA works)?

Post #8567339th Nov 2011 11:25 am
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

The dealer's approach was that anything out of kilter could render the car unsafe - I had also been driving around unwittingly for some time... it was only returning from the pub that I noticed the lean and put this down to the fine food and wine...

With this in mind they were all for LRA being involved as suspension is deemed to be safety critical.

LRA were out later the same day - I get the impression that they have specific technicians who get booked out as required whereas breakdown gets you an AA chap with support from LRA if available.
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #8567409th Nov 2011 11:40 am
Silverwood

Sounds like the route to take. Great input, and much appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #8567419th Nov 2011 11:43 am
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

LiftedDisco wrote:
... it was only returning from the pub that I noticed the lean

Classic! Rolling with laughter
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #8567449th Nov 2011 11:48 am