Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

restricted performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
restricted performance

Picked up our new Disco 4 last night from Guy Salmon, and the wife has just phoned me to say she has a message "restricted performance" with a red triangle, and the car won't go quicker than 30mph!
Its only done 80 miles!
What do I do?!!

Post #8790565th Jan 2012 11:13 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Call LRA or take it back Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8790585th Jan 2012 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
t7mbo

Just wondering whether I should claim the car is not of merchantable quality and insist on a refund....

Not at all happy!

Post #8790645th Jan 2012 11:28 am
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My new D3 did the same kind of thing from 80 miles, it just went into limp mode, I called LRA who reset the ECU but it kept doing it for 18mths, you would never know when it would happen next, mostly on motorways in the fast lane dropping you immediately without warning to 30mph or thereabouts which was utterly dangerous. I got so Censored off I parked it in a car park and left it for 6 mths, never drove it, I eventually gave up and did drive it but put pressure on LR, it was eventually found to require a new turbo but that had taken 18mths, that was after it had been towed in about 8 times having different things replaced.

I guess what I am trying to say is MAKE them fix it NOW and prove the fault, or you will be haunted with a vehicle you just can't trust that really Censoreds you off every time you get in it not knowing if it is going to conk out. Mine is just 3yrs old and since the new turbo 18mths ago has not missed a beat, shame they didn't do that on day one to save the aggro I still can't really forgive them for giving me with a brand new car. I only do limited miles in it but the thought of buying a new D4 puts the fear into me that I could end up with more aggro being their product development tool / fool using a lot of the unnecessary Censored that they put in cars these days that just drain your batteries and cause major issues when they go wrong, keep it simple and functional is my motto Thumbs Up

Post #8790755th Jan 2012 11:57 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

it can have that message for many reasons. Personallly I'd let the LRA guy come out and have a look/read codes etc as it may be something really simple.

Of course if it's repeating after they have a go at fixing it, then rejection is an option. Just document all the issues (hopefully it will be fixed easily) and noting inconvenience caused etc. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8790785th Jan 2012 12:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I'd echo the advice to get LRA out to look at it. LRA should than also give you a record of the visit/findings and actions they took. Make sure you do get that document and it reflects the symptoms / problem properly. Then you have the evidence on case things go on further.

(Also, make sure you get an LRA person out to you. I got offered a standard AA person as an option as they were nearby but they don't carry the LR diagnostic kit so I refused and LRA Disco turned up a couple of hours later.)

Hopefully, you can just file and forget. I got this on one occasion, guy came out, no errors appeared on the diagnostic system and it restarted without issue. Never had a prob since.

Post #8791925th Jan 2012 3:00 pm
t7mbo

Have contacted the dealer and they are sending out their demo car for us and collecting our car.

My wife has just arrived at my offices with our car. She said the warning was up on her journey to court (she's a magistrate). When the car had stood for a couple of hours, she got back in it and their was no warning message until she had driven 3 miles down the road.
I have now driven the car myself, and although there was no warning when I started the engine, the restricted performance message came up after about 3 miles. It won't go over 40mph in restricted mode.

So even though the message doesn't come up after the car has been standing, it reappears after about 3 miles of driving.

Post #8791945th Jan 2012 3:06 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Not good, but it is reassuring that it can be replicated under the same conditions. Should make it easier to find the problem. Thumbs Up
Keep us up to date.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #8791965th Jan 2012 3:07 pm
t7mbo

they have dropped off a new range rover sport.
just taken it round the block, and it drives sooo much better than the disco!
more responsive, no turbo lag...

surely this is how the disco should drive if its got the same engine and gearbox!

Post #8792445th Jan 2012 5:04 pm
RD3

New Zealand 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

How many miles has the RRS done? As others have mentioned the gearbox/turbo characteristics seem to change after a 1000 miles or so. Mine just clicked over a 1000 miles and it seems like the car has reconfigured itself. There used to be a very noticeable delay just after taking off, either changing gear or the turbo (not sure which). This has now gone and it is much more responsive and quicker off the mark.

Post #8794165th Jan 2012 9:54 pm
t7mbo

dealer has just phoned and says it is a 'vacuum pipe' ?
apparently on back order from Landrover, so won't see the car till I don't know when!!

Post #8797026th Jan 2012 12:40 pm
t7mbo

RD3 wrote:
How many miles has the RRS done? As others have mentioned the gearbox/turbo characteristics seem to change after a 1000 miles or so. Mine just clicked over a 1000 miles and it seems like the car has reconfigured itself. There used to be a very noticeable delay just after taking off, either changing gear or the turbo (not sure which). This has now gone and it is much more responsive and quicker off the mark.

car was only registered by the delaer yesterday, so its brand new with 36 miles on the clock.

Post #8797036th Jan 2012 12:41 pm
Discotres

Nothing has changed then, still the shoddy workmanship and lack of quality control carries on Rolling Eyes

Post #8797056th Jan 2012 12:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

t7mbo wrote:
Its only done 80 miles!
What do I do?!!

If it was me i'd reject it in a heart beat!

Last edited by DSL on 6th Jan 2012 1:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8797076th Jan 2012 12:46 pm
Discotres

I went through that, then turbo actuator, then this and that, as an added bonus XYZ switch, then 18mths later new Turbo. Be warned, this happening WILL have a severe effect in your trust of the vehicle, you will be wondering what will happen next or if it will happen again, it ruined my whole experience of buying a new D3 and it has started on ou already, unfair when paying big bucks for a so called new car Rolling Eyes

I would do as DSL states and reject it immediately, or at least commence the procedure and tell them you want a new one, I wonder why any PDI didn't pick it up.

Post #8797116th Jan 2012 12:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >