Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Snow driving tips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
grizzlymac

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

On my landrover driving day the instructor said in deep snow your sometimes better off using the mud and ruts as opposed to the snow program. Not had a chance to test it but roll on winter.
As said in other posts here the disco if great in snow but doesn't stop that easy as it's a big mass with a lot of momentum and give junctions plenty time to slow down gradually. Easy on all the peddles and the one of the biggest improvements in poor conditions is good tires. The original spec is good but if your doing a lot of the rough stuff then get an AT tire.

Post #8550344th Nov 2011 3:49 pm
lordoftheflatbush

Netherlands 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4
snowchains on D4

I have a D4 and know you officially are not advised to fit snowchains. I saw several videos, also from LR Experience, where D4 drove with snowchains. My question: is this possible in a standard D4 (with 255/55/19 wheels) or do I have to fit wheel spacers to create more room to fit tyres and reduce the risk of damage.

Post #8552384th Nov 2011 11:24 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
these maybe

Spike spiders, Quatrro Clack & Go, RUD , Thule or Maggi devices that dont have any part behind the wheel
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #8558977th Nov 2011 9:30 am
Dinsdale

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Yep, I agree with BL. EXCEPT Weissenfells Quatro Clack & Go SUV are a full-wrap chain which LR do not recommend. They ARE however the best full wrap auto chain I have ever used so far.

All of the other brands he suggests do a surface fit mechanism that affixes via your own wheel bolts, usually by some form of chuck mechanism that grips the original bolt heads, (Spikes-Spiders do a special metal plate that has to be prefitted to the car and left on).

The chains themselves DO NOT go anywhere near the back of the wheel/tyre like conventional chains and so cannot interfere with any pipework, suspension parts etc. All of them are probably the EASIEST and CLEANEST type of chain to fit AND remove. It might be possible however to slide them OFF the tyre with vigorous activity on hard pack or tarmac as they of course are not LOCKED onto the tyre like conventional chains by being totally wrapped round them. I think you'd be bl Censored dy mad to try though Shocked

These types of chain I suspect however will not give you as much traction and side grip as full-wrap chains and I doubt will be as good on ice as there have to be fewer ice-links in the chain design, simply becasue of the smaller total surface area of chain.

Don't forget decent PROPER winter rated tyres will give you far more overall control than all season/summer rated tyres with chains. AND ONLY fit chains to the FRONT wheels and USUALLY better with TC switched off in most circumstances.

They ALL make fitments for 255/55/19 tyres. Spikes-Spiders are the LR recommended ones but DON'T pay LR premium prices. They are ALL more expensive than the most expensive quick-fit conventional chains BUT unlike most chains can be resized more easily, either themselves or with spares, to fit a wide range of wheel/tyre sizes, so you DON'T have to change them every time you have a different wheel/tyre combo.

For my money I think the Magi Trax 4x4/SUV look the best combination of design/fitting/durability and chain link design but Spikes Spiders are probably the very easiest of the lot to fit on-the-go.

You can be stopped in some ski resorts in Europe if you DON'T have a set of snow chains, EVEN in a 4x4 Land Rover with winter tyres.

Clive
 If it don't fit the third time - try a bigger hammer  
Post #8562328th Nov 2011 1:19 am
lordoftheflatbush

Netherlands 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

I bought the Weissenfells Quatro Clack & Go SUV recently and fitted them on the rear axle (to try out).
There is plenty space around, so I don't see the reason why this wouldn't be possible.
I also check with Matzker in Koln/Germany and they confirmed they drove already a lot with chains on both axles.
I bought one set for usage on the rear axle, just in case. I drive around with Pirelli snow tyres, so this is not necessary hopefully. In two week I go to Austria and hope for (some) snow.
Keep you posted.

Post #8670464th Dec 2011 10:32 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

lordoftheflatbush wrote:
I bought the Weissenfells Quatro Clack & Go SUV recently and fitted them on the rear axle (to try out).
There is plenty space around, so I don't see the reason why this wouldn't be possible.
I also check with Matzker in Koln/Germany and they confirmed they drove already a lot with chains on both axles.
I bought one set for usage on the rear axle, just in case. I drive around with Pirelli snow tyres, so this is not necessary hopefully. In two week I go to Austria and hope for (some) snow.
Keep you posted.

I thought the recommendation was, with just a single pair of chains, to fit those to a drive and steering wheels. In other words the front rather than rear for a Disco. I suspect there may be more clearance issues on the front.

Though to be fair, putting them on the rear has to be better than none at all!

Post #8674415th Dec 2011 9:00 pm
Dinsdale

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Richard B is correct there is an absolute LR statement to ONLY fit to the FRONT wheels, traction devices of a certain type - which are NOT of the FULL-WRAP design.

Snow chain suppliers will say the same thing AND interestigly Clack & Go were the ONLY make that could be fitted to my X3 and to the FRONT only.

There is also no doubt that IF you are fitting ONE set to a FULL-TIME four wheel drive this should be on the FRONT only.

I would not run my Clack & Go on the front of a D4, as even though a very low profile link, it is mighty close to the upper wish bone- less than an ich I would say. With as much suspension travel as you can get in a DISCO I'd be surprised if if it might not rub at some point - and those links are damn hard and could cut through most things given time.

I'm afraid I don't agree re rear only, as you want steer and stop not just POWER. I could get through anything in My 3 & 5 series Beemers and even the S Type with chains on the back, BUT NOT necessarily in the RIGHT direction of travel Rolling with laughter
 If it don't fit the third time - try a bigger hammer  
Post #8676946th Dec 2011 3:19 pm
cold_n_wet

Norway 

I regular use Konig No problems on the front with 17" standard Landrover wheels.

I dont have a clearance problem.

On the steep climbs to our cabin, I felt the back end slip all over the place.

I will get another set for the back me thinks
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #8678036th Dec 2011 8:27 pm
Migster

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What a load of good advice.
Thanks everyone who contributed.
I guess we all learned something.

John
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/8851994@N05/sets/  
Post #8678596th Dec 2011 9:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to: