Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Snow on roads: MTRs or Scorpions?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
D3Norway

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

To put it this way, not a single soul would drive with their MTR's during the winter here in Norway, they are rubbish and dangerous on winter roads. Most D3 drivers in Norway also think the Pirelli Ice and Snow are rubbish, due to their hard rubber compound not designed for nordic icy roads.
In this case I would say you are better off using your Pirellis. I suppose if you get really offroad in snow MTR's would do, but on roads with snow Pirellis will be fine. Its stopping and skidding thats our main consern.

I suppose in wet snow MTR's is okey, once it gets below freezing they are really not what you want on your rims. Would be like summer tires...

My self I drive on Studded Nokian Hakkas SUV 5. It makes the D3 a train on ICE covered roads Very Happy
 christian@betekconsult.com  
Post #56924122nd Dec 2009 11:20 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mtrs work fine for me if it gets really bad i have snow chains been out working in my van front wheel drive got chains for tht as well used them today once to get up and down an icy track no problem.

Post #56925122nd Dec 2009 11:44 pm
D3Norway

Obviously with chains you are okey, I'm talking about when you are doing 50-60 mph on twisty B-roads with ice and polished hard snow you would really not want to be on MTR's...
Post #56925222nd Dec 2009 11:53 pm
SN

D3Norway wrote:
when you are doing 50-60 mph on twisty B-roads with ice and polished hard snow

you would really not want to be on MTR's doing that full stop Shocked
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #56925423rd Dec 2009 12:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Why do you think Scandinavians make such good rally drivers. Laughing

I agree with D3Norway though, MTRs are no good on compacted snow/ice. It's the D3 that makes them seem ok, but with correct tyres it is much better.

Post #56925723rd Dec 2009 12:25 am
D3Norway

Well, main roads and some b roads are salted and sanded, but not everywhere and not in the mountains. Following the speedlimit at 50 mph on ice covered roads are no problem as long as you have proper winter tires. (not MTR's and AT's!!) Smile Studded tires are recomended for everyone driving SUV's.

Yeah, the D3 is actually pretty nice powersliding with on snow, the tail gets out nice, not much understeer.
Post #56926023rd Dec 2009 12:41 am
highlandcow

Thanks/takk

I agree with DG that the limited amount of true winter weather in the UK doesn't make it worthwhile buying a set of winter tyres; and I take on what JMC and D3Norway say about the Pirelli Scorpions vs the MTRs.

Therefore, with the freezing conditions I'll stick with the Scorpions, albeit on 20" wheels, but might put on the 19" wheels with the MTRs if I go to the SLROC's Boxing Day Bash which is offroad and nearby.

Post #56926323rd Dec 2009 12:53 am
Ken

ATR's the way forward Thumbs Up

Post #56928723rd Dec 2009 7:26 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I always like talking to the Scandinavians about tyres, they do have the experiance in the snow, slush and ice and most of them depend on chosing the right tyre for most conditions. Thumbs Up

Most of us are amateurs in these snow and ice conditions with the odd exceptions further up north where they will have gained quite a bit of experiance. Thumbs Up

"Some" of the total rubbish talked by people who think they are experts makes my eyes and ears bleed. Big Cry

Answer is take it easy out there on whatever tyres you are on, some of you will not be able to chop and change your tyres like some change there underpants, and some just could not drive a greasy stick up a dogs backside. Rolling with laughter

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Andy & the boys at AJS. Thumbs Up

Post #56928923rd Dec 2009 7:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

AJS4X4 wrote:
and some just could not drive a greasy stick up a dogs backside.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Very true, also a good point made earlier, D3 makes tyres look good,
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #56929223rd Dec 2009 8:02 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

DG wrote:
Waste of time buying specific tyres given that we have a few days worth of snow per year

Know of any snow-specific tyres then DG? The winter tyres I run are designed to be better in the wet, ice and snow - basically a better allround tyre once the temp gets below 7-10°C - so about 4 months of the year. If the drivers of the UK adopted the continental practice of fitting winter tyres, the utter chaos we've seen in recent days would be avoided and we wouldn't need half the gritting equipment we presently pay for with our council tax.

There's a thought - a one-year RFL amnesty and a small reduction in council tax to allow people to put money towards a set of winter wheels/tyres, then 12 months later make it a legal requirement to have them fitted November-February. Thumbs Up Any argument that the RFL only covers part of the cost is countered by the fact that they shouldn't have bought a Prius in the first place Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #56929823rd Dec 2009 8:53 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Once again Al you miss my point Rolling Eyes I am sure that there are some fantastic winter tyres out there that will perform so well that it would make me want to rub my genital area...I just don't believe that we have sufficiently frequent conditions to warrant them.

The truth is that when the white stuff does make an appearance most don't know how to drive in it ....or when to just stay the feck off the road because it ain't worth it. This is very apparent in the South east where most people appear to have undergone a frontal lobotomy.

Honing winter driving skills would be far better than putting on your new winter tyres along with your invincible "superdriver" t-shirt and underpants ..and trying to save the world Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #56930223rd Dec 2009 9:08 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

DG wrote:
Once again Al you miss my point Rolling Eyes I am sure that there are some fantastic winter tyres out there that will perform so well that it would make me want to rub my genital area...I just don't believe that we have sufficiently frequent conditions to warrant them.

Ah, belief. It's what fuels the global warming debate, so why not bring it in to a discussion on tyres. As for missing your point, I got it, I just don't (ahem) believe it's a particularly well thought out point.

Wink

So 4 months of the year where temperatures are regulalry below 7-10°C not enough to warrant them? Some of the wettest conditions in Europe not sufficient? The grip they offer in the cold and wet is massively better than the summer tyres we are obsessed with buying over here. I can't get my head around this resistance to fitting a tyre that is proven to work better in UK winter conditions. Are they not chunky and sexy enough? Is the D3 too manly for them?

Enquiringly yours,

Puzzled of Dorset.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #56930623rd Dec 2009 9:14 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Thud

When will you understand that my issue isn't with the tyre's ...they are incidental to driving skills which I believe people would be better placed concentrating on.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #56931323rd Dec 2009 9:31 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Cos driver training - no, any kind of training in this country is always taken seriously Whistle

We've all seen people who have a driving licence and asked ourselves "how the hell?". Would it be any better if they got cold weather training? All the training in the world won't create friction - but a winter tyre will. Hell, why not go for both options Mr. Green
Post #56932923rd Dec 2009 9:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >