Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yep ditto, ATR's have been fab Thumbs Up
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #56877322nd Dec 2009 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow are excellent on very cold, icey or snow covered roads. Definitely the way to go if money is not a problem.

The standard Pirelli Scorpion are surprisingly effective when there is still a good depth in the tread.

MTR's will do well in thick, wet snow - but aren't designed for very cold or icey surfaces.

As everything to do with snow - there is so many types of snow (moisture content, depth, layers, base etc etc) that a tyre that works great on one type of snow might struggle on another type).

The thing that has really impressed me this last few days is how very effective HDC is on steep icey or snowy slopes.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #56878022nd Dec 2009 9:05 am
highlandcow

Smarticus: thanks for that, although it's complicated things for me.

I have a choice between pootering around on snowy roads in the Scottish highlands on 20" wheels with Scorpions or 19" wheels with MTRs.

How do I start a poll? Wink

Post #56878722nd Dec 2009 9:29 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

highlandcow wrote:
How do I start a poll? Wink

Edit your first post in this thread

Post #56878922nd Dec 2009 9:37 am
JMC

Scotland 

Despite their 'rugged' appearance, MTRs are NOT the tyre of choice for snow. Shocked

The MTR is specifically a MUD tyre - why would anyone expect it to work better than a tyre designed specifically as MUD & SNOW. Confused

Scorpion M+S makes much more sense - even if it doesn't 'look' like it will do the job. Thumbs Up

The science behind this was explained to me once by a man in the know about tyres (Andy @ AJS) but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was....... Embarassed

Also, you're better with the 19" option because you want as much sidewall as possible in the snow...... it will protect the wheel more when you slide into a kerb Laughing
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #56879322nd Dec 2009 9:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJF

Ah, the wonders of a Web search engine. Wink

http://www.snowtire.info/

Post #56879922nd Dec 2009 10:02 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Waste of time buying specific tyres given that we have a few days worth of snow per year....better off focussing your efforts on snow and ice driving skills regardless what tyres you have on TBH
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #56880222nd Dec 2009 10:03 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Agree with the "driving skills" bit but the right tyres do make a big difference, having used the Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme I can only give them a big Thumbs Up

Andy.

Post #56881722nd Dec 2009 10:29 am
Gazavich

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Agree with DG "Drive like a tit, end up in the sh Censored it" Laughing
 HSE TDV6 Silver : "Avin it large"

www.lift-trucksolutions.co.uk 

Post #56881822nd Dec 2009 10:33 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Quote from the snow tyre website :

"Deep, heavy snow is much like mud. It requires a tire with large tread blocks and good size openings. The tire must be able to dig in yet not get clogged at low speeds. If the tire can not expel the snow, it will start making itself into a snow ball".

I fit winter tyres between November and March on my RRS and feel a great deal happier than using the wretched Continentals all year. But on the Disco - the standard Pirelli's are good in snow so I haven't invested in snow tyres there. I know we only have really bad weather for few days a year (although they seem to be getting more frequent) - but you can have a bad accident in minutes. Winter tyres are a no brainer for me as they are fine when you dont need them (warm, dry, tarmac) but excellent when you do need them. They are not nearly as big a compromise as using MTR's on tarmac (where stopping distance is compromised).
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #56882222nd Dec 2009 10:40 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Been driving around home on both MTRs (my D3) or Conti road tyres (Mrs DSL's), no issues on either in mix of fresh snow (6" or so), compacted snow and cleared/icey/slushy roads, now frozen solid at -8c to -10c No issues around here with either, when out playing have been using my car with MTRs and they have been excellent, even in foot deep drifted snow where no-one had driven. Whilst MTRs may not be ideal, they are (IMHO) better on than a set of road tyres and I have them on anyway.

PS Haven't found any sheet ice here as roads too well cleared & gritted, even minor roads are clear Tarmac!

Post #56889822nd Dec 2009 12:46 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I would imagine that any AT/MT has to be better on mixed snow conditions than a road tyre, it will be the same as off roading, once the treads are clogged with mud/snow the tyres become pretty useless as they have no ability to bite, the deeper grooves and self cleaning properties of an off-road tyre will always be better overall IMO.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #56890522nd Dec 2009 12:59 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Took the car out for a wee spin to de-ice it. Got back to find a transit van blocking the side road that our house is on, 2 blokes shovelling the road clear of ice & snow for the hotel next door. Asked chief shoveller if that was his van, it was said he to which I said "you're gonna have to move it.". He asked "why?" to which I replied "cause I live in that house!" pointing. The van was OK to get round but there was a parked car at the side so would have been a squeeze at best. He then tried to get the van into the hotel driveway with lots of spinning wheels, ended up back far enough so that I could drive round him and into my drive to park up.

Not a suprise, I hear you say, in such a capable veeeeehickle, except I was in the Jazz!!! Waved and shouted "cheers" at them, their faces were a picture!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #56893622nd Dec 2009 1:57 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Derek,,,, you tease Laughing

Put my Cooper STTs on the weekend as the STs were running out a bit (only 8mm left Rolling Eyes )

I tried to get a power slide around the supermarket carpark but the car had way too much grip Big Cry

Wink Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #56895822nd Dec 2009 2:40 pm
DSL

Ukraine