Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Snow on roads: MTRs or Scorpions?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I seem to remember my old man got anywhere he wanted in winter, used to dig out and dust of the old town and countrys around november, put a shovel, gloves wellies etc in the car and just generally be prepared to drive on snow, if we got stuck you dug and salted your way out and helped others. I used to have a mini when I first passed my test and got everywhere in snow until it ran aground Rolling with laughter . So maybe it's a mix of modern cars and people with little or no experience of snow. Some people who have been driving for ten years will never have seen snow. Want to get about in a modern car with wide low profiles on, then you'll need to change tyres, if you don't want to do that then take the bus / train or stay at home and watch a DVD Thumbs Up
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #56933023rd Dec 2009 9:57 am
Ken

Still waiting for these Bad weather contions you are all talking about

Christ its a small bit of ice anybody would think that the ice caps are melting

Look when it gets that cold you wont be driving any how caus our derv will gel up Rolling with laughter

As for Tyres make your own mind up the debates are fast and furious this time of year on all the 4x4 forums no one will ever agree on whats best Me I know what I run on I know what our LR / RR fleet runs on and its NOT MTR's

If your going to be nice to the Green Pi$$ knob in the eurobox remember your 4.7t shackle wont fit their recv eye Thumbs Up

Post #56933223rd Dec 2009 10:00 am
D3Norway

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I totally understand that your winter is much warmer than what we have up here, allthough I was in Woking last week again and it was pretty cold.. Not that fun beeing stuck at Standsted in 5 hours because of 2 inches of snow.. Saw the caos UK had on the M4 I think it was and it puts a smile on my face, I mean with some training and propper snow tires you'd all be fine and able to thunder down the M4 in 70 mph in the snow... Also those in their Priuses...no prob!

Anyway, one could discuss this case till everyone turn blue in their faces and still have different opinions! Very Happy
What I'm trying to say is MTR's and AT's are really no good on ice in 50mph in a turn! you'd be "off-road" You need propper Nokians, Contis, michelins, prefferably studded on a SUV. Just tying to put things in a perspective Smile

For many of us driving 10-15K Miles during the winter on ice, propper tires is a cheap insurance.

Happy christmas and a happy new LR year! Drive safe in the Holidays! Weather your on MTR's or Nokian Hakka's! 8)
 christian@betekconsult.com  
Post #56936323rd Dec 2009 11:10 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

whilst i totally agree with what you're saying d3norway, unfortunately due to our more often than not "wet" climate this is a nation that doesn't generally use winter tyres, let alone studs,

Our roads are bad enough as it is, without throwing winter stud use into the mix, the country would properly fall apart as the roads wouldn't last one winter.. Very Happy

i am a fan of winter tyres, as are many one here, but we don't get the sustained low temperatures in the south of the country to make them compulsory, the government probably dont even know they exist..

getting snow in london would be like you getting daylight in northern norway on christmas day, you'd drive into eachother as it was too bright.,.... Wink
 one wife.......livid  
Post #56937623rd Dec 2009 11:24 am
SN

DG wrote:
This is very apparent in the South east where most people appear to have undergone a frontal lobotomy.
My family and those I know excepted ... such a truism Rich Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Well its either that or there resident on a Temporary Visa/Fake Passport/Eastern European Passport/No Passport At All (delete as appropriate>
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #56948923rd Dec 2009 2:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have to agree with Willy on this one. Started working life in the wilder areas of Perthshire with a small 1.1 Ford with no traction control or anything elses for that matter and plenty of snow. Always carried shovel in winter and never got stuck, well the occasional drift that you had to dig out but that was life then. At the first sign of snow if was helpful to find a quite flat area and 'practise' winter driving skills and then drive in a manner appropriate for the road conditions.

These days that seems to mean crawling at 10mph nose to tail and not leaving room for the driver in front to gain momentum to get up inclines etc.

Apart from 4x4's many modern cars have ESP or DSC and that helps in snow provided you do everything else right. ABS can be a pain but you just have to 'test' the road conditions and leave more space so you can stop in time.

OK rant over, I'll go get my coat now Laughing
 Club RLD spare wheel protection
Club RLD skid plate
Club its all black
Club D3 - it's gone
Club D4 - just arrived and still all black 

Post #56961623rd Dec 2009 7:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >