Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspected suspension issue/longitudinal acceleration sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 12 <123 ... 89 101112>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Before I forget , I believe there’s been talk about an earth wire that can touch the front diff, have u got round to removing the engine sump cover and checking the wire there as I know u said about going up hill

Could the wire move , touch the diff going up hill and then when on the flat moves away

Just a thought

Post #22144491st Mar 2021 11:20 am
TyphoonDisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Gary,

Can you please remind me of where this earth wire is located behind the sump cover?

Would a knackered alternator still cause issues with the ignition on but engine off? I read somewhere that the voltage regulator lives in the alternator so this kind of makes sense.

Thank you.

Post #22145131st Mar 2021 5:45 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's not an earth wire it's the main battery cable that goes from the battery to the starter then on to the alternator and I believe you checked that at the start.
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #22145161st Mar 2021 5:52 pm
TyphoonDisco

Oh ok, that one certainly seemed secure.

Any answer on the effect of a dodgy alternator on the electrical system with just ignition on?

Post #22145191st Mar 2021 6:03 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I can't recall ever having come across that, but what are the signals coming from the contacts when you pull that relay?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22145371st Mar 2021 7:10 pm
TyphoonDisco

I haven't checked the battery contacts with RELAY 4 pulled. What I do know is that the fault still occurs with RELAY 4 pulled and also the associated heated windscreen wash and heated mirror fuses both pulled.

I'm just wondering what is so special about the circuit which includes RELAY 4 which is causing the constant clicking?

I'm away from home for the week so will try the battery contact readings with RELAY 4 pulled when I get home.

I think after that point I will need to hand it over to an auto electrician. I'm tearing my hair out with this car!!!

Post #22145561st Mar 2021 7:58 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

A week away from it can very often be a good thing as it allows you to come back at the problem with a fresh pair of eyes and perspective.

I suspect the relay issue may not even be linked to your problem, especially as the fault is still there when the circuits are dead. Personally, I'd give that relay a wide berth for a while as it may be a "Red Herring" and try to focus on the specific COMS dtc's.

Start with what you know to be true, or a specific component like a wheel speed sensor, or the suspension compressor and work through it's operational values. Then move on to the next component on the list until you find an anomaly.

Enjoy you're week away. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22145671st Mar 2021 8:24 pm
TyphoonDisco

The problem is I’m not entirely sure what I’m looking for. All I get are a bunch of U0122 codes as multiple systems on the BUS get tripped by something. I just don’t know what’s causing the trip.

I’m not sure what readings I’m expecting to see on the live values so it’s just chasing my tail.

It’s very frustrating because there doesn’t seem to be a single actual fault code to even try and pin something down.

Whoever designed the LR electrical system needs to have a stern word with themselves!

I think what would be helpful is a good steer towards someone who could have a look at the car who knows more than I do. I am willing to travel as far as required to get it to the right person.

Any Disco 3 gurus who would be willing to take a look??

Post #22146051st Mar 2021 10:36 pm
gstuart

aja4x4 wrote:
It's not an earth wire it's the main battery cable that goes from the battery to the starter then on to the alternator and I believe you checked that at the start.

Hi

Many thks for clearing that up as I must of misread a post a little while ago Thumbs Up

Post #22146141st Mar 2021 10:53 pm
gstuart

TyphoonDisco wrote:
Hi Gary,

Can you please remind me of where this earth wire is located behind the sump cover?

Would a knackered alternator still cause issues with the ignition on but engine off? I read somewhere that the voltage regulator lives in the alternator so this kind of makes sense.

Thank you.

Hi

Apologises I thought it was an earth , see @AJA kindly verified it was actually a live cable

Plus 1 ref what @prof g has said, a week away will let u have a breather from it

Ref ur alternator , indeed get that checked so at least u can get verification that’s it’s 100% at fault or not

Have a good week Thumbs Up

Post #22146171st Mar 2021 11:01 pm
aechambira

Kenya 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

TyphoonDisco wrote:
Sorry, I meant RELAY 4! That's the one that clicks every 15-16 seconds.

I should have added. The slight change in engine note with the variation in vAC/vDC when viewed from inside the car also shows a temporary slight dimming of the nav screen and the headlights. Very very slight but I can tell there's a change in brightness as if the systems aren't getting what they need in terms of power.

What would be causing RELAY 4 to continually click? Would this be an over-voltage situation or an under-voltage situation?

Good morning.

I had this error.
Dimming of headlights...nav screen...change in engine note and changing MM values taken at battery terminals.
Changed alternator. Didn't solve.
Turned out to be alternator wires not connected correctly.

Thanks.
Ant.

Post #22146332nd Mar 2021 5:22 am
TyphoonDisco

Thanks Ant,

Here comes the inevitable question...what was wrong and what should I be looking for?

It makes sense that it could be a dodgy connection from the alternator because there’s a relationship with temperature and that area is clearly going to get warm when the engine has been running. Also, as Gary said, it would make sense that a loose wire could cause my issues when going up a hill or levelling off at the top of a hill when the angle of the car changes.

Post #22147512nd Mar 2021 4:23 pm
aechambira

Kenya 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Crying or Very sad Don't know what the mechanic did. He was under car, connecting, disconnecting, reconnecting. I was at battery observing MM values...i.e. if constant or changing.
Will get under car, take alternator wiring/connections photos and send to you. Then you can compare with whats at your end.

Post #22148443rd Mar 2021 5:20 am
gstuart

TyphoonDisco wrote:
Thanks Ant,

Here comes the inevitable question...what was wrong and what should I be looking for?

It makes sense that it could be a dodgy connection from the alternator because there’s a relationship with temperature and that area is clearly going to get warm when the engine has been running. Also, as Gary said, it would make sense that a loose wire could cause my issues when going up a hill or levelling off at the top of a hill when the angle of the car changes.

Hiya

Can’t get this out my head, bugging me , yeh i know I need to get out more, lol

Out of curiosity have u got a test light plse , I got one a while back and can be very useful , has a display incorporated

Indeed ref the alternator connections , also wondering about one of those cig lighter plug in volt meters off eBay , so whilst ur driving and have someone with u so u don’t get distracted to monitor it to see if it changes , know there not 100% and a MM is better but at least can see whilst driving

Plus thinking it may also help u getting some MM extension leads , can then test from the battery right over to the earth point that’s behind the drivers side wheel arch liner

Of course don’t wish to ever teach u how to suck eggs but if u wish to check the wires on ur alternator, raise ur suspension to off road height for better access , engine off , key out , then axle stands and never ever get under it without them , apologises if it sounds like I’m nagging

Hope ur having a nice break

Ps, some of the bits I got which were invaluable when I was looking for electrical issues I had when I first bought mine , Including some pliers for removing fixings , an OBD2 breaker box which made life easier when testing, plus still had my meters from when I was working as a gas engineer on boilers / electrical faults etc

Was just thinking what could be useful to u , ie test light , plug in cig lighter volt meter , longer MM leads

Post #22148653rd Mar 2021 9:41 am
gstuart

aechambira wrote:
TyphoonDisco wrote:
Sorry, I meant RELAY 4! That's the one that clicks every 15-16 seconds.

I should have added. The slight change in engine note with the variation in vAC/vDC when viewed from inside the car also shows a temporary slight dimming of the nav screen and the headlights. Very very slight but I can tell there's a change in brightness as if the systems aren't getting what they need in terms of power.

What would be causing RELAY 4 to continually click? Would this be an over-voltage situation or an under-voltage situation?

Good morning.

I had this error.
Dimming of headlights...nav screen...change in engine note and changing MM values taken at battery terminals.
Changed alternator. Didn't solve.
Turned out to be alternator wires not connected correctly.

Thanks.
Ant.

Hi ant

Plus 1, was also curious ref connections to or on the alternator itself , would be a good result if that’s all it is Thumbs Up

Post #22148703rd Mar 2021 9:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 12 <123 ... 89 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >