Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
BN

England 
Suspension

Now we no why the air suspension has a problem, it was designed in Luton.

New materials and manufacturing processes meet challenging targets

LUTON, United Kingdom, Sept. 23 -- Innovative air suspension technology is helping Land Rover combine the legendary off-road ability of its vehicles with exceptional refinement and driving dynamics. A key part in the development of the airspring modules was played by Delphi Corp , which manufactures the units at its facility here. The new technology will be available on the Discovery 3 (called LR3 in North America), launched at the Mondial de l'Automobile show in Paris today.

"The Discovery has always had an outstanding reputation for off-road ability, which had to be maintained with the new vehicle," said Guy Hachey, Delphi vice president and president, Delphi Energy & Chassis. "The challenge was to combine this with levels of suspension refinement that would normally be expected in conventional luxury vehicles."

Land Rover also set tough targets for packaging, durability and the air spring's ability to maintain vehicle trim height, even when left fully laden for long periods with the engine off. The packaging requirement dictated the use of small volume air springs, which made the refinement target more challenging because the smaller air volume drives very high internal operating pressures, introducing the possibility of suspension harshness.

The vehicle's ability to travel quickly on poor surfaces presented further challenges because air springs have a natural tendency to become stiffer under low amplitude / high frequency road inputs, again potentially leading to suspension harshness.

The technology chosen uses front and rear airspring modules with integral twin-tube gas dampers, controlling the vehicle's four-wheel independent suspension. Delphi's engineers developed a new generation of compact, very high-pressure airspring units and new manufacturing and testing techniques to provide consistently high quality.

The new airspring modules allow Delphi to meet the packaging targets and, compared with conventional coil springs, weigh about 7 kg less. The units are designed to withstand the most demanding burst pressure and temperature range requirements set by any vehicle manufacturer.

The new design of airsleeve is constructed of soft, thin rubber reinforced with nylon chords: a construction chosen to minimize suspension harshness. An aluminum restraining cylinder is placed around the airsleeve to give it rigidity, increase durability and allow it to resist very high pressures. Protection from mud and stones is provided by a rubber gaiter.

During the design processes, Delphi engineers paid particular attention to component sharing between front and rear units and to design-for-manufacture, allowing faster development and reducing both development and manufacturing costs. Final calibrations were supported by Delphi's mobile 'ride laboratory,' which allows the specification of components such as dampers, air springs, spring aids, and top-mounts to be quickly changed and evaluated on the vehicle.

Several new manufacturing and quality control processes were developed to provide that the units will withstand the very high pressures required. More than 35 in-line tests confirm critical stages of assembly, including two high- resolution laser gauges accurate to just 0.001mm. At the end of the production line, a custom helium leak test system is used to verify the performance of every unit before delivery to Land Rover's plant in Solihull, United Kingdom.

As well as enabling an outstanding combination of on- and off-road ability, the air suspension system provides automatic self-leveling, regardless of the mix of passengers, cargo or trailering requirements, the ability to change the ride height for increased ground clearance or to improve the approach and departure angles for off-road driving, and the ability to lower the vehicle to ease loading or for trailer attachment.

Other Delphi technology on the Discovery 3 (LR3) includes Delphi's Smart Cruise Control system to increase comfort on long journeys, an advanced airbag system, a high-durability lead / calcium battery and a carbon canister for the emissions control system.

I also hear they are closing most of their plants in Luton, Nuneaton and somewhere near Bristol I think.

Post #862926th Jul 2005 9:48 pm
MVS

Is it these guys we have to thank for the compressors failing?

Or are they sourced seperately, and is that the problem?

Mine now has the new one fitted even if I can't drive it yet as they have my car interior heavily striped, for this and the PDC module, which they haven't got yet.

Mike

Post #893929th Jul 2005 7:59 pm
BN

England 

Yes and the bad news is that my car has the Delphi gear in it Crying or Very sad

Post #894529th Jul 2005 8:30 pm
MVS

Do you think that it's getting to the stage where LR are going to have to admit publicly that there's a problem with the suspension, and recall the relavant vehicles to replace compressors, and/or sensors.

Or would Ford corp crap themselves at the thought?

It seems to me fairly likey that one of our American colleagues may take recourse to the law, judging by the posts on here, and the fact there are probably a good few customers having probs that are not aware of this forum.

Can u imagine the media flack LR/Ford would get if that happened.

Post #895530th Jul 2005 8:41 am
BN

England 

My view is that they will only replace if the system faults out. A recall is usually when something serious happens sadly.

Post #897330th Jul 2005 4:00 pm
D barnes

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
SUSPENSION FAILURE

Sad Crying or Very sad Hi guys i am in France around le mans, with caravan and a failed suspension the D3 has been taken away to Tours Land rover, but we have to leave to go to the Vandee LR have NO vehicles with tow bars so cannot get there !!!!!!! unless we can tie the van to the back of the Zafira Hire car??? This Issue has to be sorted ASAP it is a Safety Issue when susspension on the car goes to access height @ 80mph
 DB
TDV6 XS SANTORINI
Sterling Elite Searcher
FIAT 500S
Freelander2 HSE Lux 

Post #91531st Aug 2005 11:28 am
BN

England 

The suspension situation is now very serious in my eyes and maybe it is something we should address more than the pre-heater etc, which is not life threatening.

My view is that the forum must have a legal beagle somewhere lurking in the background, who could formulate a letter from all of us expressing our concern.

What about it, hidden legal person, we have 250 people world wide, it must make LR sit up before someone is hurt.

Post #91591st Aug 2005 1:19 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

It is serious if it happens to you, that's for sure.

The question is, how many vehicles has it affected? Have any incidents resulted in injury or accident? If the answer to the second question is yes, and the suspension can be proven to be the cause, then you are into a whole different ball game.

Absent that, and despite a few nasty moments for owners, you swill about in the world of consumer law. Six months from delivery is a critical milestone: prior to this, the vehicle can be returned to the dealer, who must be able to effect a repair (and not just merely reset the computer and say it is all okay) or you have the right to demand a replacement. The logic behind this being that the six months period is that in which there is no dispute about whether the fault existed at delivery or not; after six months has elapsed, you have to rely on the warranty.

None of the about addresses the point about raising the issue with Land Rover specifically, though absent accident or injury, or God forbid, death, you aren't going to make a great deal of "global" headway.

Would be interesting to know how many of the registered users of the Forum, who also own/drive a D3, have experienced any of the well discussed faults. Martin - how about a poll to determine if you've experienced a fault to: suspension, brakes, gearbox, other electrical?

Post #91681st Aug 2005 2:11 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Excellent idea, Winger, how about it Martin Question
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #91701st Aug 2005 2:15 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

I suspect that the answers will be very interesting. Vehicle age/VIN number will be equally interesting.

Post #91731st Aug 2005 2:19 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Rather than a forum-based poll/vote, how about a web-based survey?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #91801st Aug 2005 2:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

That would be even better, as being too generic isn't going to show a lot. It would be good if people have had a problem if they could describe it in more detail.

Post #91811st Aug 2005 2:40 pm
BN

England 

This is one item, we know has a defect ask any dealer. I think most dealers have at least 1 or 2 suspension problems on the go, including the USA and America dealers. We also know that the Delphi system is the one that is being changed for the Caterpillar system. If LR have gone that far to change manufacturer, which is indisputable, surely there must be something amiss.

Normally I like to be reserved in challenge and confrontation, but when lives can be dependant on a unit that has proven to be defective, a recall at the very least should be pushed for.

I have placed my order on Saturday for a new compressor (and mine is OK at the moment), just in case and the dealer didn't bat an eyelid.

Post #91821st Aug 2005 2:41 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't believe (as I've said before) that Caterpillar are manufacturing the new compressor, they don't OEM to the automotive industry to my knowledge.

What they DO do is they 'own' LR Genuine Parts, so they would be supplying the new parts to the dealer network, possibly hence the confusion.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #91911st Aug 2005 2:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Martin wrote:
I don't believe (as I've said before) that Caterpillar are manufacturing the new compressor, they don't OEM to the automotive industry to my knowledge.

What they DO do is they 'own' LR Genuine Parts, so they would be supplying the new parts to the dealer network, possibly hence the confusion.

But who actually now makes the new compressor, that would be interesting?

Post #91941st Aug 2005 2:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >