Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

New spy shots of the D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 15 <123 45 ... 131415>
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

One thing's for certain, having read the latest details about the new Discovery, the fuel economy is obviously going to be vastly improved which is great. It's beginning to grow on me, I must admit, to the point where I will definitely test one as soon as possible, and the trip to Paris is definitely on the cards now!
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #169207714th Aug 2016 4:04 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

I have already booked my flights and hotel!! Thumbs Up

Post #169209714th Aug 2016 4:37 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

Oh dear. It doesn't look very big there.
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #169210814th Aug 2016 5:00 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I will probably end up liking the DS+, Discovery 5 or whatever it ends up being called eventually, as I hated the XJ when that changed but have now loved it for many years, I didn't like the Discovery 3 when launched either.

But right now following the departure of the Defender, the Discovery 4 is the only Land Rover I would actually buy, the DS looks like a generic blob and is cheap looking inside, the RRS is possibly the best of a bad bunch and looking at a proper RR the other day even that seems to have gone astray somehow (perhaps not helped by it being white with what I assume was a black pack).

I know I am old fashioned and don't like change for the sake of it, but I do recognise it is needed, but even so, it seems a step too far with the DS+. I was thinking this last night whilst perched on the lower tailgate, watching an amazing sunset whilst waiting for a kettle to boil thinking how amazing the D4 is and how it is probably the best car, with the largest capacity engine, I will probably ever own and I couldn't help but feel incredibly sad about that.

The Autocar article mentions how Gerry McGovern said the new one needs to be more "premium", that just means it will cost more. Does anyone genuinely look at their D4 and think I need more luxury? I know you can say it has first world issues like slow sat nav etc, but it is hardly like being in a Dacia.

McGovern also mentions the need to not upset traditionalists, well this one is very upset , but as I can't afford any of them new I guess Land Rover need not worry about my loss of custom (their dealer probably did that single handedly anyway), but nonetheless I can't help but feel something will shortly be lost when the D4 finally goes out of production.

Apologies that was all a bit depressing, but it is Monday tomorrow and back to work!
 Andy

Post #169210914th Aug 2016 5:08 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ok it looks pretty similar to the D4 size wise its obviously lowered in the pic, parked more forward and the sloping roof and decals can play tricks with it. Someone needs to stalk this property and wait for him to come out and open the boot! or do you think they are all disabled to prevent any premature reveal of the tailgate Laughing
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #169211414th Aug 2016 5:23 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Always find one of these car thieves that use a key to nick it so see if it's been upgraded or not ?

Post #169211714th Aug 2016 5:29 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

mik wrote:
Not my pic - taken today by someone I know on another forum.

Well tell him to go back and get some more photos or give us the address and we will all be around there!! Rolling with laughter

Post #169212114th Aug 2016 5:44 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

RDR wrote:
Ok it looks pretty similar to the D4 size wise its obviously lowered in the pic, parked more forward and the sloping roof and decals can play tricks with it. Someone needs to stalk this property and wait for him to come out and open the boot! or do you think they are all disabled to prevent any premature reveal of the tailgate Laughing

Presuming it actually does have air suspension ?!
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #169212514th Aug 2016 5:49 pm
RDR

yep i am presuming but given the RRS and FFRR do i cant seem them going back to coils. Plus if its to improve on the D4 off road gadgetry its highly likely the suspension will be adjustable. Unless they pull something brand new out the bag.

It just looks low to me.
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #169212914th Aug 2016 5:55 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I've heard it's not air suspension... it uses canned Peruvian Llama breath.
Apparently it's more 'Premium' and a much smoother ride.
Whistle
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #169213314th Aug 2016 6:07 pm
James W

Saudi Arabia 

I get the points about the range becoming so similar to look at, but as a Land Rover enthusiast I personally don't care; my mum thinks I've got a range rover now, even with my D4, and friends confuse the DS with the RRS - yet I can tell the difference instantly between a 200TDi and 300TDi Disco 1 just via things like the door handles, or the difference between an original Land Rover Series 2 or 3. I still maintain my faith in the design details that will have this new incarnation of our favourite Land Rover model spot on to those who will appreciate them. I can't wait to see it prove itself.

That said, the slightly centre-offset rear number plate is challenging my OCD, I need to come to terms with it Very Happy

Edit: PS - Forgot to say - the roofline drops in a D4 too, but internally. The floor comes up higher at the back towards the door, unlike my D2 which was perfectly flat. I think this should be considered in concerns that the rear boot space will lose its 'squared off' capacity - if you don't believe me, put something big and square in the boot and look through the rearmost side window
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #169213414th Aug 2016 6:09 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Fitzy73 wrote:
McGovern also mentions the need to not upset traditionalists,

What that means is they need to be seen not to upset traditionalists and be polite to them while doing as little as possible to actually provide them with a car. Rolling Eyes

Of course, the very use of the word traditionalist is just a tool to write off people for whom the new vehicle may not be suitable despite the fact tradition doesn't come into it. Honestly, there are some people who would sing the praises of the Ford Transit morphing into bubble car as "progress", and anyone who disagrees is a backward-looking stick-in-the-mud...
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #169213614th Aug 2016 6:17 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I think that sums it up very nicely Thumbs Up
 Andy

Post #169214514th Aug 2016 6:38 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Let's face it, every version of the Discovery to date has featured something radically new in terms of development, and that will be no different with the new version. And it will be those new bits of tech that will be the main selling point to a lot of customers.

On the other hand we are looking at 50mpg+......

I am concerned about the reduced carrying capacity, but I bet they've come up with something to combat that, knowing Land Rover! Hope they continue to provide a 5 seat Commercial over here if the price is going to be that expensive as quoted.....
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #169215014th Aug 2016 6:49 pm
RDR

i think there are far fewer "traditionalists" than potential buyers. Landrover need to make sure the D5 sells and sells very well so it needs to be mass marketable. The D4 is a superb car the best ever in my opinion but I'm ready for some new technology and better engines. Landrover need to make sure its economy and safety are comparable to the competition too.

Its got to change, it would be great if they could design a car for us but we are the few i think, I'm on the fence with the D5 i like what i have seen so far but it must meet my practical needs otherwise i will end up with a T6 or something.

I just remember all the backlash and hate towards the D3 from the D2 community.
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #169215414th Aug 2016 6:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 15 <123 45 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >