Sat in a Disco 5 today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 44 of 47 <123 ... 4344 454647>
Swiss4x4

simonej wrote:
Red Merle wrote:
simonej wrote:

However, there were a few things that instantly put me off:

The rear seats are a disgrace and I'd be embarrassed to ask adults to sit in the back - truly dreadful...

Would you car to elaborate?

Yes, of course. It's been mentioned on here by many but before I saw them I honestly thought it couldn't be that bad! Basically I have three gripes:

The main one is the seat base is too low such that there is absolutely zero thigh support. With my feet flat on the floor I'd estimate there was about 4" between the back of my knee and the seat. Next is that the area under the front seat where you put your feet is also quite narrow and space is limited. Last is that the rear of the seat is too firm and flat. You don't 'sink' into the seat back like you should, you basically rest your back on what feels like a flat board.

I spend a lot of time in the back of taxis in cars of all makes and models and I genuinely can't think of one where I've instantly felt so uncomfortable. They are utterly dreadful.

Yup, that was my experience as well. I started a thread on just that very subject.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic157038.html

R.

Post #17874535th Mar 2017 7:48 pm
J77

Scotland 

100,000 miles in one car. How many in the D5?
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green 

Last edited by J77 on 5th Mar 2017 7:57 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #17874555th Mar 2017 7:48 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

6 posts Very Happy

Wonder who ? Rolling with laughter
 Peter  
Post #17874615th Mar 2017 7:51 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

J77 wrote:
100,000 miles in one car. How many in the D5?

Its probably significantly more than 100,000 but who's counting? However, after the amount of time they have spent in the car they have a pretty shrewd idea what is comfortable and what isn't. How many miles have you spent in the back of a D3/4 and a D5? Not many if any so I doubt you are qualified to comment.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #17874675th Mar 2017 7:56 pm
J77

Scotland 

Or they've just got used to it.
Post #17874755th Mar 2017 8:01 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

Were those 100,000 miles done as "grown ups" or some were done sitting on a baby seat? Wink

Post #17874805th Mar 2017 8:03 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

J77 wrote:
Or they've just got used to it.

You're right, they've got used to comfort and space and see no need to compromise.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #17874835th Mar 2017 8:07 pm
J77

Scotland 

I should point out I never disagreed with the post, if you check my test drive report I commented on the rear seats, I personally don't think they are as bad as people make out.
Post #17875045th Mar 2017 8:19 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

JMack wrote:
ruggedpeak wrote:
Picked up the other half's brand new Kadjar today, fantastic car and very comfortable. Popped into local LR dealer on way back as we might get a bit more interest from salespeople turning up in a 17 plate car than my old D3.

Showed her and one of our teenagers around D5 to get their unbiased opinions. She thinks its a barge and ugly.

Someone with one of these has a bit of a cheek claiming another car is ugly.

Click image to enlarge

Whistle

I really like them Shocked And I like the D5. Just as well we've all got different tastes to keep the whole car industry afloat Laughing
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #17877966th Mar 2017 12:07 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

RE: Kadjar

Is this an actual Off road Discovery forum?
 Peter  
Post #17878046th Mar 2017 12:36 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Today I've seen a few in live! And it's very good as well as there is always a car when it is new .... no doubt .... it is always like that and it always has to be ... they smell so good !! I still have the smell in my nose !!

BUT ...... I do not see it innovative .... not like in his day was the Disco 3 .... at all ..... in 10 minutes you see problems ... the worst for me the gigantic tailgate I think it is a mistake, I think you will not be able to open it according to the garages, and it will be better to ask for it with the electric option because it is brutal ....
... an anecdote .... the new as they say,?all new Discovery, I think I should not have recycled the circular shift selector, already old, already seen in 2012 in D4, RR, RRS, Evoque The Jaguars ..... that is not innovative at all ...
..... and above all the base price of € 58,000 without pneumatic, or transfer box and with ordinary halogen headlamps (the xenon disappears and there is only Led in option in SE and HSE) and nothing more ..... I find it unjustified!!! And that if you conform to the 180 hp, I doubt it, if you go to basic finishes in 240 or 258 and you spend widely of 60 or 65,000 € respectively and for basic finishes I repeat .... IMHO The discovery now clearly intends to play in another league ..... this time is not for me .... Twisted Evil

..... this discovery will be better in all lands as LR says .... I do not know and I will not discuss it, besides I saw it stopped ..... but it will not mark an epoch I am afraid and has a terrible Price .... for me not this time !!! I'm sorry!!!
 lost in translation!  
Post #178971510th Mar 2017 7:05 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Well yesterday we went out to mother in laws funeral in the D5.
5 of us in the car 3 in row 2 and 2 of those were 6 foot tall, we did about 50 miles and I asked what they thought of the seats in row 2.
My wife commented that the seat back was too reclined, she had it right back and when I pointed out it could be moved to a more vertical position she was much happier and far more comfortable. My daughter and Mark's girlfriend were more than happy and said they would happily travel a lot further, they liked the more reclined position.
I have not travelled in row 2 yet and will reserve comment myself until then but the others seemed happy enough
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #178982210th Mar 2017 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I finally made it to sit in one today. Ill start off by saying I'm 6ft 7 and i shan't be comparing to any other car.

The driving position is very comfortable. Plenty of headroom and a nice place to be.

The second row seemed as others have said, to have a short seat base. Although briefly seated, i had plenty of head room and leg room (having the drivers seat left in a position i could drive in) and could easily spend a day there as i could move about.

If that was the main seating position id be triggering sciatica off again as no support, reason my company car got swapped out.

One thing i did notice was it wasn't easy to see over the headrest if your rear passengers like to view the road.

It was black in colour and the back didn't actually look too bad, although their was an orange one outside and i wasn't too keen on that colour. (no offence to anyone, i prefer simple colours, both D4's have been white and black.)

Definitely a contender in 2 years time Thumbs Up

Good to see prices are still high on D4's too. Considerable amount more than i paid in September for my new one.
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #179009411th Mar 2017 7:50 pm
Marmoset

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Got to sit in one today. Popped into the showroom after picking up a part for the D3. Not one salesperson came over and asked if I needed any assistance and I spent a good 10-15 minutes around it. Not sure if you have to dress up in a 3 piece suit to get any service there, but if I was in the market for a 65k car I'd be ordering off someone else. I guess they sell themselves nowadays?

As it is I can't afford one yet but I'd definitely have one! Thought it was very nice but I'd have to have a drive in one to come up with a definite conclusion on it. It looks a lot better in the flesh than it does in photos and the overall impression of quality is a lot higher then the D3.
 2011 D4 SDV6 HSE
2008 D3 TDV6 HSE
2005 D3 V8 SE - left in Oz.. 

Post #179017111th Mar 2017 9:56 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

petersw wrote:
RE: Kadjar

Is this an actual Off road Discovery forum?

Given how few people will ever take their D5 off road it hardly matters, it's a lifestyle Waitrose wagon. And for the size and money the Kadjar seems to be far better as an all rounder for going to Waitrose and the tanning salon or whatever most D5 buyers do Laughing

Anyway, have a D3 for off road with proper recovery points and everything Razz

As for the D5 off road, lets remind ourselves how seriously LR take off roading in the D5, using the medium of the accessories catalogue. LR don't do any off road accessories for it, except for a shiny "Undershield" - not clear how substantive it is. Will it take the weight of the D5 when it goes into a hole? No idea, doesn't say. My D3 one does, it has the bend in it to prove it. 8)

"Click and Hook
The Click and Hook is part of the Click and Go range. This universal hook creates extra storage
space for items to be hung, especially useful for handbags or groceries."

Shocked Hardcore off road right there Rolling with laughter

So for all the reported off road toughness of the D5, nothing in the LR marketing or accessories supports it. LR appear to be embarrassed about their off road heritage. All previous Discoveries had a full range of off road kit at launch including winch kits etc. Now nothing.

I'm sure one day we will see some D5's doing proper off roading, but it is very clear LR are keen to avoid this in any way possible and are reluctant to be seen to support it.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #179028612th Mar 2017 12:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 44 of 47 <123 ... 4344 454647>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >