DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Disco 4 looks dated compared to Disco 5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 17 <123 45 ... 151617>
Pelyma

England 

Red Merle wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
Hark the nay sayers.... It looks like an old Saab then in the next breath Ewww it's too modern and looks RRS Yawn FFS make your minds up Rolling Eyes

I'm just giving some gentle stick to those that decide it's not going to cause any offence by coming onto a Disco 3/4 forum and tell us how "dated" (yuck!) our cars happen to be Rolling Eyes

I think you'll find Andrew had a D3 long before most and has done more than nearly everyone on here in them.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #174838213th Dec 2016 7:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

What engine have you ordered Andrew?

Post #174839413th Dec 2016 7:41 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

It's not such a clear decision when you look at other angles or more comparable specs.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly the D5 looks dated... if it's anything like the FFRR it'll be sometime late next year! Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #174856114th Dec 2016 5:27 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Red Merle wrote:
AndrewS wrote:
Hark the nay sayers.... It looks like an old Saab then in the next breath Ewww it's too modern and looks RRS Yawn FFS make your minds up Rolling Eyes

I'm just giving some gentle stick to those that decide it's not going to cause any offence by coming onto a Disco 3/4 forum and tell us how "dated" (yuck!) our cars happen to be Rolling Eyes

I'm quite confident that 99.99% of the people coming onto this D3/D4 forum causing you offence actually like the D3/4 to the point that majority actually went out and bought one.
I think the design of the 3/4 is great but does it now look dated? In my opinion yes. The shape is 12/13 years old. Without a re-design the discovery brand would be unsustainable. It doesn't mean I don't like the 3/4, I love them.But... Times move on and a change is needed in order to survive.

Post #174856514th Dec 2016 5:52 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Red Merle

Red Merle wrote:
I would say that I'm not sure what fashion has to do with Land Rover, but I guess that's no longer the case. Unfortunately.

I guess when you have the discussion threads that talk about looks....the theme of the thread is one of:
Fashion....which is very subjective & taste based.....some do & others don't ....a fad
Style.....which like fashion varies usually with time & maybe what everyone else is doing....which is used to encourage sales where sales may not be needed, the right thing or anything to do with the function of the vehicle.....when style overrides function the plot has been lost.

The use of the word style in context with Landrover has to handle the fact that what were & still are SUV's......sports UTILITY vehicles is trying to balance how it looks & how it works what it does (or should do)
The Disco 3/4 is a brilliant working vehicle...that to me also has a stunning look....purposefull, practical, viable & beyond style or fashion. Timeless
The Disco 5 is about style or some persons perception of how what's gone before is altered (whether improved is debatable) some of this has compromised function.

So the idea that the Disco 3/4 is dated.....yes a ten year old plus design that to me has stood the test of time...other "marques" products don't e.g. Most Mercs, all BMW's five years in the "new" or facelifted product comes along it instantly makes the preceding vehicle "wrong" which is exactly what's intended in selling new when the old is still viable.

Incremental changes like happen with the FFRR.....gradual, evolution, logical are the proof that the step changes in looks not gradual, revolutionary & illogical (especially when they affect function) are another way...whether this is right or wrong will remain to be seen.

Some items never date...FFRR's, real LandRovers, Rolex watches, Burberry raincoats, Discos...just are right....timeless, classic, beyond a fad....quite possibly in the eye of the beholder.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #174860014th Dec 2016 8:42 am
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Agree with you tayaste, well put. I have a D4 & love it but the time to sell it is now, for me appreciation levels is a factor. And I believe the D5 is moving up WITH the market.

This is a D5 section of the D3/4 forum I believe?
 Peter  
Post #174860214th Dec 2016 8:44 am
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

But I would ask IS it moving up?

If you don't like the looks of the D4 as you feel it is now dated then of course there's a shiny new body shape to enjoy. But has everything else moved on enough? Pretty much all the same tech as a MY16 D4 except for folding seats which are now slower due to electric movers and a less comfortable second row which no longer folds flat.

I've not heard enough of the infotainment system but it would appear to me that this is the only significant change and even then Audi and Mercedes systems are apparently already ahead even though this is a new car.

I've really wanted to like it and see it as a major step up but I just can't personally... even the premium engine option is the same one as fitted to the D4 with no hybrid version and my understanding is that an HSE LUXURY new shape doesn't even have the huge weight loss we were hoping for to improve the only other bug bear, economy.

So.... D5 chaps that have looked in to this further and have a much more positive view, please tell me what are the major things the new one does that swung it for you - and not just that it's shiny new and curvy please Smile.

Genuinely interested, not trolling!
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #174861614th Dec 2016 9:06 am
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I'm getting a D5 because (in no particular order) drum roll Laughing :

1, I like the idea of the 2L Engine in terms of economy for a little sacrifice of power. I don't tow a caravan. The biggest thing I tow is a one ton (fully laden) trailer to the tip or to collect the logs that I've cut up in the forest.
2. I'm a poor pensioner and the extra MPG will help me eke out my pension. Laughing
3. The off roading that I do is mainly for collecting my logs with the trailer, parking at Point to Point and for dogging in and shoot maintenance in the summer, so damage to the super rounded body is not a problem.
4. I change my vehicle every 3 years and the release of the D5 almost coincides with this date.
5. If I leave it any longer, the financial bridge to change will be a bridge too far.
6. Eventually the D3/D4will be lifed and no car manufacturer is going to resort that that iconic shape so I'm resigned to the new aerodynamic shape (in all future vehicles so it's eventually Hobson's choice).
7. Internal space physical space has no bearing for me. I don't load pallets or bulky goods so for me it's simply a matter of stowing equipment a little differently. The seating arrangements for Driver and front seat passenger are fine. Guest passengers never have to ride longer than 30 minutes so that is not an issue. They're thankful for the lift generally. Very Happy
8. Finally, despite some of the changes that I don't like (tailgate is one), in overall terms I like the vehicle. It's a personal choice (SWMBO included) and no amount of counter argument on the forum will dissuade me.
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #174862214th Dec 2016 9:36 am
Ken

Ive ordered two one Red one Black Mr. Green

Post #174862614th Dec 2016 9:47 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
AndrewS wrote:

If you are going to quote me can you please make sure you include the snigger Snigger and the thumbsup Thumbs Up at the end Thumbs Up this way everyone can see that I was just having a bit of fun Razz
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #174862714th Dec 2016 9:48 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Ken wrote:

Well I've ordered a Red RRS SVO as well just in case I dont like the D5 when I get to test drive in Feb/March. Ill cancel the car I dont like.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #174862814th Dec 2016 9:51 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Bill Wright wrote:
I'm getting a D5 because (in no particular order) drum roll Laughing :

3. The off roading that I do is mainly for collecting my logs with the trailer, parking at Point to Point and for dogging in and shoot maintenance in the summer, so damage to the super rounded body is not a problem.

Shocked

Last edited by Someone-Gone on 14th Dec 2016 9:53 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #174863114th Dec 2016 9:52 am
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:

Shocked Shocked

new selling point for the electrically reconfigurable seats?

Post #174863214th Dec 2016 9:52 am
Ken

AndrewS wrote:
Ken wrote:

Well I've ordered a Red RRS SVO as well just in case I dont like the D5 when I get to test drive in Feb/March. Ill cancel the car I dont like.

Tart you'll hate the SVR lol man up G63 Whistle

Post #174863814th Dec 2016 9:59 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Thought this was a Disco site, but with all this talk of Dogging and Tarts iam beginning to wonder! Shocked

Post #174864114th Dec 2016 10:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 17 <123 45 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >