Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Used discovery prices
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
marsie

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Used discovery prices

Is it my imagination or are prices of d3s/d4 on the way up. Recently i have been watching the prices and toying with selling my 2013 xs and they seem to be slowly rising. I have seen several late d4s at well over £30k which considering they are now over 5 years old seems a bit high. But even the earlier models seem to be selling well at the mo 8)

One dealer friend of mine told me that covid was shoving prices of large 4x4s up as caravan sales have gone crazy and everyone now wants a uk holiday. He can't get them quick enough

Wont really affect me because if i do sell my D4 it will only be to buy another newer one Mr. Green
 Previous Discos
1989 200tdi 3dr
1994 300tdi ES
1995 3.9 ES (x3)
2000 4.0 adventurer
2001 4.0 ES
2005 D3 HSE (zambesi silver)
2007 D3 SE (Lugano teal)
2011 D4 XS (Baltic Blue)
2008 D3 HSE PREMIUM (buckingham blue)
2009 D4 XS (Nara bronze)
2006 D3 Metropolis (Java Black)
2012my D4 HSE (indus silver)
Current 2013 D4 XS (Firenze red) 

Post #219281910th Dec 2020 12:45 am
Beanwood

United Kingdom 

Seen the same thing with D2's. Sold my manual to buy an auto, and in between selling and buying got priced out of the market. (For what I think they're worth)

That's what convinced me to finally move to a D3 Laughing

Post #219282110th Dec 2020 12:56 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I have (it's a little Covid flat at the moment...) business in the automotive sector.

The second hand car market is red hot for anything decent. Lockdown one saw group buyers cease buying stock as no one could get to showrooms or car lots. Many people saved money and spent time considering their next car purchase. A move from finance and monthly financial overheads into outright purchase and 'assets' has been the result of the end of lockdown one coupled with a shortage in retail supply of second hand stock.

WBAC prices for certain models have risen.

Lockdown two has yet to have an impact that can be seen for any different reason but yes, there has been a rise in second hand values of sought after marques.

It appears that later model D4s are seeing this rise...

For what reasons are probably known to this forum...
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #219282310th Dec 2020 1:20 am
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

2016’s with low mileage can be 80%+ of original purchase price across the pond. They are highly sought after as loyalists don’t want to get into a new shape disco.
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #219282710th Dec 2020 3:53 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Used discovery prices

marsie wrote:
Is it my imagination or are prices of d3s/d4 on the way up. Recently i have been watching the prices and toying with selling my 2013 xs and they seem to be slowly rising. I have seen several late d4s at well over £30k which considering they are now over 5 years old seems a bit high. But even the earlier models seem to be selling well at the mo 8)

One dealer friend of mine told me that covid was shoving prices of large 4x4s up as caravan sales have gone crazy and everyone now wants a uk holiday. He can't get them quick enough

Wont rea,lly affect me because if i do sell my D4 it will only be to buy another newer one Mr. Green

Its seasonal 4x4 prices always go up this time of year and then drop like a stone around late January, i work for a vehicle leasing company and see a lot of data for the current auction prices. 4x4 are currently running about 1.3% above seasonal norm and vans are running just over 7% higher but currently cars are not selling well at all.

Post #219282910th Dec 2020 7:18 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

and yet dealers are still trying to offer stupid rock bottom prices in part exchange.

offering 8k when the forecourts are selling them for 12k+, and they quote the magical CAP guide book which no private owner can get their hands on
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #219283710th Dec 2020 8:44 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Why is that stupid?
They are in business to make profit... pay wages, pay taxes, etc...

8000 - 12000 = 4000, 20% of that “profit” is tax, so 3200 left...
since almost no customer trades in a fully fresh serviced motor, so expect that a taken in motor needs at least 800 on costs, or more... to get is saleable.....so there is only 2400 left....
they have to give some sort of guarantee...... if needed (and we know it is needed sometimes!) really they can not pay wages from nothing...

I see it often, customers expecting businesses to make their profit and paying for their building, pay wages, pay tax, etc. from air, but never on the stuff they sell...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219297910th Dec 2020 6:58 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

I understand the need for profit in order to sustain the business but it is stupid when the pricing tools generally available to the customer (me) all price it at almost 2k higher. It seems to be only LR dealers offering the low part ex prices, for higher priced cars at higher APR than nearly all the competitors, obviously I wont be going to a LR dealer if I were to part ex mine but IMO they are playing on thin ice considering the current situations
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #219309311th Dec 2020 8:52 am
Peakwayfarer

England 

That’s seems to be the LR we are exclusive model, when it traded my D4 Landmark in after being fitted with a new engine courtesy of LR following a crank failure two years ago, trade in value offered by LR were typically 4-5k less than other manufacturers offers for cars in similar price band

Post #219309611th Dec 2020 9:00 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There is a difference in current "selling" pricing and trade in pricing..

if you do not trading in a motor on a new or rather new model , it is easy to get till 2000 quid off.

so that part is "(thin)air"

take that in to account...

the brands who needed selling the most are giving the highest pricing... this is different through the year or years...

other brands, give no or very limited service/guarantee on a LR, LR dealers have to give quite extensive service, because they are LR dealers... people expect more from them...

note: i am not into the car trade, but into motorcycles, works the same way.. when i sell a former used recent/young bike from our major brand/dealership, people expect the moon from it.. when is sell a japanese, (we never worked on japanese bikes ever and do not inent to do so ever also Wink we can sell it as "is" and do so.. makes a differece regarding the risk/potential money involved....
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219313211th Dec 2020 11:41 am
Dannyson

England 

My MY2016 HSE (with adblue - obviously) has been valued by warranty wise as over £32,000 with 27,000 (low I know :-} miles and FSH :-}

But see my input under insurance/warranties on this site.....
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #219330812th Dec 2020 12:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >