Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My Europe Trip 2018
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 12 <123 ... 678 ... 101112>
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Nice walk through vineyards and olive groves yesterday morning to Porto Pontese. Very nice views, coffee and croissant.
Click image to enlarge

Tried to find the same by driving to Maderno and the walking to Toscolano but nowhere near as good. Lakeside walk was ok but lacked life and decent coffee shops. Market was once again full of clothes and no local produce.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #193983126th Apr 2018 10:58 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Tomorrow will be a lazy day and another walk for breakfast in Porto Portese. Then Saturday we are off to Sesto in the Dolomites. Should be 4 Hours with a stop.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #193983226th Apr 2018 11:00 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Good and BAD News

First the good news. Great drive up the Brenner Valley and fab pitch with a view of mountains and stream alongside.
Click image to enlarge

Now the bad news. The offside motor mover has failed which will be a pain on small pitches. I think it’s the drive pin that has broken - it’s designed to break if too much load applied. The best instructions I have found so far are these. But may be a different model.
https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/to...to-engage/

I will call Powrtouch on Monday. They can supply new pins - hopefully in post to Slovenia, our next stop on Thursday.

Here is the offending motor etc.
Click image to enlarge

If anyone has experience of a sheared pin and replacement please post a reply.
Post #194047028th Apr 2018 6:05 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Sesto campsite is very quirky but with stunning views and well place for walks. That said, it is very quiet as we are between the skiing and walks no season. Suits us.

Temperature fluctuates between 1 degree at night and 21degrees in the sun.

As the grass has not regrown the site looks a bit bare with every pitch a hard standing. The showers and facilities make up for it. I will try to take some photos as it is like bring in a spa. Warm, cosy with light jazz playing in background and all in an “underground cave”. Really very posh and very different from normal camping. Here is the web site https://www.caravanparksexten.it/en/carava...-here.html

As with all the sites so far - they have been great but in high season may be too busy and commercial for us.

This is day 22. Only another 25 nights to go before we will be back in uk.
Post #194065529th Apr 2018 12:59 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

For anyone interested in some of the walks, map below. To give an idea of scale - Sexten (Sesto in Italian) to San Candido is about 1 hour walking
Click image to enlarge
Post #194065729th Apr 2018 1:15 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Good and BAD News

Barn1e wrote:

If anyone has experience of a sheared pin and replacement please post a reply.

No experience of that, but just to say I had to call Powrtouch from Austria last year with a (different) fault and I found them very helpful indeed.

Post #194071129th Apr 2018 6:43 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Barn1e wrote:
Sesto campsite is very quirky but with stunning views and well place for walks. That said, it is very quiet as we are between the skiing and walks no season. Suits us.

I'll be interested to find out what you think of this site once you've been there a few days.

We're planning to be in that area in September and had been thinking of this place http://www.toblachersee.com mainly because it claims to be dog friendly Very Happy

PS: did you book or just turn up ?

Post #194071229th Apr 2018 6:52 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Brian, we booked in advance through the caravan club. I am not sure of the cost because we booked several sites and the ferry. There are don bins and free bags dotted around and you can walk into the hillside from the site. So, dog friendly I would say, as have all the sites we stayed at - we chose those that would take two dogs- some only take one.

Here are some photos of the “shower block”
The entrance looks like the service entrance for the accommodation above
Click image to enlarge

Once inside greeted with spa like music and incense
Click image to enlarge

A theme that continues throughout
Click image to enlarge

There are three blocks like this. All open. I have never seen anyone in the one we use.

They also have toilets that clean the seat Rolling with laughter
Post #194078530th Apr 2018 7:01 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I stayed there in the summer great site/spa facilities and over 5000ft altitude. My wife did the three peaks trip. Very busy in the summer so best to book.

Post #194078830th Apr 2018 7:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gazellio

Barn1e wrote:
Nice walk through vineyards and olive groves yesterday morning to Porto Pontese. Very nice views, coffee and croissant.
Click image to enlarge

Tried to find the same by driving to Maderno and the walking to Toscolano but nowhere near as good. Lakeside walk was ok but lacked life and decent coffee shops. Market was once again full of clothes and no local produce.

On Google maps I can only find Porto Pontese in the middle of Rome?

Post #194078930th Apr 2018 7:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

My spelling error - Porto Portese
Post #194079630th Apr 2018 8:08 am
Gazellio

OK thanks its not listed on Google Maps.

Post #194079830th Apr 2018 8:18 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Quick update on the failed Caravan Mover..... contacted Truma who confirm I need a new motor and gearbox that only comes as one unit at £150. I have now removed the complete offside unit and stripped it down to core parts including the motor and gearbox that need to be replaced.

Waiting for a price on shipping to us at Lake Bled where we will be from Thursday until Tuesday next week. The alternative is to mange with the mover working one wheel and use brute force on the other until we get home.

Click image to enlarge
Post #19415001st May 2018 1:28 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Did more walking today on trails that are not always well signposted. Missing a decent OS map. But enjoyable still the same. Walked some ski runs that would be reds and black!

With two days of rain forecast, decided to swap the canvas awning for light weight porch making it easier to take down on Thursday morning. We will put up the canvas one again at Bled and dry the small porch awning when there.
Click image to enlarge
Post #19415281st May 2018 3:06 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

These two photos are of the walk across the road from campsite. Interesting contrast
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #19415651st May 2018 5:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 12 <123 ... 678 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >