DISCO4.COM > General

Dashpack failure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Dashpack failure?

Anyone experienced this?

I have a 2006 D3 TDV6 HSE with the intermittent electrical shutdown issue described elsewhere on this forum which my local indie has diagnosed as a CANBUS failure and he says its the 'dash pack' (instrument cluster). This is about £1000! New battery and all connections, TCCM etc have been checked and found to be OK.

The car is a high miler (253,000) and I'm selling it and am already committed to new cam belts, oil pump and EGR's, for the benefit of the new owner, but this is getting silly and I will be virtually giving the car away at this rate!

Help and advice welcome....

Post #19342757th Apr 2018 12:17 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I can’t help with the dash problems but why not just blank the EGR’s? Which only costs a few quid.

Post #19342947th Apr 2018 1:36 pm
noizeman

Because doing so increases noxious emissions, is illegal as well as immoral and I am not prepared to do that, knowingly. The new owner can do this if he wishes but it won't be on my conscience! But lets' not start another debate abut the rights and wrongs of diesel emissions. The case is well proven.

I appreciate your advice was well-intentioned and for that I am grateful.

Post #19343007th Apr 2018 1:51 pm
Erea

Thumbs Up

Post #19343057th Apr 2018 2:00 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: Dashpack failure?

noizeman wrote:
The car is a high miler (253,000) and I'm selling it and am already committed to new cam belts, oil pump and EGR's, for the benefit of the new owner, but this is getting silly and I will be virtually giving the car away at this rate!

Help and advice welcome....

Another alternative is not to sell her, strip her, flog the easy fruit then scrap the rest. You’d be surprised how much is easy to remove and the demand for parts out there. No further outlay from you, I’d have thought you’d be a in a lot better position financially. Plus stripping the car is positively therapeutic. Thumbs Up

Post #19343107th Apr 2018 2:13 pm
noizeman

I hear you and believe me I am giving that some serious thought! I am unable to do any stripping myself however as I have neither the time nor inclination and physically, I don't think I'd be able anyway, being an old fart!

The engine is good and the body & interior are near perfect apart from a bit of wear on the drivers seat. It had a brand new gearbox at 235,000 miles which must be worth something?

I might amend the advert (currently in the 'for sale' section of the forum), to "good runner in VGC but needs some attention". Then just see if any offers come in.

Post #19343157th Apr 2018 2:23 pm
Dave Shirley

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

They say a little knowledge is dangerous which is mostly true in my experience. I had all the emissions checked on my Disco before and after blanking the egr valves to see the effect it would have and the readings were virtually the same. Fitting these crappy valves to diesel engines is just paying lip service to the so called greens. If the government is so worried about carbon emissions why is it that they actually stage the international air tattoo at RAF Fairford and other places every year where they burn thousands and thousands of gallons of aviation fuel with the Red Arrows for example filling the skies with dyed diesel that they make the smoke from for their red white and blue trails. Our military use old technology aircraft with heavy polluting engines as do the Yanks with their B52s for instance. Next time anyone goes on a cruise ship just check the smoke from the engines and see how black it is. Motor racing is a very un green sport but it still goes on without a tax penalty. Have I made my point, I don't hear of anybody refitting their egr valves having removed them in the first place to un choke their engines and make them breath better thereby using less fuel. Rolling Eyes Whistle Thumbs Up

Last edited by Dave Shirley on 7th Apr 2018 2:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19343187th Apr 2018 2:29 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up Just looked at the add page, she looks very nice. Thumbs Up

Post #19343207th Apr 2018 2:31 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

DSL suggesting asset stripping? Who would've thought. Whistle

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Last edited by Hardware on 7th Apr 2018 4:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19343237th Apr 2018 2:37 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Hopefully won’t do it again. Well not for a while. Whistle

Post #19343277th Apr 2018 2:50 pm
noizeman

DSL wrote:
Thumbs Up Just looked at the add page, she looks very nice. Thumbs Up

Thanks DSL. Yes that's a common response from anyone who sees her. They can't believe the mileage. It would be a real shame to break her up but I have to be pragmatic.

Post #19343287th Apr 2018 2:55 pm
noizeman

Dave Shirley wrote:
They say a little knowledge is dangerous which is mostly true in my experience. I had all the emissions checked on my Disco before and after blanking the egr valves to see the effect it would have and the readings were virtually the same. Fitting these crappy valves to diesel engines is just paying lip service to the so called greens. If the government is so worried about carbon emissions why is it that they actually stage the international air tattoo at RAF Fairford and other places every year where they burn thousands and thousands of gallons of aviation fuel with the Red Arrows for example filling the skies with dyed diesel that they make the smoke from for their red white and blue trails. Our military use old technology aircraft with heavy polluting engines as do the Yanks with their B52s for instance. Next time anyone goes on a cruise ship just check the smoke from the engines and see how black it is. Motor racing is a very un green sport but it still goes on without a tax penalty. Have I made my point, I don't hear of anybody refitting their egr valves having removed them in the first place to un choke their engines and make them breath better thereby using less fuel. Rolling Eyes Whistle Thumbs Up

With greatest respect we'll just have to agree to differ for now as I don't want to take this thread off track. I'd be happy to discuss this in a separate thread/forum and perhaps educate you to the facts, which are that, while we still live in an imperfect world with many challenges, we are moving steadily and irreversibly towards a renewable energy future where we will no longer have to burn fossil fuels. Fully electric road vehicles are a modest beginning and while we will continue to run our fossils for a few years yet, we should do so responsibly and keep vehicle emissions as low as possible. Not much we can do in the short term about CO2 but NOX and particulates have the greatest impact on human health in urban environments.

Now - can you help me with this dash pack issue? Very Happy Question

Post #19343517th Apr 2018 4:01 pm
noizeman

Ooh, I've just found some info when searching under 'instrument cluster' and 'Ipac'. Thanks anyway folks.
I still have the decision to repair and sell, or break her up, however!

Post #19343637th Apr 2018 4:24 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

just admit the fault and drop price by a few quid ?

Post #19343777th Apr 2018 4:38 pm
Erea

Would it be possible to fit a second hand dash pack? Surely that would be cheaper. Is there something about needing the replacement having a lower mileage than the car so it can be recalibrated up to the correct mileage or is it the other way around.

Post #19345308th Apr 2018 9:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >