DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Another long, considered thread reply lost
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

sugar..i missed the fun

Post #197864229th Aug 2018 12:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
Downing Street has refused to confirm that MPs will see a full economic analysis of the impact of a no-deal Brexit before their final vote on departure from the EU, even though such a scenario would happen by default if they rejected Theresa May’s proposals.

I keep hearing MPs saying 'no-one voted to be poorer as a result of Brexit'
and yet we did vote for Brexit, despite the Treasury forecast of a year-long recession and 820,000 job losses if we voted for Brexit.
I don't think MPs can say we didn't vote to be poorer...if we believed Treasury forecasts.
Thankfully, the Treasury's ability to forecast proved to be about as good as ever it was.
I don't expect it will have improved a great deal (sic) in the time since the vote.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #197864329th Aug 2018 12:00 am
highlands

LT wrote:
English wine for me Sir! Smile Thumbs Up

Kyle Co-op don't sell any, and I think if I try to online order it my name gets put down on the SNP's 'list' Sad
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto

Post #197864529th Aug 2018 12:02 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

What no Buckfast? Shocked
Laughing
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #197864629th Aug 2018 12:03 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

highlands wrote:
LT wrote:
Downing Street has refused to confirm that MPs will see a full economic analysis of the impact of a no-deal Brexit before their final vote on departure from the EU, even though such a scenario would happen by default if they rejected Theresa May’s proposals.

I keep hearing MPs saying 'no-one voted to be poorer as a result of Brexit'
and yet we did vote for Brexit, despite the Treasury forecast of a year-long recession and 820,000 job losses if we voted for Brexit.
I don't think MPs can say we didn't vote to be poorer...if we believed Treasury forecasts.
Thankfully, the Treasury's ability to forecast proved to be about as good as ever it was.
I don't expect it will have improved a great deal (sic) in the time since the vote.

Each individual MP could decide for themselves if they agree or not, were they allowed to see the analysis in the first place.

Post #197864829th Aug 2018 12:06 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'll stick to ale and whiskey Thumbs Up

Now getting back on topic...... Whistle

If 'the will of the people' (read Tory Party), defined by feedback from opinion polls was good enough for a vote on Brexit, why is it wrong for 'the will of the people' to have a second vote based on opinion polls .... Whistle

Now that things are becoming clearer from both the impact and opportunity of Brexit, it now allows people to have a clearer view of to make a more informed decision. Surely thats a good thing and how democracies should work .... Whistle
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #197864929th Aug 2018 12:09 am
highlands

It wasn't feedback from opinion polls that resulted in the Brexit referendum, but rather a manifesto commitment enacted in the Parliament to which it related.
The will of the people for a referendum was established through the General Election and the will of the people on Brexit was established by the largest ever response to a democratic vote in the UK.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto

Post #197865329th Aug 2018 12:40 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

highlands wrote:
I look forward to drinking (post-Brexit, even more tariff-free) South African Pinotage to that! Wink

That's a big shortfall in trade to make up. How much will you be drinking? Shocked Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #197866229th Aug 2018 5:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

highlands wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Indeed. Got to love the pro-Brexit parliamentarians who say a public vote (referendum) on the outcome would be undemocratic. A vote for Brexit is democratic. A vote against is undemocratic. That's how Putin rolls... Rolling Eyes

We had a democratic process to get the referendum.
An in/out referendum was promised in the manifesto of the party that gained a majority in Parliament in a General Election, as well as a majority of people voting for parties that promised an in/out referendum.
As a result Parliament enacted the in/out referendum.

Parties in the next General Election promised they would carry out the result of the referendum, that we would leave. Over 80% of the UK electorate voted for parties that promised this, so Parliament is enacting it.

If you want another referendum based on Democracy and Sovereignty of Parliament, I suggest you vote for parties that offer it in the next General Election and if they gain a majority they'll almost certainly enact it.

Democracy "of the people, by the people, for the people". If the people want another referendum then they should have one. Or is that too democratic?

At the very least, the people's representatives should have the chance to look at all information pertinent to the issue. That is not happening either, as LT points out.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #197867529th Aug 2018 7:55 am
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
OK I'm going to have my say on the last 24hrs...warts and all.

The original brexit thread grew considerably as a debating chamber ...in the main it was just that ....with some wondrous observations of both facts, conjecture and humour from both sides ...occasionally it got a bit steamy but ultimately it was good natured and I truly believe that we were all learning a little something from either side.

In recent weeks it became rather more controversial with reasonable debate being stifled in certain respects. Tempers became raised by a flat-lined aggressive stance at times and the response to this became elevated, including my own as a participant.

In light of that, I felt the only course of action was to lock the old thread and start a new one with very defined rules. The point here was that, in pursuit of light humour and genuine debate, we could have somehow continued.

The outcome was tbh a disaster...why? because not only was the perceived protagonist unable to keep their requirement ...but also others from the opposite viewpoint ...my own viewpoint, were also unable to contain themselves in an equal measure of the enhanced rules. Rolling Eyes

My view and advice is that where you know responses will be completely fruitless ...the don't respond ..don't provide oxygen.

The fact that Martin has become involved is somewhat embarrassing ....I do genuinely hope that a reasoned debate on this vital , once in a lifetime topic, can return at some point Thumbs Up

So is this the new brexit thread or are you starting another?

You should bring it back. Lots of these old people only posted on that thread Mr. Green
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Last edited by professorpool on 29th Aug 2018 8:04 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #197867729th Aug 2018 8:01 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

highlands wrote:
It wasn't feedback from opinion polls that resulted in the Brexit referendum, but rather a manifesto commitment enacted in the Parliament to which it related.
The will of the people for a referendum was established through the General Election and the will of the people on Brexit was established by the largest ever response to a democratic vote in the UK.

The referendum was not made a binding one, either by the manifesto or, more importantly, by Parliament.

"The will of the people" can change and if our democracy is to be worth the name, it must take account of that.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #197867829th Aug 2018 8:01 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
highlands wrote:
I look forward to drinking (post-Brexit, even more tariff-free) South African Pinotage to that! Wink

That's a big shortfall in trade to make up. How much will you be drinking? Shocked Laughing

There go a million new year resolutions to drink less next year! Rolling with laughter
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #197867929th Aug 2018 8:02 am
professorpool

Disco_Mikey wrote:
highlands wrote:

What evidence exists that trade with the EU will come to a stop?
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #197868129th Aug 2018 8:18 am
LT

The RCN calls for a second referendum:

Quote:
With more than 100,000 staff vacancies across the NHS, 40,000 of them nurses, the RCN has been vocal about the harms of a “botched Brexit” and the risk of making it more difficult to attract nurses.

It says a second referendum will ensure the public has the chance to make an informed decision on the terms of the UK’s exit, two and a half years after it voted to Leave.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/...11881.html

Post #197868229th Aug 2018 8:31 am
professorpool

The chances of there being another referendum on membership of the EU (if it still exists) stand at about 100% likely.

The chances of such a referendum taking place BEFORE we brexit are about 1%.
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #197868329th Aug 2018 8:33 am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >