Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Front End Drops Overnight - Suspension Fault C1A20-64
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
logche

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, I have also air leak and I'm trying to find it and thank you all for advices.

I remove fuse 26 and on the next morning I find the front lowered. So, thought to start with the front valve block - so I replaced all the o-ring on it and tested it last night - again remove fuse 26 and in the morning the landy didn't move at all. Happy days.. but after a couple of ours I have unlocked the car (with fuse 26 still removed) took something from inside and noticed it got lowered. Measured it and it was 2 cm down for 2 hours. So, what can be possible changed and for one night - around 14 hours not to drop a mm and then for 2 hours - 2 cm? Do I have to tight the nuts on the valve block?

I know it needs probably new air struts as it is 175k and still with the original ones, but the situation from last night is odd.

Planning for tonight to remove front wheel archers and use a lot of soapy water.
 Thanks,
Tiho 

Post #216827317th Aug 2020 4:28 pm
a.pinkerton

Northern Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi logche

Just to update from my last post, I replaced my front two air struts and it sorted all my issues. I had found a leak with soapy water on passenger side but drivers wasn't looking great either. I didn't even touch the the valve block in the end. All I can assume is a bit of an air leak was messing about with the system overall. I now have no drop at all. Extra info, my d3 had a new compressor just before I bought it about a year and a half ago.

Have to say even though it was expensive it's been a very satisfactory repair as the d3 now handles a lot better overall and I've had it on some mild off road tracks with no issues.

They are relatively easy to replace if you are ok on the tools and just take your time. Plenty of info on here.

Hope you get sorted.

Adam

Post #216830117th Aug 2020 6:00 pm
logche

Thank you Adam,

I just tested it with soapy water and found the passenger one is leaking significantly. The drivers one though - not. But overnight whole front goes down. I assume it is either the drivers one is leaking and is very slowly or some how valve block o rings are leaking as well.
 Thanks,
Tiho 

Post #216831117th Aug 2020 6:38 pm
a.pinkerton

Yes someone on here might know more about the system overall but I was also confused as to why the the strut that didn't appear to have a leak also sank, when I now know for certain the valve block was fine.

I boughy the Dunlop struts that a lot of the online suppliers stock and seem to be doing well so far. Just to note they don't come with new top nuts so I got some locally just to be thorough.

Post #216832217th Aug 2020 6:58 pm
logche

And did you put this brass push fittings which gstuart mentioned in the first page - https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/6...2875-p.asp
 Thanks,
Tiho 

Post #216832417th Aug 2020 7:09 pm
a.pinkerton

No, if I remember correctly the new struts came with the connectors screwed in. I just removed the old olive on the line and pushed the airline into the connector as it sat and it locked it. I think I maybe gave it a little nip up with the spanner and that was it...12mm spanner I Think off top of my head.

Post #216836317th Aug 2020 9:42 pm
logche

Thank you Adam!

Will share thoughts once I replace them.
 Thanks,
Tiho 

Post #216836717th Aug 2020 9:51 pm
a.pinkerton

No problem. Last thing I found tricky was getting the top nut off the old struts in at the back (closest to engine). In the end I actually accessed from above. Probably not the most professional method, but I got a crow bar in and bent the lip of metal in the engine bay out of the way (it doesn't really do any harm...i don't think) and then used a couple of extensions on my socket reach the top nut. I also gave the socket a gentle tap with the hammer to push it home because you're approaching at a slight angle. If I can find a photo I'll post it.

Again, just the way I did it. Attempt at your own risk! Haha.

Once I got the old struts out, fitting the new ones was pretty quick.

Post #216837217th Aug 2020 10:06 pm
a.pinkerton

First photo I've uploaded here so hope it works. You can see the silver lip I'm talking about (this was passenger side). I just bent that back a little to allow a socket on an extension bar in.

Post #216837417th Aug 2020 10:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >