Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Cold Start Coolant Leak(s) after Motorway Mayhem !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
manichauhan

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the heads up, Pete. Really appreciate the assitance. Have started working in it. Fingers crossed !

Post #216950423rd Aug 2020 5:37 pm
manichauhan

Part is called a Water Outlet Assembly (or simply Water Connector), part number LR073372 1357091.

For any other novice who might experience this problem, I found a very good set of (& reassuring !) instructions on ho to access the part to replace it. Hardest part is getting the EGR valve off, but patience prevails.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showt...eplacement

(Title may be a bit misleading)

Post #216960324th Aug 2020 8:18 am
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi everyone. (as I said in a previous post, I was going to post my thanks here)

It has been a long time since I read here about that annoying coolant issue. In my case, the coolant level was dropping, never when driving, normally after cold. I realised a pond of pink liquid on the floor. The place where the leak was originating was impossible to localise as there was liquid everywhere around the engine bay. None of the hoses appeared to have any damage or signs of puncture/crack. But there was some stains/marks over the water assembly.

After I read here, I decided to bite the bullet and bought the said water connector. After all, I thought that if the leak was not there, at least I did some preventive maintenance. It took me just over an hour of work to replace the part following the instructions here and in the link above.

Took the old one out giggling from side to side until it was free - that was the most difficult part for me. (that is because on "step 3" of the link above I decided to remove the clips from the EGR pipes instead of unbolt it completely from the air intake).

Cleaned every surface, and fit the new part that also came with new o-rings. Followed the instructions for coolant replacement and voila. All good, no more coolant leak. Thanks everyone. 
The replacement was done back in August but I was/am busy since then, so... late post. But hey... the coolant level is still keeping and not more leak since then. I only regret not having blanked my EGR back then.

Thanks again... this forum is really amazing.

Post #21917435th Dec 2020 8:42 pm
manichauhan

Hi Prette,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad your coolant leak is all sorted. The Y-shaped water connector is suprisingly easy to change if you remain patient and persistent.

I took my time changing it (didn't want to break anything else and make the problem worse !). Also took the opportunity to clean the top of the engine bay, flush out the entire coolant system (including the pipes that run to the back of the car, if you have rear air-con) and replace the coolant expansion tank because the coolant level sensor had dropped to the bottom of the tank, giving false coolant level alert on the dashboard.

Post #21917796th Dec 2020 12:09 am
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi mani,

Nice complete work you did.
Unfortunately, i did not have the spare time to do all that. I just top-up the coolant on that occasion.
Expansion bottle exchange is my next (non necessary) job to tackle. I already bought one. But first i need to deal with EGR blanking.
Andy

Post #21917946th Dec 2020 9:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >