D4 the LR Pinnacle? An Essay.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nasher wrote:
Moo wrote:

I wouldn't dismiss the Defender. You do get used to the rear door and when the seats are down it carries lots of kit. I've put in a rear shelf which makes a big difference in usability.

I think after the last couple of days it will certainly get more consideration.

I still miss my D4 but I'm very happy and pleased with my Defender. Took me a while though! Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #234880526th Sep 2023 3:53 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks guys.
I note nobody has commented on my finding that the D5 second row seats don't fold completely flat.
I'm sure the ones I looked at when they first came out did, but those in the new D5 at the dealers last week certainly didn't.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #234881026th Sep 2023 4:40 pm
Nasher

What prompted me to start this thread was our annual trip to Cornwall for a week last year where we walk the beaches, Bodmin Moor, and Coastpath regardless of the weather, and use our D4 to get to some places that other vehicles struggle.
We got back from this years trip on Saturday, and with regard to the D4 it just cemented my views.

As an aside, I’m really sorry everybody up North, our weather was fantastic for the week with very little rain during the daytime, and just a day of gusty wind.
But that made for a fantastic day on the coast path watching the waves crash in.

This year our accommodation was actually on the Saints way, near Wadebridge, a barn conversion on a farm, and the only access was @150 yards of muddy and rocky track with a high ridge in the middle.
The D4 obviously didn’t have a problem with this, but I don’t know how guests turning up in ‘lesser vehicles’ react or manage when they get there. They must have to park up and walk in.

Being the first week of the private schools 2 week half Term, rather than the State School 1 week Half Term, the contents of various car parks were heavily biased towards D4/5s and ‘new’ Defenders,
with the odd FFRR thrown in.

Polzeath Beach, although a bit ‘touristy’ for our liking, is a good place to stop for lunch if you are travelling that part of the coast, and as you park on the beach it’s nice to park with the boot open facing the sea and sit on the tailgate to have lunch.
Whilst waiting for our lunch to be made at the Beach Box I realised that right in front of me were two families next to each other, one in a D5, and one in a new 110 defender, getting ready for some surfing with the boots open.
The 110 load space opening does look very narrow compared to the D5, the floor much higher, and of course stepped in over the bumper.

The family with the D5 were doing exactly what we do with the D4, sitting on the tailgate etc, where as the 110 family were standing and bending into the boot space.

Another day in a different car park a couple in a FFRR pulled up near us, and used the lower tailgate in the same way as we do in the D4.
Post #235124224th Oct 2023 10:00 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

That's the crux of it, the tail gate. We've used our daughter's D3 for a few trips recently and the tailgate has been a boon. However, our lifestyle is changing and the kids are grown up so we don't do the trips we did and for all my grumbling about the year door and lack of tailgate, you get used to it and its fine.

If LR ever make a D6, I hope they will reinstate the split tailgate.

As a drive the Defender is great and reminds me of why I like the D3/4, its as close as you're ever going to get, whereas the D5 is just a posh car on stilts.

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #235124424th Oct 2023 10:21 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

In inclement weather, sitting in the tailgate with mrs ronp enjoying our soup and the protection the D4 gives.
btw, for maximum protection I've made, carry & use, two padded seatbacks that rest against the second row seats [and they store flat when not in use] ..... and my D4 'wolf' box acts as a central table.

Click image to enlarge
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #235125024th Oct 2023 11:33 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thought you'd liberated one of Dels pictures from one of his D3 adventures Smile

Post #235125824th Oct 2023 12:28 pm
Nasher

Yes, I’ve resurrected this thread again, as I’ve been looking at various cars when they come up for sale locally.
I feel more justified in comparing the various options now.

D5, I’ve definitely discounted completely now.
I’ve driven a couple, and just didn’t like them.

FFRR – I’ve driven a couple of @2018 L405 4.4TDV8 Autobiography spec cars, plus a Vogue SE, and really liked them.
They are available with low miles in the highest specs at frankly very reasonable prices considering how much car you get.
They have the for me very desirable split ‘up and down’ tailgate, and will tow anything.
The second row seats fold reasonably flat, but each one I looked at appears to be different, and some fold much flatter than others.
Finding the right spec one with regards to colour etc could however be a challenge if I wanted one quickly.
Most have the awful light coloured interior and I only like the Dark interior.

Defender 110
Again I’ve driven a couple, both D300’s, although the spec options still bewilder me.
Yes I liked them, there is no denying they are a great car and look fantastic.
In 5 seat form the second row does fold flat enough for me, but the rear load space is a bit short.
The rear door opening is a bit narrow, and of course the side opening rear door isn’t really what I want.
They are also stupidly expensive for what they are.
A test drive of a P400e would be really interesting despite my Diesel addiction.

Defender 130
Yes I know they are Looooong, but I actually quite like the look of them.
They appear better proportioned to me with the longer rear overhang, and less like a butchered early Discovery or RR Classic that somebody has, I believe the accepted term is ‘Bobtailed’, to improve the departure angle.
I’ve not driven one, but did look at one.
In 5 seat ‘Outbound’ Spec the rear load space is flat and long enough for my needs, and they are only around a foot longer than a D4.
They appear to only be available with the D300 engine in 5 seat form.
I’d like to test drive one and try parking it at Sainsburys.
But of course the rear opening and Door are the same as the 110.
Again they are very expensive.

Ineos Grenadier
I keep coming back to the Grenadier, I don’t appear to be able to help myself.
I like them, a lot, for lots of reasons, but the front end looks a bit toy like, and the lack of a flat load space would take some working around.
They are also a bit too tall to fit in some car parks etc that a D4 does squeeze in.
The split rear doors are a better compromise for me than a single large door.
The bugs are gradually being ironed out of them now and they are a budget option compared to a 110.
Diesel engine is of course the same basic unit as in the 110/130.
Some people appear to really struggle with the feel of the steering, I didn’t mind it, but it is different.

I’ve also looked at a couple of Mercedes M series cars, and Volvo XCs
I liked them both, especially the Volvo, but the lack of a low range box worries me as I do use it in my D4, did in my D3, and my previous Shoguns.
However, I have to say, that if I needed to replace my D4 urgently, and an XC90 in the right spec was available at the right price I’d be very tempted.
Post #23634704th Mar 2024 11:54 am
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

Thanks for starting and maintaining this thread. It is one of the few that had me inspired to read it from beginning to end.
Of course all of you have contributed all that I would say, so no need to repeat.
However, I was in the carpark of a local watering hole and parked next to an acquaintance with the G wagon…
And we have these takeaways…
Far too much money. (thus the bragging rights??)
Won’t let his children take it camping or to the beach for the weekend or to the ski hill…. I can’t say that.
Afraid to take it off the beaten track…. mine goes Everywhere and has a few paint scratches to prove it.
Uses it as a stop light dragster and races down the motorway.. I have no interest in this. Give me the winding country road, any day.
Will not use it as a shlepmobile… mine shleps everything.

And we had the conversation in the very light rain, with coffees, from the tailgate of you know who.

Cheers!
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #23634714th Mar 2024 12:53 pm
Nasher

Thanks Itsaguything.

I do like the G Wagon, but couldn't contemplate spending the sort of money a reasonably new one commands.

An older one as a toy would be nice, but not as a daily driver with a similar or better spec than a D4.
Post #23635034th Mar 2024 4:21 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Happy to be shot down in flames but to me the D5 is a Freelander 2 with a proper 4wd system and "new" Defender is a D4 on steroids.

Probably grossly unfair to both but I did mourn the death of the FL2 (a little) but once I saw the front of the D5 I could see someone in the LR ivory tower deciding there was not enough space in the market for both too similar vehicles.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23635424th Mar 2024 10:55 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Nasher wrote:
…….an XC90 in the right spec was available at the right price I’d be very tempted.

Well based upon the above quote from the OP, for me this thread has now just gone down the pan. Confused
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #23635474th Mar 2024 11:38 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Why?

I've owned two D3s, one of which I had from new, fourteen years and 231,000 miles and my daughter has one now. I've owned a D4, which I had for two years, then bought an XC90, which was excellent with a brilliant dealer who knew customer service and then sold for a new Defender 110 for reasons and need that didn't pan out. Of all those cars, the two I miss are my original D3 and the XC90. I'm still not 100% convinced by the Defender and still look at the XC90 with a smile.

I've experienced them all. and the XC90 is a cracking car that does 90% of what a D4 does. Just look how many on here have bought one. Whistle Thumbs Up

D4 Face lifted
V8 Front brakes
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #23635525th Mar 2024 1:03 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I would have an XC90 in the blink of an eye only reason I dont is the towing limit !

Post #23635645th Mar 2024 9:48 am
Nasher

ronp wrote:

Well based upon the above quote from the OP, for me this thread has now just gone down the pan. Confused

Don't worry ronp, I don't think it would happen.

I would be VERY tempted, but at the last minute would probably have second thoughts about the lack of a Low range.

popsdosh wrote:
I would have an XC90 in the blink of an eye only reason I dont is the towing limit !

And yes, that's the other issue.

My Boat on it's twin axle(heavy) trailer loaded with Camping and Diving gear for a trip West can be up to 3tns, so the XC90 wouldn't be legal, although I've no doubt it would cope.

I do have 2 options in that respect though.
1) Change the boat to something smaller - Not going to Happen.
2) Change the boat to something bigger that is too big to tow. Would love to but the flexibility of towing it to use in different areas and storing it away from the Marine environment prices is just too good.
Post #23635685th Mar 2024 10:07 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

popsdosh wrote:

I didn't like the driving position of the XC90 when I tested one back in 2015. An SUV with a car like driving position from memory

Post #23635725th Mar 2024 11:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >