Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault w/ codes - updated... but not solved!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You'll be surprised how quickly you can dry that dessicant out - I've dried a batch in a greenhouse in a day before - I was barred from using the kitchen appliances for car maintenance .....

When you rebuild the dryer unit put a thin smear of red rubber grease or similar on the seals. Helps assembley and hopefully helps prevent water ingress past them.
 I see no ships........  
Post #231829012th Dec 2022 12:33 pm
Kieran.O

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yeah I split them into two tubs an cooked them 30s a time till the colour changed... to be fair there was a lot of steam coming off them! Hahah lucky I got a chance to sneak it in chef micro while she wasn't around otherwise I'd have been snookered... red rubber grease, would a multi purpose grease be as good? I have a Halfords and gsf car parts close by that I could get some from but the don't seem to list red rubber grease

Post #231829112th Dec 2022 12:43 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ordinary grease will make the seals swell so best not to use any if you can't get red rubber grease
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #231830612th Dec 2022 2:01 pm
Kieran.O

Cheers for that never ended up putting any on as It wasn't stocked..... everything's connected up and got the car running, compressor sounds okay and fairy liquid shows no leaks on the compressor connections but it doesn't seem to be raising - is this expected due to it being completely depressurised therefore it has to build that up again? All 4 corners are on bumps

Edit: tried raising it to off-road, heard a 'dumph' then the cars come up - no warning lights thus far, will do another overnight test tonight to see if it drops

Post #231831312th Dec 2022 2:37 pm
Kieran.O

Taken F26 out while it's in off road height around 60/90mins ago and the front has dropped very significantly... I'm guessing the valve, I will update once the service kit has come

Post #231832612th Dec 2022 5:08 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Kieran.O wrote:
gstuart wrote:
This is personally the jack and axle stands I got , there are of course other makes etc , just wished to share the links for u as an option

Trolley jack
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3lp-low-...olley-jack

Jack and stands
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3lp-js-l...xle-stands

Axle stands

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/jsr3-axle-stands

Cheers, not badly priced to be fair... I think a set of these and the gap tool will help a lot but it will be an after Christmas purchase I think!

The forum is great, a reason I wanted a disco was because the vast knowledge people on here have of them I can learn some new skills and do the job properly... once I can start contributing back more then I'll be happy!

I will get these dried out and order a new bag of beads/filters... hopefully this fixes the issue - if not back to the drawing board!

Hiya

Indeed ur be well set up then

In the mean time u could buy an Autel AP200 , they come in different colours so u want the white one and there under £60.00 , very handy to have in ur glove box

https://www.auteldiag.co.uk/products/autel-maxiap-ap200

One of its many features is to program keys which will save u a fortune as I bought my key off eBay for around £35.00 , plus £10 to get the blade cut and then programmed for free , instead of the £260 quoted from my local JLR dealer rip off merchant

Personally I used a minute amount of silicone grease and also tried red rubber grease , , but, after putting it all back tighter I used a hand vacuum pump on each port of the valve block to see if the seals were working as they should, unfortunately they failed , here’s also a link to the hand vacuum pump I used

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183103777181?ep...BMjubF86Bh

Due to my suspension being in such a bad condition when I bought it I ended up replacing all 3 x valve blocks , front struts , compressor , air tank , disconnecting air lines and blowing them out one by one, then removing all the Voss connectors and replacing them with brass push fits , made life so much easier

Also included a video where he rebuilds the valve block

Have u checked ur suspension height yet please , if not put it into normal ride height , then measure from the centre of the wheels to the bottom of ur wheel arch , fronts should be 466mm and rear 485mm

Then once you’ve measured them u pull that F26 fuse, leave overnight then recheck the heights , just stops the suspension from self levelling

As the front of urs is dropping indeed as u say more than likely is the front valve block , hopefully it’s not a strut

Might be an idea that in off road height to spray the front valve block to see if there are any bubbles , if not if u see the video where he sprays a strut and can hear it leaking

U might be lucky after raising it , then engine off to listen as sometimes u can hear it leaking

Have also included another video , know he’s replacing the front struts but also shows how the measurement is done

Think that’s enough of me waffling away, lol, hope it helps and plse let us know how ur getting on

Post #231833212th Dec 2022 5:39 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Kieran.O wrote:
Cheers for that never ended up putting any on as It wasn't stocked..... everything's connected up and got the car running, compressor sounds okay and fairy liquid shows no leaks on the compressor connections but it doesn't seem to be raising - is this expected due to it being completely depressurised therefore it has to build that up again? All 4 corners are on bumps

Edit: tried raising it to off-road, heard a 'dumph' then the cars come up - no warning lights thus far, will do another overnight test tonight to see if it drops

Here are the links for the plumbers grease , indeed just need a minute amount for the dryer O ring as suggested to aid it going back in

Is the same company that sell both

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353353146685?ha...BM7OeB9KBh

Or indeed the red rubber grease

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353378362783?va...BMjOWT9KBh

Post #231833612th Dec 2022 5:55 pm
Kieran.O

Good morning,

Thought i would post an update of the situation.

I replaced the desiccant and seals of the compressor which did improve the compressor performance/noise and i also replaced the front valve block which solved both front sides dropping and then only the drivers side would drop.

Lived with it for a while as it was possible (Albeit a struggle) to get it to pump up to standard height but after further investigation i could hear a hissing from that side so I decided to replace the strut this weekend (I will be replacing the other side very soon also) and overnight the suspension seems to have stayed up which is good news - do i need to calibrate anything now? I only have the Autel at the minute so not 100% if thats possible but it does have a suspension option in the service tab.

However, a fault still pops up at start up and watching the live data the gallery pressure is sitting at 299 then rises to around 1249 then drops down to 299 again and gives me the fault so im thinking this is the direction i have to look, does this sound right?

Post #232647313th Feb 2023 10:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >