United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well technically, I'm his customer...... Whistle Whistle Whistle Laughing

Hope the rain stops soon & then we can all know where the routing is. Smile
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3284994th Aug 2008 12:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Ken wrote:

U do however know it all downhill from here Whistle

I am resigned to my fate Laughing

Now where did I put that inverter I was thinking about mounting...
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3285024th Aug 2008 12:21 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Paul,

I'm currently looking at the IBS dual-charging relay thingy...

How did you get on with it in the end?

Any opinions on the kit and it's operation/reliability?

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #45678320th Apr 2009 10:36 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Hi Paul,

Kit been in for a few months, seems to do what it says on the tin, I won't be draining the secondary battery in a big way until the camping season (bit cold here in UK still at the moment!) so I have not really stressed it. I never did take any pictures of the install, I will maybe do that later and throw them up so you can see.

Kit had everything needed, panel in the cab is useful for seeing what is happening, and easy to mount (I used two sided tape in the end), and the relay seemed ok.

I really like it as a solution, as you can have intelligent splitting that you can easily override, and if the smart bi fails you just earth out the relay to hardwire the batteries together.

Only downside is the price...

Paul

Post #45681220th Apr 2009 12:17 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

That's good news - thanks Paul.

I'm currently looking for prices here in Spain but how much did you pay? And do you think it's worth the extra?

If you have any pictures of the control panel mounted inside the D3 - that would be cool.

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #45684020th Apr 2009 1:34 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

I think I paid about £130-140 from memory, not cheap... but it does exactly what I want and I think I got a bit carried away at the time but it should last a few car swaps as well I hope...

EDIT: I have the BM3 not the newer microprocessor version, price seems to have gone up...

Post #45687820th Apr 2009 2:33 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

OK some pictures.

Control panel in position, I chose this location as the panel just pulls off with clips, and there is enough space with the squidgy material cover to get the cables behind without having to drill cut or chop anything. You can't see the controller while driving, but you do see the relfection at night sometimes in the side window, after some time with it fitted I still think its the easiest place to put it.

I used 35mm^2 cable to connect the primary battery to the relay, then the relay to the aux battery, this is just to give some future proofing in case I ever get the wife to agree that we need a winch Wink There is space to fit the relay next to the second battery, I unclipped the battery enclosure side (with some fiddling) so I could bolt the relay in and drill out the whole fo it, its a nice fit. I put the relay upside down as 35mm^2 cable is not the easiest to route, and this way it was easy to get a nice curve from main battery lead, and use other terminal for the second battery connection:

Battery in place, here you can just make out the blade fuse inline for the sense lead for the secondary battery, and I have a matching blade fuse on the main battery. Without these fuses the cables to the control unit have unfused live connections and I was not happy with that. Fuses are not included by IBS but they do mention on the website you can use a fuse each side if you are going through the bulkhead. Having once seen a direct short with no fuse in a friends car many years ago (while parked, nice smoke generator!), and even though I used conduit for the wiring job, I still went for the fuses. I am sure they add some voltage drop, but as its both sides it seems to be no problem. The orange cable is a maplin waterproof inline blade fuse holder has a 30A fuse (next to battery) before joining some 50A thinwall cable that runs behind the main center console and to 3x power sockets fused at 10A each (forgot to take picture of them)

Hope that helps. I am really happy with it, and prefer the solution it provides, but I would not pay any more than I did for it, and the new model seems to be priced too high in my view.

(quick edit for typo, thingwall cable not an industry standard like thinwall cable is!)

Post #45967727th Apr 2009 7:16 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice write up Paul, (took your time though Laughing Laughing ) Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #45968127th Apr 2009 7:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Like British rail me Bodsy, get there in the end, but don't hold your breath Wink Laughing

I have the sockets in and everything, as the first two months were spent with a split charge with no outlets from the second battery! Now the weather is better I am going to repair my jump leads (broken clip one end) and fit a 175A Anderson to the empty terminal post you can see on the positive for jump starting stuff.

Post #45976027th Apr 2009 10:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >