Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Annoying members
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Fair response Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #42553420th Feb 2009 11:55 am
Snowy

England 

Ron, in my opinion, it's not really the Off Topic Section that is the problem, it's the genuine D3 related threads that some people think they have to post in, with out having knowledge or experience. Every now and then Whistle I'll post drivel and off topic rubbish, but some seem to do it constantly.
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet. 

Last edited by Snowy on 20th Feb 2009 12:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #42553820th Feb 2009 11:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

i thought half the fun of owning a land rover was wading through mud?? Whistle online or otherwise...

Post #42554120th Feb 2009 11:59 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

At the risk of annoying everyone, No-one or just one person, is Miss Marple really DG in disguise?? Discuss. Wink Whistle

Post #42554220th Feb 2009 11:59 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

CW, Snowy ... I missed the point and agree.

Thumbs Up

Post #42554520th Feb 2009 12:01 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I'm subscribed to a few forums that have anal mods and everything has to be on topic . I've found that you might as well go read a manual instead of asking a question because no one wants to voice an opinion .

The fact that the membership here is growing almost daily must mean that the current formula is working .

So well done mods Bow down

Post #42554820th Feb 2009 12:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Another happy member Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=425543#425543

Post #42555020th Feb 2009 12:05 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you get frustrated or think an OT post should be removed, then just click on the triangle in the corner & a Mod will check it out. OK, so we know what impact it can have on an overworked mod, but that's the way to go my friends.......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #42558120th Feb 2009 12:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DSL wrote:
At the risk of annoying everyone, No-one or just one person, is Miss Marple really DG in disguise?? Discuss. Wink Whistle

I would think of a far more appropriate name than Miss Marple Del Rolling Eyes

Anyway she, he, it does have a point...to a point. As someone that's posted 95% drivel in my time I really can understand the sentiments of some. Since becoming a mod though it really does open your eyes...and I'm not whining at all here but I don't think anyone can conceive of the amount of work that goes on in the background by the mod team to keep the site relatively tidy and comprehensible.

There is a social aspect of course...and a fantastic one at that ...but IMO some really need to recognise when they are becoming a bit more than a pain in the ass to others. We don't have to all like each other but we should try to get along, accept others have a point of view and have the balls to accept that sometimes we need to wind our neck in a bit. Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #42558620th Feb 2009 12:38 pm
741hcr

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

If there are now more active people on the forum and the post rate is increasing (which I assume it is), doesn't that suggest that the majority are very happy with how the forum works? It does to me. You can encourage people to stay more on topic but auditing every post to that degree would become an admin nightmare. I agree that you sometimes have to wade through loads to find what you want, but the info is there and I am just pleased to have a forum where such info is readily and freely available. If you try to make it too clinical I think you risk overkilling the banter which would reduce site activity and effectively suffocate the forum. You need to tread very carefully if you want to change a growing forum.

Post #42558720th Feb 2009 12:38 pm
Snowy

England 

741hcr wrote:
You need to tread very carefully if you want to change a growing forum.

Who said anything about changing the forum?
IMO, the forum doesn't need to change at all, just some of the members need to change their ways Thumbs Up
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #42559220th Feb 2009 12:46 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Sounds to me though that both CatWeasel and DG have a point...

Posting non-sense may be fun, but only ONCE in a while and on subjects that clearly deserve it whether they are on an Off-topic zone or because the initial poster clearly intended it so...

Otherwise, it is just drivel or, to be more polite, noise... And as we all know the noise to signal ratio is an important feature of anything a little bit technical. When one overcomes the other, the overall usefulness of the process is going down the drain...

For me the noise far exceeds the signal as it is right now... And it seems that I am not the only one...

Thus, I would like to say that everyone should try to lower its noise to signal quantity of posts. Now, I understand that everyone need to relax or unwind at the end of the day, but please do it where its appropriate. And no, the first few postings of a newbie are not an acceptable place to rant, disperse, unwind, slag or whatever else.

We've all been newbies and we should most certainly not let the mods do the work ! As far as I know they do it for free and because they've been around for quite a while. Counting on them to tidy up after one has been "throwing up" is, for me, insulting at worst or a complete lack of manners.

And yes, you are not dreaming, this rant (Mine...) comes from the other side of the Channel where we are supposed, nay, known for being rude and uncaring ! Very Happy Now, frag away you lots... I have my flak jacket and I am sitting tight in my bunker... Whistle
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #42560120th Feb 2009 1:04 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Name , names !!

As a thread like this can only stir up bad feeling towards other members and snowball with each added comment.

I'm not sure who Marple is, but on a realatively low post count and one who appears in threads to pass a funny comment, suddenly turning into a nasty old lady.... Rolling Eyes

Humour has it's place as well as respect for peoples threads in this forum. The mods have a thankless task, but until the 'offenders' are approached and asked to moderate their own posting behaviour nothing will change.

A 'blanket all' posting to all members is not what is needed. If someone feels so angered by anothers posting on a public forum please address it.

Post #42560420th Feb 2009 1:10 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DG Thumbs Up

Post #42560520th Feb 2009 1:15 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Maybe people get 'off topic' easily, especially those you live/ spend every waking hour on the site because the same questions come up time and time again...
dont get me wrong, I joined the site in 2007 and at that stage the questions I had were probably years old and been done a thousand times but the patience of members helped me out no end for which I am very thankful Thumbs Up
Perhaps these members you speak of should remember that we were all newbies once apon a time and to have patience and help out new members where we can. Perhaps promote the wiki page abit more and get new members answers as quick as possible?

As for more established members having threads hijacked, I think the mods have a tough task but do a great job........especially since DG mellowed out in his old age Wink

BUT I do love an off the cuff smart Censored remark that some people have perfected no matter what section its in as it can cheer you up for a moment in what is an otherwise depressing badnews world we live in

.....i'll get my coat and noose
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #42561320th Feb 2009 1:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >