Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Grrrr... what do you suggest?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
What shall I do with THESE?
Suffer the inconvenience and use them as the council intended, for collecting cardboard and bottles?
50%
 50%  [15]
Suffer the inconvenience and use them for my own purposes, such as brewing beer?
10%
 10%  [3]
Take them to the local tip and dump them in the plastics bin?
6%
 6%  [2]
Sell them on ebay?
6%
 6%  [2]
Destroy them in a comedy schoolboy manner (fire, explosion etc)
26%
 26%  [8]
Total Votes: 30

crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

The cost of refuse collection part of my council tax has gone up since they reduced the collections to once a FORTNIGHT. I now have to drive a round trip of nearly 3 miles to take glass to the recycling centre because it's better for the environment!!! (They used to collect it for everyone, but since they got their new shiny diesel trucks they can't) There's no joined up thinking going on with this.

Evil or Very Mad
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #5158885th Sep 2009 5:08 pm
SN

rainbiow recycling centre is what my back garden looks like

now have two 'proper' black bins
a green wheelie bin - which to be fair is good for grass cuttings and the like
black box & white sack - previously provided by council and now surplus to requirements Rolling Eyes

plus the blue/brown twins

still wondering whether its worth binning the whole lot and doing a weekly run myself to the tip Rolling Eyes

and remember I still can't get under the tip barrier because GMWDA is trying to keep builders and pikeys out Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5158985th Sep 2009 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

We have had a MRF (Materials Recycling Facility) open just down the road from us. It takes all the recycled waste from the county despite being just about as far south as you can go, it has lorries carrying it all in and then out again, the paper going to China at the moment. It employs just 16 people. I don't see how it can be saving anything emissions wise or economically but you aren't allowed to criticize it because it is an eco project Twisted Evil
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #5159065th Sep 2009 5:30 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Steve
I think they are actually OK - when the black (normal) waste arrives - at least will stop foxes ect tearing the bags apart (always a great start to the week on Monday morning - picking up crap) - had one for years when I lived in Chorlton
Recycling 'station' - yes. some tool in the council has put a stupid restriction on - I go to Higher Poynton - near Middlewood way Thumbs Up

Post #5159135th Sep 2009 5:42 pm
SN

aha - I remember Gareth mentioning the Higher Poynton facility now - must give that a try Thumbs Up
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5159155th Sep 2009 5:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Can't you 'recycle' the unneeded ones by cutting them up and putting in the 'plastics' bin?

Post #5159225th Sep 2009 6:08 pm
MARKW

United Kingdom 

When I lived in Kent we had the same problem. Black bin and a brown bin. And a small blue box. Anything else had to go to the tip. Shame really as it's a 2 mile round trip. BUT my 90 and my Puma at the time wouldn't fit under the entry barrier. And you can't park outside and walk your rubbish in as there is no marked out footway. So people ended up dumping it in the entrance. Me I just took it into work and used the skips there. Not ideal but a workable solution.
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #5159285th Sep 2009 6:14 pm
SN

10forcash wrote:
Can't you 'recycle' the unneeded ones by cutting them up and putting in the 'plastics' bin?
I think thats the same as Item 3 on the Voting list Thumbs Up Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5159435th Sep 2009 6:31 pm
London Lad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Years ago you used to pay 'rates' and all your rubbish was collected every week, from your back door. Then it was sorted, and metal, plastics and paper were extracted and sold off and it wasn't talked about much.

Now you pay 'community charge' or some such, which costs twice as much as the old rates and YOU are expected to grovel around in your own rubbish sorting it and sometimes even transporting it so that the metal, plastics and paper can be sold off. Then the council talks about it non stop and says how green they are. Progress?, Green? nah, just another con job...
You should never argue with idiots because they will just drag you down to their level....then beat you with experience ! 

Post #5159445th Sep 2009 6:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

SN wrote:
10forcash wrote:
I think thats the same as Item 3 on the Voting list Thumbs Up
No.3 would cost YOU fuel Wink  
Post #5159475th Sep 2009 6:34 pm
SN

Laughing and that would be environmentally unfriendly too
Post #5159535th Sep 2009 6:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They are not so bad Steve. I, like you was very sceptical at first. But having used them for a few weeks now we fing that it takes no time to sort out rubbish, and we can now restrict our bagged rubbish to one bag per week, thats for a family of five.

The bins are large enough to easily keep 2 weeks worth of bottles and tins in one, and newspapers and cardboard in the other.

It is amazing how much packaging we have to throw away, the blue bin is ideal for it instead of cramming it into a bin bag which would invariably split and dump its contents all over the pavement.

Then again, I am lucky enough to have the space to keep them.

Post #5159635th Sep 2009 7:03 pm
Jads777

Guernsey 

I'm speechless.

If this carries on you'll have Pepijn and Dubsky joining the forum!!! Rolling with laughter

Post #5161215th Sep 2009 11:14 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

we take ALL the packaging that we think can be re used back to the supermarket,,, ie strawberry punnets etc.,

ask for the manager and hand it to them saying these are washed and ready to be re used, they accept them with a gormless look that has to be seen to be believed.\ we do it with the ecover product bottle
s too, they claim to be green..... Whistle

and i'd kill for recycling bins that big, ours are tiny and i have to kart them up a 1/4 mile track every 2 weeks, it's a pain in a ass...
 one wife.......livid  
Post #5161736th Sep 2009 12:51 am
SN

to top it off I've now seen the collection schedule ... ready for this?

Week 1 Wednesday - Blue Bin
Week 1 Thurday - Black and Pale Blue Bin Bags from "Real" Black Bins
Week 2 Wednesday - Brown Bin
Week 2 Thursday - Green Bin
Week 2 Thursday - Black and Pale Blue Bin Bags from "Real" Black Bins

And woe betide you put a bin out too early or too late - not only will they not collect, you might get a fine Rolling Eyes

Whos paying who to deliver a service to who here? Evil or Very Mad

Unfortunately SWMBO is keen to give it a try and its also not helping that we live next door to Eco-Family-Robinson who have been religiously recycling everything except used bogpaper for ages Sad
Post #5163896th Sep 2009 7:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >