Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

First Year of Ownership... Thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I take it all of the +ve and -ve battery connections have been checked, mine cut out and was traced to the -ve on the inner wing.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #1552048th May 2007 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hightry

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Update

Would I buy another? NEVER! wish I'd bought an XC90 First and last exparience of LR and their products and they can keep 'em. Worst decision I ever made.[/quote]

Thumbs Up If you don't need the off-road ability then couldn't agree more. I am seriously thinking of cancelling my order and going for an XC90 due to a number of factors not just reading your post.

Post #1552198th May 2007 6:36 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

With all sincerity, if you've got to that point in your mind ...then cancel now before it's too late. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1552298th May 2007 7:00 pm
AndyJWB

United Kingdom 

I'm actually quite shocked that some people would seriously consider an XC90 over a D3 Shocked

The D3 is better at just about everything!
 Not a D3 owner Sad  
Post #1552658th May 2007 8:18 pm
Chumbucket2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi,

I'm new to the site and own a D3 Tonga green with alpaca..sorry no silver in this house!! I'm concerned about the post by Fozzy as my D3 has some of these problems...... mainly poor tyre wear in first 12 month and dreadful pulling to the left when breaking or just driving along the car wanders!! I've had a full G4 kit fitted and the dealer says the extra kit is the problem.......or is there a known fault with bad tracking and pulling to the left that I should know about? My dealer is great about upgrades etc and service is generally OK...G4 Mod was done to very high quality and no probs......

Shaun

Post #1554349th May 2007 9:59 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The Extra kit shouldn't make a difference to the tyre wear. Just ask AndrewS who has two fully loaded.

A TSB is applicable regardless of the extra kit. Someone with the real knowledge should be along soon to provide specifics I'm sure.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1554379th May 2007 10:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hightry

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
With all sincerity, if you've got to that point in your mind ...then cancel now before it's too late. Wink

Thanks DG - the prompt was a call to action - all sorted Thumbs Up

Post #1554419th May 2007 10:38 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Without knowing the level of communication between Fozzy and his dealer it's difficult for us to make precise judgements...however if it had been me then those problems just wouldn't continue to exist...period !

I think that people have to be more assertive in getting these problems resolved. Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1554429th May 2007 10:47 am
Chumbucket2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Cheers for that Bodsy.....

Post #1554629th May 2007 12:40 pm
Fozzy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

A few answers to some of the points raised:

Q1. AndrewS asked "I posted in November - Why no update?
Well, things got "legal". I didn't want to predjudice my case until safe to do so.

Q2. AndrewS aslo said "If you'd have asked advice on here, you would have been given the fault codes and you could have walked into your dealer and thrown it at them. Most of us have had similar problems and had them all fixed under warranty."
Three points here...
a. If I say the car doesn't drive in a straight line and the door doesn't open, what fault codes do I need to give them? THEY are supposed to be the experts and if they are aware of problems they should bl*&dy well fix them. I suppose the next logical step would be to bring my own spanners along to fix the problems too (I already have had too!)
b. From reading the posts on this site, I get the feeling there is a cult following among LR owners and a few problems are to be expected and you should put up with them. Not me. This is just another car as far as I am concerned and if its broken then LR qand their dealers should be competent enough to fix things.
c. Oddly enough, my last but one letter from the dealer stated "We are not sure if the outstanding items are covered by the warranty" - this on an 18 month old car!!!

Q3. AndyJWB said "I'm actually quite shocked that some people would seriously consider an XC90 over a D3. The D3 is better at just about everything!
I would beg to differ..
Build quality?
Reliability?
Fuel Consumption?
Customer Service?

I suppose its down to what is most important to you I guess.

Q4. DG said "if it had been me then those problems just wouldn't continue to exist...period ! I think that people have to be more assertive in getting these problems resolved."

Well, I've never admitted to being perfect, so pray tell what more I could have done in addition to the following:
Phoned/Faxed/Emailed dealer continuously. Even had shouting matches with the dealer principal. Phoned/faxed LR customer service and Customer relations department. Written to Land Rover / Jaguar MD Mr. Phillip Popham. Engaged a solicitor to try and get some reaction and response from LR & dealer. Got What Car Press office? to pursue LR for a comment as to why nothing has been done?

I would like to know exactly how more assertive I could have been and what you would have done to make these problems vanish?

Under the data protection act, I demanded to see the full case history for my car. It made VERY intersting reading. My discussions with the dealer and what they said they had done bore NO RELATION to what actually took place. I was offered a new car in June 06 - yet nothing was actually done. The dealer did, in Nov 06 order a new vehicle, but LR blocked it. Up untill this time, I was still under the impression I was still geting a new car - no one told me until I spoke to LR customer service - 5 months later.

Before accepting my rejection of the vehicle the dealer originally requested to examine the car at one of their dealerships - which I agreed to. The car came back no fault found and promply cut out again after three weeks. When the legal procedings started, they denied aver having seen the car until I furnished them with proof in a copy of the work sheet from the dealers workshop. They then refused to accept rejection of the vehicle because it was to old and had high mileage. If they had done something about it when I first reported it, it wouldn't HAVE the high mileage and be the age it is now - this is a recurring excuse that is used against me - even though none of this is of my own making.

In January 07, I was offered a final settlement / solution. Buy a new car from us. This involved supplying a car at cost, with a Couple of grand goodwill from Landrover. Great?? Not quite. Firstly, this still meant I would have to sell the car privately which is a year older thanit was when the fun started. At todays prices, it would mean I still have to find £10K to get myself out of this mess which as I said is not my doing.

If - because I cannot afford the difference or on priciple I refuse to pay even more - I decline the offer, no other offer exists - not to replace the car like for like, no cash to buy another car - just to let me continue driving around in the piece of S#!t I am curently.

It's quite amazing how nasty supposedly reputable companies like LR and their dealers get when being persued to do something about their faulty products and the lengths they will go to to worm their way out and deny responsiblity. Lying is not uncommon.

Apart from lying about examining my car as mentioned above, I've had my driving style questioned, I've been deemed uncooperative because I didn't let them inspect the vehicle that I let them inspect for two weeks. I've been called unreasonable because after being advised not to drive the car as it is dangerous, I put my knackered old Peugeot 406 on the road and got it through an MOT. Therefore, I assume that LR deem it reasonable to drive a car that has been involved in 3 minor accidents two of which could have been fatal. Similarly I expect they think it also reasonable that they have done F&"K ALL about resolving the problems with my car.

If I did sell it, some other mug would buy it in good faith like I did. I'm tempted to set up my own web site with all the dealings - it is quite a tale! I should also publish my Reg no to warn secondhand buyers - except I'd never sell it if I did.

Lessons learned and warnings:

1. At the first sign of a problem, however minor - REJECT THE VEHICLE IN WRITING. Don't be fobbed off, don't give the dealer an opportunity to repair - REJECT IT. Then, after you have rejected it, negotiate on how to proceed in a manner that suits YOU. The law regarding this is vague and open to interpretation - trust me, I know. NEVER GIVE THEM AN EXCUSE TO USE THE LAW AGAINST YOU - THE CONSUMER

2. When buying second hand, INSIST on seeing a record of the car's history - NOT UST THE SERVICE history. Service history only shows when it was serviced, not all the problems its had.

3. If you take your car in for any work - GET A COPY OF WHAT YOU ASKED TO BE DONE vs WHAT WAS ACTUALLY DONE. Dealers have a habit of recording what they did do, not what they didn't & therefore you can never prove what you asked to be done. GET A COPY OF THE WORKSHOPS WORK CARD FOR THE WORK DONE.

4. KEEP A RECORD AT ALL TIMES - things that break, servicing.. EVERYTHING. Even if you haven't had a problem yet - keep a full log so you can refer to it if things do happen - note point 3.

5. At the first sign of any problem, TAKE THE CAR IN - don't wait, don't hang on till the next service. If its inconvenient, GET THEM TO GIVE YOU A COURTESY CAR. Things happen much quicker if they are paying for a hire car!

Based on my experience - which I hope is an isolated case - you decide if you want to buy from Land Rover. Personally, I'd rather walk then drive anything made by them ever again after the way they have treated me.

P.S. - I live in a remote farming area af Wales - none of the local farmers drive LandRovers.... All drive Toyotas or Mitsubishi... What do they know thay we don't??

Post #1554819th May 2007 1:18 pm
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Ha, well correct me if I am wrong but you cannot sell that car legally without declaring all its known faults. Otherwise the buyer can come back to you through the legal system. Having declared them all here, they are pretty well published anyway but the buyer needs to be made aware.

I think the law was changed last year to include private car sales to protect jo public from being ripped off when they buy second hand cars.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #1554859th May 2007 1:28 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Fozzy wrote:

Q4. DG said "if it had been me then those problems just wouldn't continue to exist...period ! I think that people have to be more assertive in getting these problems resolved."

Well, I've never admitted to being perfect, so pray tell what more I could have done in addition to the following:
Phoned/Faxed/Emailed dealer continuously. Even had shouting matches with the dealer principal. Phoned/faxed LR customer service and Customer relations department. Written to Land Rover / Jaguar MD Mr. Phillip Popham. Engaged a solicitor to try and get some reaction and response from LR & dealer. Got What Car Press office? to pursue LR for a comment as to why nothing has been done?

I would like to know exactly how more assertive I could have been and what you would have done to make these problems vanish?

Well...I can't answer that for you I'm afraid.... but I rarely end up not getting the right result for me regardless of the situation. That usually involves a combination of being very nice, being very angry, being well informed and acting as thick as Censored . The critical point of those combinations is timing.

You're not the only one to have had problems with the D3 ....why should this particular dealer treat YOU in this way ...is there something you aren't telling us??
Post #1555099th May 2007 2:05 pm
baart

Poland 2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackLR4

I wanted to order V8 HSE my2008 this week - but now I have to think it over
 | Il boit pour oublier qu'il vit
Il dort pour oublier qu'il boit
C'est un bien triste
Un bien triste sort |

Post #1555169th May 2007 2:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You won't have any problems with an '08 or '07 ...and 99% of '06 '05 '04 problems are resolved too Wink
Post #1555199th May 2007 2:25 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

FFS I was only trying to help. You ain't the only one thats had problems, Ive had Censored loads of problems and had them all fixed. Hope you enjoy your new car what ever it may be.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1555269th May 2007 2:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >