Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Overland Preparation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
ralphhardwick

England 

Just looked at the rhino bars but they only seem ti 'sit' on the rear part of the roof. I would have preferred something with spreads the load a bit more.
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #81944221st Jul 2011 5:30 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

You will need a rack rather than bars anyway to get extra stuff up their jerry cans etc Thumbs Up I sopose you already have a fridge? Btw goodyear MTR's arn't available for the D3 in 17 inch. Theirs lots of options for underbody protection also. Sorry i can't be more specific but if i went into detail about tyres and all the other things the post would be like War and piece Embarassed . Anyway their will be loads of differing opinions. If you got some spare time one eve get yerself a few beers and search on here you will find out all you need to know know Thumbs Up EDIT= look here for spare wheel carrier. hope you got a very very deep pocket because although D3 is 7 year old parts are still a rip off unlike the D2 http://www.bigcountry4x4.com/Products.aspx...ehicleID=6 EDIT2= Member RLD (uncle Ray) on here makes Rock sliders and sump plates. Theirs another company were ful underbody kit can be had but becuse of forum policy i'm not allowed to mention them EDIT3 = i have read about Cooper ATR tyres on 17 inch rims being good in sand,they can be let down a lot also Thumbs Up Ps told you it would turn into War and Piece lol. Keep looking for replies theirs members with lots of expirience on here whom i'm sure will be posting later

Post #81945321st Jul 2011 6:12 pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Disco duck wrote:
You will need a rack rather than bars anyway to get extra stuff up their

Won`t be any rack showing with the type of tent he is using. Speak to Chris at Boab as they do a bar for the front of the roof that has longer legs Thumbs Up

Here is a pic of mine with Columbus Roof Tent and it completely covers the Patriot rack.
Click image to enlarge
 I can resist everything except TEMPTATION
Can Am Commander 1000XT
Seen the light and bought a 4Motion T5 

Post #81945621st Jul 2011 6:26 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Look here for a great price on roof rack http://www.tamar4x4store.co.uk/index.php?a...ductId=715 Ps i won't post anymore Ralph as you will find out members will all have differing opinions Whistle EDIT= sorry sonic i didn't take notice of Tent and wouldn't have know the size anyway Thumbs Up

Post #81945821st Jul 2011 6:32 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

Disco duck wrote:
You will need a rack rather than bars anyway to get extra stuff up their jerry cans etc Thumbs Up

No jerry cans on the roof it will be tent, awning and the lightest rack option possible. I may stretch to some spotlights but other than that nothing. I want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Disco duck wrote:
I sopose you already have a fridge?

Have an Engel MT45 which I will probably transfer from the disco1.

Disco duck wrote:
Btw goodyear MTR's arn't available for the D3 in 17 inch.

Ouch, didn't know that. I'm not averse to larger wheels just thought 17" was best Crying or Very sad

Disco duck wrote:
Theirs lots of options for underbody protection also. Sorry i can't be more specific but if i went into detail about tyres and all the other things the post would be like War and piece Embarassed . Anyway their will be loads of differing opinions.

Good, opinions is what I'm after. I love learning from other peoples mistakes. Wink

Disco duck wrote:
If you got some spare time one eve get yerself a few beers and search on here you will find out all you need to know know Thumbs Up

I have done that and didn't find as much as you think. Plus I thought this could be a good consolidation thread for others in the future Smile

Disco duck wrote:
EDIT= look here for spare wheel carrier. hope you got a very very deep pocket because although D3 is 7 year old parts are still a rip off unlike the D2 http://www.bigcountry4x4.com/Products.aspx...ehicleID=6

Thanks for the link but it doesn't giave any prices and I was hoping to find UK based suppliers. I'm not saying that money is no object but I'm prepared to pay what's necessary.

Disco duck wrote:
EDIT2= Member RLD (uncle Ray) on here makes Rock sliders and sump plates. Theirs another company were ful underbody kit can be had but becuse of forum policy i'm not allowed to mention them

Confused

Disco duck wrote:
EDIT3 = i have read about Cooper ATR tyres on 17 inch rims being good in sand,they can be let down a lot also Thumbs Up

I understood that only BFG ATs and Goodyear MTRs were 'approved' by LR for the D3

Disco duck wrote:
Ps told you it would turn into War and Piece lol. Keep looking for replies theirs members with lots of expirience on here whom i'm sure will be posting later

Just what I'm looking for Very Happy
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #81946521st Jul 2011 6:58 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

Sonic3d wrote:
Disco duck wrote:
You will need a rack rather than bars anyway to get extra stuff up their

Won`t be any rack showing with the type of tent he is using. Speak to Chris at Boab as they do a bar for the front of the roof that has longer legs Thumbs Up

Here is a pic of mine with Columbus Roof Tent and it completely covers the Patriot rack.

Thanks I will have a look at BOAB. What do you think of the Patriot rack?
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #81946621st Jul 2011 7:05 pm
geoff.

England 

Ralph

after reading your blog i,ve got to say your a better man then me i would have given up after the first problem,
fair play to ya mate, hope you have better luck in a D3 Thumbs Up

geoff

Post #81947921st Jul 2011 8:00 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

Geoff
Thanks for that. At the time we felt like we were going through hell but in hindsight it taught us a lot:
1. Don't believe all the bad things you read about a country or it's people, believe some of the good things too.
2. Be thankful for where you are and not sad for where you could be. We drove past Marrakesh twice without stopping. Many people pay good money to go and spend a holiday there only.
3. Be prepared to change your expectations. All we cared about was catching the group when we could have had a great holiday on our own.
4. Regardless of group size, be totally self sufficient unless you agree to stay together regardless.
5. Leaving your husband with an unreliable car, 1600 miles from home, in a foreign country, whilst you fly home is not grounds for divorce (so I have been told Rolling Eyes )

We set out to go to Tunisia with a completely different mindset and we enjoyed ourselves much more.

We will have the same attitude next year
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #81948221st Jul 2011 8:12 pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Personally I would only ever have Patriot racks, had them on my last 3 Defenders and now on the D3.
They are heavier than others but the quality and strength is second to none Thumbs Up
 I can resist everything except TEMPTATION
Can Am Commander 1000XT
Seen the light and bought a 4Motion T5 

Post #81957621st Jul 2011 11:15 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Please do not confuse the Rhino Rack bars from Australia with the UK makers of Rhino bars.

The legs/feet required depends if you have factory fitted tracks fitted or not. I believe recommended bar length for D3 is 1350 mm rather then 1500 for Defenders. This may limit choice of roof tents. (I do not have the Rhino bible to hand at the moment to check fitting/bar combinations)

Patriot racks are heavy and expensive, yes I have heard of people experiencing problems with Patriot racks. Have also heard of people having problems with other makes of racks.

If all you need on the roof is roof tent/awning then 2 preferably 3 roof bars is lighter and cheaper then any rack.

Hth

Brendan

Ps Boab are currently out of The Australian Rhino Rack bars, although I understand other plans are afoot!

Post #82013423rd Jul 2011 9:44 pm
reggwensie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As a user of a columbus tent, I'd advise on 3 bars rather than a rack. It's lighter, just as strong and the tent will cover the entire rack anyway.

Also, aim to go light, looks like you took the kitchen sink to Morocco (as we did on our first trip). Less strain on the car in the rough stuff.
 Fraser  
Post #82068826th Jul 2011 1:20 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

Thanks for all the comments guys.

reggwensie, yes you're right we did take too much to Morocco and we were smarter for Tunisia. The next trip (Morocco Take 2) will be even more streamlined. In some ways we are a bit constrained by the original concepts/designs I built into the Disco 1.
The Disco 3 will allow me to start with a 'clean sheet' but with hindsight of what worked/didn't work and what was used/not used.

Taking on board all the comments I have now decided that we will definately go for roofbars over a roofrack and the Rhino Rack Bars seem to be the best bet as they have various fittings for awnings etc.

This will help keep the roof load as low as practicable.

So the next question is; what is the best base vehicle to go for? HSE, SE, Commercial, Coil sprung, etc. etc.

As I said my budget will be £15k max.
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #82070826th Jul 2011 2:09 pm
fmb123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

look at devon 4x4 for underbody protection. i have their sump guard (you can see it in my album) and i am extremely happy with it, they also do transmission and wishbone protectors.

Post #82073226th Jul 2011 3:30 pm
fmb123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

also for 17" rims, you can fit 245/75 r 17 bfgoodrich mudterrain. i have these and am very happy with them.

Post #82073426th Jul 2011 3:32 pm
ralphhardwick

England 

fmb123, thanks for the info I will check out the Devon 4x4 site.

WTR tyres I have decided to stick with Goodyear wrangler MTRs because they have done so well on the disco 1. I now know that these require 19" wheels but I intend to carry 2 spares and a repair kit so should be okay-ish.
 Discovery 300Tdi
www.overland-rovers.com 

Post #82073926th Jul 2011 3:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >