Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Optimum speed for best mpg
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

CMG wrote:
In all seriousness, on my gasser (which I suspect might run on a higher RPM range) it seems that if I can keep it at 3k, and about 70-75 MPG, it's good. Which is the safest speed too for here....

70=75 MPG Shocked I'm sure the whole forum would like to know how you get economy like that Rolling with laughter
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #82711119th Aug 2011 8:19 am
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

It isn't just a function of engine speed though. No doubt someone who knows about aerodynamics can explain but resistance goes up exponentially at speed. I did a whole journey down the M1 at 50 in traffic and the mpg was substantially better than at 70.
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #82711319th Aug 2011 8:27 am
nickmak

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

ZacSmith wrote:
It isn't just a function of engine speed though. No doubt someone who knows about aerodynamics can explain but resistance goes up exponentially at speed. I did a whole journey down the M1 at 50 in traffic and the mpg was substantially better than at 70.

The vehicle's total resistance has three basic components - rolling resistance, aerodynamic drag and grading resistance. The resistance that is most affected by speed is the aerodynamic resistance as the drag is related to the square of the speed. That is where you get that exponential looking curve.

Worst case is when you're driving a 3 ton D3 with barn door aerodynamics up a steep hill attempting to maintain a high constant speed. Obviously. Whistle
 Visit my car detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com  
Post #82712119th Aug 2011 9:14 am
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The terrain has an impact to the figures. Yesterday on my drive from Poole to Edinburgh I reset the trip computer on the M40 and from there until around Preston I was showing as having averaged 30.9 mpg. Once I started climbing and dropping through the lake district on the M6 and hills of southern Scotland on the M74 the avaerage dropped to 29.2 mpg.

This was achieved while sitting at a cruise controlled 80 mph in a a car heavily loaded with a towbar mounted bike rack with 3 bikes on it. Just before turning off on to the A702 the average speed showed 77.4 mph. Wink Wink

Even when I arrived at my in-laws in Gifford the average was still above 70 mph and I had covered a lot of single carriageway roads.

Post #82712219th Aug 2011 9:16 am
hughes_jh

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Don't forget to factor in road conditions....

I agree that just below 70 is ideal on a flat straight road, but for the best mpg don't just set your cruise control to this speed constantly.

You need to allow the car to slow down a little when you hit a hill.... I'd suggest something like trying to lose 10mph consistently so you hit the crest of the hill at just below 60mph. Then of course you build that speed back up on the way downhill, if you're careful you can build this speed back up for "free" and still increase your average mpg. Better still, (on a closed road under controlled conditions....) you will be hitting the next bit of flat road at about 80mph giving you a bit of a chance to allow the speed to slowly average out to the optimum 67/68mph

but all of this is just my opinion Thumbs Up

Post #82712419th Aug 2011 9:29 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Seem to remember TG did a London to Edinburgh run on one tank.Think it was Audi A8 4.0tdi if I remember rightly....only way they could do it was by not using the cruise control,the radio or the heating/aircon for the whole journey.....also kept a close eye on average speed ....
There are lots of factors in extracting maximum mpg
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #82712519th Aug 2011 9:35 am
Hobgoblin

Location: As always, in the sh*t, it's only the depth that varies

Spain 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

euangibson wrote:
Seem to remember TG did a London to Edinburgh and back run on one tank.
 I'm not as good as I once was........but I'm as good once as I ever was.  
Post #82712719th Aug 2011 9:42 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
slow but thrifty

aerodynamic drag is the real mpg killer

taken from post

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic63455-15.html

command shift use

Hi

here a mpg tip

at 66km/hr (you can do the conversion must be around 41mph) turn on the cruise control (cc)
then use the command shift (will not kick down when in cc) you can get it in 6th gear
then sit back and enjoy 50+mpg even on small inclines

this can really bump up your average mpg

Yes it's silly slow but the object was max mpg
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #82712819th Aug 2011 9:46 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

. . . and coasting back downhill makes a big difference.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #82714519th Aug 2011 11:33 am
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Albourneboy wrote:
CMG wrote:
In all seriousness, on my gasser (which I suspect might run on a higher RPM range) it seems that if I can keep it at 3k, and about 70-75 MPG, it's good. Which is the safest speed too for here....

70=75 MPG Shocked I'm sure the whole forum would like to know how you get economy like that Rolling with laughter

Haha, that was a late night post.... Laughing
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #82718519th Aug 2011 2:42 pm
albal

United Kingdom 

Personally I find I can hit 30+ following the trucks down the motorway. However, not following trucks at a constant speed drops to the mid 10's but I've done as low as this (sorry for the fuzzy image it's hard to hold the camera when you are on the run from the police):

Post #82720019th Aug 2011 4:04 pm
al cope

England 

I find mine improves once I take the tintent off the back Rolling with laughter

On the run home from Bracknell to Brum on tuesday, sat at 67/68 with (lying b'stard) trip comp showing 35. In reality that should be about 30/31, as mine always reads over 3mpg high.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #82723319th Aug 2011 6:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JDO330

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

What mileage do you get out of a full tank?

I've just done a run from Hertfordshire down to the Vendee in France, just over 550 miles on one tank and the fuel meter showing 32.4mpg. The vehicle was 4 up and loaded but no bikes on the roof etc. When we arrived at our destination the range was telling me I had zero fuel left, this journey was done at a constant 70mph (as best I could) in manual mode 6th gear and no cruise. I adopted the speed up down hill and roll up the other side routine rather than flooring it.

On the return journey, I pushed a bit harder and was travelling at anything from 70 to 90 mph, again in 6th gear and no cruise. This cost me about 60 miles on the range, mpg dropped to 30.4 on the computer thingy.

Regards, Jon.

Post #82727419th Aug 2011 9:32 pm
abernanteagle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Along similar lines, anyone know how low will the range go before spluttering starts? My old Touran would splutter with 20 miles showing - dare not go below that with any car now.
 Dec 04 TDV6 HSE in Tonga green with Alpaca interior.  
Post #82817923rd Aug 2011 2:23 pm
al cope

England 

I've been about 10 miles negative (past 0) and its still been OK. put about 77 litres in, and if I recall its an 80 litre tank.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #82818323rd Aug 2011 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >