Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Snow driving tips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
aman822311

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Snow driving tips

This will be my first winter with the Disco 4 having been frustrated with my rear wheel drive BMW last winter.

Just how good is this disco in the white stuff and do people have any tips for snow driving?

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Title updated

Post #8542842nd Nov 2011 2:28 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

it's great for gaining traction (use Snow Mode on the Terrain Response) but don't forget to take it easy as it'[s still 2.7tonnes that will stop no better than your BMW would have if you are not careful.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #8542872nd Nov 2011 2:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
choppa60

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Do a lre exp course , teaches you most of what you want to know , Thumbs Up
 2008 ,hse, it does what it says .  
Post #8542912nd Nov 2011 2:36 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
aman822311

....dependant on just what you wheels are sat on or in (slush, snow, ice, frozen slush) with care you will be able to more than move your vehicle.

you will get amazing traction even with the normal OEM 30% off road tyres......even if they are worn...the normal D postion on an auto bax copes very well with most conditions....

if you are in v.deep white stuff, or on an incline...the snow mode allows the vehicle to move off in 2nd (I believe)
If you gun the accelerator you can & will spin the wheels
...the method is to do everything slowly & gently - no harsh acceleration...no hard braking
This means you have to anticipate.....think ahead & plan...well before you have to stop - foot off the accelerator & allow car to slow & gently apply brakes..it is quite posible to lock all four wheels & sledge the car..if you really really want to

If you are on a down slope..let the car glide down in drive with foot off accelerator.....if you feel the car isnt being controlled try HD mode..I did this last year & year before down some really sily steep narrow roads ...with the confidence of control. Read the instruction for your D3's HDC mode..on HSE's you can vary the speed with steering wheel buttons.

The one thing I would do is when you get some snow where you are..make / take the time to get your car onto some flat / level road - with dry stone or brick walls at eac side & try things out for your self...
especially braking the car & get a feel for what it feels like in slippy conditions with less traction.
Far better practising this that having to negotiate things that will damage bodywork or other peoples cars..when in a rush or panic.
This gives you the confidence to cope in bad snowy conditions....you have to be assertive when using any 4WD vehicle as you can use the momentum of the vehicle to aid you.

Where I live currently I have seen numerous 4WD owners really make a mess of it by seemingly thinking "LR...4WD..I can go anywhere do anything" & coming unstuck literally big style..major damage to other cars & fortunatley no body hurt.

I gave my boss a lift into work last february in really bad conditions..that is roads that I could easily drive on but the hazard was all the other stupid Censored doing weird & wacky things..way out of thier control zones.
I drove from his house (near the Emly Moor TV mast "accros the tops" on really narrow country roads..with total control...he bought a Freelander on the strength of what he saw.

One other tip is if you see people struggling in front of you let tham get out of harms way before you attempt to get past (let them get really stuck !)..then drive around giving them a wide berth

Experiment & practise before you really need to do......think about a LR experience day - well worth the knowledge you gain..or go to an off road club / day

all common sense stuff

I have found Disco II's & 3's just awesome in winter conditions
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #8543012nd Nov 2011 3:03 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
it's great for gaining traction (use Snow Mode on the Terrain Response) but don't forget to take it easy as it'[s still 2.7tonnes that will stop no better than your BMW would have if you are not careful.

Oh yes Rolling Eyes , I learnt that one with my TDi - Rudolph Nureyev had nothing on me, ballet dancing pirouettes with the best of 'em
Embarassed Embarassed

Post #8543312nd Nov 2011 4:56 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Re: aman822311

BLFarrar wrote:
If you are on a down slope..let the car glide down in drive with foot off accelerator.....if you feel the car isnt being controlled try HD mode.

I'd go with most of what you said but would lock it in 1st on the manual shift on a downward hill and if it's really steep, switch to low range for both descents or climbs Thumbs Up
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #8543472nd Nov 2011 5:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TC

United Kingdom 

..........and if you are in your BMW, just reverse - it turns it into a front wheel drive. Worked a treat for me, you do get some odd looks though Very Happy

I live at the end of a long lane with a reasonably shallow but steady incline. Mine was the only rear wheel drive moving either up or down the lane for the duration of the heavy snow, a string of abandoned Merc's and BMW's for well over two weeks. Once it turned to ice though I was scr**ed Rolling with laughter .

BMW and Audi seem to be doing a huge push on winter wheels and tyres this year which has to be a good thing - yes it's just revenue making but at least there maybe a few cars about with winter tyres on!

Post #8543552nd Nov 2011 6:04 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Slow and gentle with everything in the snow. I'd suggest using low range for most driving as you'll get better engine breaking and more than enough speed. GGS will reduce the throttle response and help to reduce the chance of wheel spin when moving off. If you're in a manual car then look to start in a higher gear than normal (auto will select a higher gear for you if you leave it in drive and GGS)

As Bodsy said it's still nearly 3 tons of metal that you've got to stop so try and think in advance, use your gears to slow you rather than your brakes. I'd suggest having HDC on when going up and down hill, if you have a failed hill climb (quite likely on snow) then stick it into reverse and feet off all the pedals, let the car drive back down the hill under control rather than sledging backwards.

The biggest issue in the snow is all the other idiots on the road that have no idea how to drive on it - especially down south.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #8543642nd Nov 2011 6:20 pm
alltnaha

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

CFB , grateful if you could explain a bit more.

I have had my manual D3 for almost 7 years and am happy in the snow , steeps etc but in mid Dec I get my D4 and then in a couple of days head up to Scotland for off roading and hopefully snow.

I have never had an auto before. Looking at the handbook do I shift it to S and use the paddles ? Will it stick in manual like that ? What else should I be aware of ?

Yours and anyone elses advice welcomed. I am not too concerned if I bog it up off road , but on road I do want to stay in control esp on the steep descents for the sake of those in my D4 and anywhere near it !

Thanks

John

Post #8544762nd Nov 2011 9:55 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I just find it best in sport mode give it full power and left foot braking opposite lock from time to time no worries Whistle

Post #8544872nd Nov 2011 10:14 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
I have never had an auto before. Looking at the handbook do I shift it to S and use the paddles ? Will it stick in manual like that ? What else should I be aware of ?

Yep, stick it into Sport and then use the paddles or the gear selector (whichever you have) and it will put the car into command shift. This will then attempt to keep the car in that gear. The car will change if the speed gets too fast or two slow for that gear, but in reality for driving down a hill you'll be fine.

Do be aware though that if you start in too high a gear and your speed is too fast you will not be able to change down. However a slow start in a low gear will see you right.

In extreme cases if you find your start to slide when going downhill in a gear you may need to accelerate so that the wheel catch up with the ground and you regain control, you might be going faster than you like but at least you'll be in control as opposed to sliding out of control down hill.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #8544932nd Nov 2011 10:21 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

What he said Thumbs Up
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #8545262nd Nov 2011 11:23 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Roll on the snow Whistle

Can't wait to go and play,but then reality kicks in-back to work Big Cry

Post #8545773rd Nov 2011 6:28 am
alltnaha

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks all, cannot wait to get the D4 .

Especially Mick , I will try his way first. What remains of me and the D4 will then try the other methods Thumbs Up

John

Post #8546193rd Nov 2011 10:40 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I found using the steering wheel +- to adjust hdc speed was not as effective (more like barely noticable) as just selecting a lower gear, however on a slippery slope slecting a lower gear is not too smooth and you may loose traction so a quick blip on the accelerator will regain control.

also in snow when coming up to a junction stop well before it then crawl up to the line. this will avoid any overshooting.

The D4 does like to oversteer a wee bit so go somewhere open to practice.
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #8549384th Nov 2011 3:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >