Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Turbochip on Tuesday!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I agree with your comments and I've looked at sourcing additional warranties to 'back up' the existsing LR warranty on a 'chipped car' BUT the UK insurance industry isnt interested for anything less that £500 per vehicle per annum. I wonder if customers would be willing to pay this? Sad

I know that Supechips offer a 'warranty' but if you read the 'small print' it is not actually a warranty but rather a 'self insure' document that means they will pay out for any failures that the manufacturers warranty will not as a result of their modifications. BUT they only pay out if a motor engineer appointed by them says they should. Not exactly full reassurance!

Post #1162425th Jan 2007 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chaz

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you end up in a position where the car has a major fault and you worried that the chip will void you warranty, why not unchip it before you take it in? The cost of re-chipping would be alot cheaper than any major repair work.

Post #1168805th Jan 2007 11:52 pm
retired

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

How do you 'unchip' it?

Post #1168886th Jan 2007 12:15 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Unless you had a crash or breakdown which meant you were towed in, no time to undo the re-map then!
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #1169626th Jan 2007 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chaz

To un-chip I would imagine you could upload the original map. At any time you breakdown just makesure you get towed home, not to the garage.

Post #1169656th Jan 2007 12:14 pm
retired

You need equipment to reload the orgiinal map. You also need the original map and the re-map to reapply it afterwards.

What this means in practice is that you have to get your supplier to reset your map and then re-apply the 'improved' map afterwards. Tthis will probabaly cost money!

Not very practical.

Post #1169896th Jan 2007 2:19 pm
LRtuning

I agree it's an inconvenience but only to companies that charge too little for the remap in the first place

Post #1170216th Jan 2007 5:00 pm
Chaz

I understand that it will cost money. But I would imagine it would be cheaper than being denied your new engine under warranty!

Post #1170496th Jan 2007 7:02 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have been driving "modded" vehicles for the past 17 years. Only got things wrong once when I had a Saab 9000 Aero, with the notoriously fragile Auto. box.(Saab detuned Auto. Aero's to compensate). I knew it was a potential problem, but it was a brilliant Q car. Stupidly, I couldn't resist the odd traffic light Grand Prix. As a result I trashed two boxes. My Saab dealer was happy to have replacements flown in from Sweden at c. £3,500. Good business for the dealer Wink
If you keep a close eye on your oil level, use good quality branded diesel & stick to the service schedule (actually, I change the oil/filter every 7.5k miles) you'll be fine with a re-map from those who sponsor this site.
I very much doubt if a main dealer would question a re-map.
Nice to hear what the dealers who contribute here have to say on this matter.

Post #1172417th Jan 2007 3:55 pm
COMMANDO

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
TURBO CHIPS

I think that the people who are thinking of chipping their Disco 3's have bought the wrong model.If you buy the V8 it will only cost about £790 per 10,000 miles extra for petrol(Land Rover figures)You won't have to worry about your insurance being invalid if you have a crash(which it will be if the insurers are on the ball), and you won't have to worry about the warranty.You will have a faster and quieter car which might even prove a bit cheaper to service.

Post #1174428th Jan 2007 10:57 am
retired

Fair point Commando.

Comparison between extra fuel cost over your ownership period and the cost of enhancement is the one to make. On average mileages over three years it looks like the equation is in chipping's favour.

If you were looking to buy new I would assume that V8s depreciate more rapidly than diesels so you might incur some exra costs there.

Could of course take advantage of the depreciation by buying second hand.

Post #1174528th Jan 2007 11:17 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've done 16.5k miles since April "06 & I got a good deal on my Turbochip re-map. But I agree, if you intend to do less than 5-6k mile p.a then maybe a used V8 would make sense.
Depreciation on V8 models is a big factor to overall running costs.
I recently posted my thoughts on the TDV6 (TC & ITG filter) v. V8 (standard) after a day of driving a V8.
I have to admit, that even if you took away all financial reasons (fuel costs etc.) it would still be a hard decision as to which I'd rather have. The extra torque of the re-mapped TDV6 really suits the D3.

Post #1175098th Jan 2007 2:13 pm
catweasel

Re: TURBO CHIPS

COMMANDO wrote:
You will have a faster and quieter car which might even prove a bit cheaper to service.
O.K. if you have p.u.l.p. everywhere and are not interested in travelling any real distance before a refuel.  
Post #1175218th Jan 2007 2:51 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I think youre missing the point with fuel economy and re-mapping
I had my D2 chipped and the driving experience with the extra torque transformed the vehicle and made driving much more relaxed especially in hilly country
BTW where are you Chris

Post #1177228th Jan 2007 11:12 pm
LRtuning

Norto,

I'll PM you :-0)

Post #1178039th Jan 2007 5:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >