Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Trolley Jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Big Cry I'm so confused now about jacking the Censored car!

I bought the trolley jack because the LR one scared me! and I need a good jack to be able to change all the wheels before going off-road. I also want to be able to put it up onto axle stands so ai can get underneath and clean out the cr*p that accumulates there.

Now, I've just searched this site and found that there seem to be conflicts as where and what the suspension should be set to (manual says off-road height) the car should be jacked - these are from various posts as follows:

"Land Rover recovery boys recommend that you jack the car up from the suspension pickup point so that the car doesn't go into extended mode"

"You don't need a 3 tonne jack a 1.5 tonne will do. Get a standard good quality jack and jack the vehicle up by placing the jack under the wishbones."

"I always use a piece of wood on top of the jack when jacking the chassis. Stops the paint getting damaged, and spreads the load. Don't use a piece of wood if you jack under a wishbone though, it can slip off there."

"Gents, interestingly this very topic was covered at the Rockingham off road centre. They suggested carrying a proper jack (which i cant see being very useful off road). My wife was horrified at the way jack and spigot need to fit in to the wishbone..."

"...jack on the wishbones, that will prevent the suspension 'error' due to the loading being maintained on the suspension, using the conventional method of jacking on the chassis rails will induce problems"

"I always raise it to off-road height before jacking, it says so in the book..."

"I think that the act of lifting on the wishbones, because of the multi-articulation of the suspension, is actually signalling to the control system that the suspension is frozen (read stuck); the result is that the system freezes at that height until it is reset."

"Of course, there are plenty of places that you place a trolley jack to lift the vehicle, but remember that air suspension vehicles are jacked from the chassis, not the suspension arms. Go and try it both ways, and watch what happens to the height sensor using both methods......."

"OK, we placed Slimers car on the ramp and lifted up the wheels via the wishbones and guess what we got a suspension error. I could not even see any movement in the wheels either, I am beaten on this one."

"Yesterday, I changed my front brake pads, and lifted it with a trolley jack under the centre-front cross member, and placed axle stands under the wishbones. I did raise it to off-road height first. When I had finished, it reported no errors or anything unusual. Just started her up, lowered to normal and drove away."

SO .... and excuse me for being ignorant, I don't have a CLUE what the wishbone jack places are (the only wishbone I know is in a chickens neck Embarassed ) and if this is the right place to use? What I want to do is to get TWO wheels off the ground at a time and do the work - safely (with axle stands)

Post #21715621st Oct 2007 9:35 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

TazDaz,
Excellent post Bow down
It is indeed a mass of conflicting info.
I'm planning to swap my wheels in the next couple of days. I'll try to take some pics of the various options.

One thing I am sure in my mind, is that a trolley jack, wherever it's used, is far better than the disgrace that LR issue with the car.

(not that I'm the least bit qualified to give any advice on the subject etc. etc.)

Dave
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #21716521st Oct 2007 10:00 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

if it's of any help, (which I'm sure it isn't) when I swap the fronts on mine;

I use a 3t Halfords trolley jack, without the saddle, on the subframe with one of the sump guard retaining bolts located in where the saddle would be... Whistle
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #21716921st Oct 2007 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Yes the jack supplied isn't really suitable although I've used mine twice but second time it seemed to be bending a bit. Ran out of steam winding it up and had to get swmbo to help Embarassed

*sigh* have done a few more searches only to find more conflicts regarding jacking

TFC quote "Changed tyres many times, initially with the LR scissor jack and more recently with a two stage bottle jack. As winger says, go to offroad height first, you'll hear the suspension hiss and fart a bit. the maximum safe extension on the LR jack is about 60mm clear of the ground. Again, as Winger states, jack on the chassis legs - not the suspension wishbones"

**puzzled** Neutral

Post #21717221st Oct 2007 10:13 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Confused When I did my brake pads I locked it in access height and left a door open to stop the suspension raising.

Worked fine Neutral
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #21717321st Oct 2007 10:14 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

you could always donate a tenner to your local ATS/KwikFit/etc Christams box each time you want to swap wheels TD and not worry about it at all... Very Happy
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #21717421st Oct 2007 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

DiscoStu wrote:
Confused When I did my brake pads I locked it in access height and left a door open to stop the suspension raising.

Worked fine Neutral

Stu - I've also seen that mentioned before too ... but where do you locate the (trolley) jack ? Rolling Eyes

Post #21717621st Oct 2007 10:19 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

blue meanie wrote:
you could always donate a tenner to your local ATS/KwikFit/etc Christams box each time you want to swap wheels TD and not worry about it at all... Very Happy

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Idea might visit one of those establishments to see how they do it ...

Post #21717721st Oct 2007 10:21 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

in all seriousness, I've tried jacking the wishbones up, jacking from the sides at locked-access, normal and offroad heights etc.... I don't think I would have tried any of these without a jack that was over-specced for the job ie 3T plus axle stands. there's no margin for error when you consider the weight of even half a D3 slipping off something Shocked and coming crashing down.
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #21718321st Oct 2007 10:44 pm
SN

I always lay a wheel under the side of the car which is being jacked up too - something I've done with every motor I've ever owned
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #21718521st Oct 2007 10:49 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

blue meanie wrote:
there's no margin for error when you consider the weight of even half a D3 slipping off something Shocked and coming crashing down.

Tell me about it. I didn't chock the wheels properly when I lifted the car on the Takla yesterday evening. Made a hell of a stain in my pants when the jack fell forward halfway through inflating it. Broke the bayonet on the hose too Big Cry

Still, the new compressor worked ok, had the car back up again in about 4 minutes. So here I am, best exhaust bungs in the business and no chuffing hose........ Evil or Very Mad
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21723822nd Oct 2007 9:59 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ronp wrote:
Therefore the CT3000G 3T is where my £65 is going!

Bought this today, and Yes it's same spec as the £82 one but without the Quick Lift.
Seems a damn good buy.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #21736822nd Oct 2007 6:49 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

ronp wrote:
ronp wrote:

Bought this today, and Yes it's same spec as the £82 one but without the Quick Lift.
Seems a damn good buy.

Thumbs Up Ron, now all you have to do is decide where to place the Censored ing thing Rolling with laughter to use it - back, front, side, blah blah .... Rolling Eyes

Hope you've got some serious axle stands too ...

Post #21739122nd Oct 2007 7:48 pm
ronp

so ya reckon it's gonna slide?

Was thinkin about same position as std jack ????
Or maybe the wishbones ??????

WHERE THE H3LL DO I PLACE IT Big Cry Big Cry
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #21743422nd Oct 2007 10:41 pm
ronp

ronp wrote:
ronp wrote:

Seems a damn good buy.

Just want to say, this is an excellent piece of kit for the money.
Used it today for the first time to change to my 17's/STT's.
It's rock solid, doesn't move about like the reports on the £42 one.
Also don't need the quick lift like the £82 one, in fact with the standard lift it's dead easy to locate the plate exactly where you need it on the chassis [and it doesn't slide].
It's a cracker for £65 and it really does instill confidence when lifting such a heavy 'beast'.
Thumbs Up
Post #2207813rd Nov 2007 7:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >