Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tuning & economy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I'm sure there will be a fiendish plot somewhere in the background, however she has said OK so make hay while the sun shines (needless to say not alot of hay being made this summer!!!). Whistle

Post #19195720th Aug 2007 12:59 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Just got the price for additional insurance, ~£60!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Just got to make final decision as to which tune and get it sorted. Other factor is gotta get car away from Mrs DSL up North to get it done! Evil or Very Mad

Post #19261321st Aug 2007 7:47 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

DSL, forget MPG, you want POWER, POWER, POWER.

You get were you want to go quicker which leaves more time for BEER. Oh I forgot, youve given up Alcohol... Never Mind. It will give you more time to think about Alcohol Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #19262521st Aug 2007 7:59 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I don't miss the beer & just about no longer miss the wine. Good thing about being on the wagon is you get to fall off every now & again. Thumbs Up
Remember I'm a Scotsman, economy please!!!!

Post #19263021st Aug 2007 8:11 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DSL.

I had a remap of a D2 and whilst it went like Censored of a shovel economy went down. Ive yet to see any proven figures to backup the remappers claims of better economy which I find strange. Once you have it done you may well find you tend to use the extra power which also puts more strain on all the other components i.e you go faster break quicker put greater strain on the gearbox etc.

On a different car as well (BMW 535d) the remap took the torque close to the rating of the auto box and as such a number of cars had failures so if you have an auto box check the torque rating against the torque offered by the different remaps.

Remaps are great at doing what they say increasing power if you want more go for it and enjoy. Ill be interested in you MPG figures.

Regards

Post #19387223rd Aug 2007 9:49 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got lots of remaps out 'in the wild' where the clients have reported real world MPG improvements, several are on Disco3.co.uk That said, some have chosen to modify their driving style to take advantage of the torque and response improvements thereby negating most of the fuel economy improvements but increasing the perma- Very Happy many times over.
The advantage of a remap is thay YOU can choose to have the extra perma - Very Happy or the extra fuel economy or a mixture of both purely by controlling your right foot Wink
That said, the Torq-Tune remap is specific to the vehicle and the clients requirements - most of the tunes have focussed upon fuel economy or (as AndrewS described it) 'Comfort' others have gone for pure performance - X5 for breakfast anyone? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #19389723rd Aug 2007 10:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

crymers I was very sceptical about tunes ...until I had one . I would not state that there have been improvements in mpg if there hadn't. I anticipated a marginal increase based on feedback but I ended up with a substantial increase in % terms and I am very happy Very Happy

As for stress to the vehicle ..having a tune doesn't suddenly turn you back into a boy racer ...it's there when you want it ...the rest of the time I drive as I have always done. The vehicle doesn't feel stressed at all.

If you're up near Londonistan give me a shout and I'll take you for a test drive Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #19391323rd Aug 2007 10:33 pm
cmyers_uk

The reason I am sceptical is I can vary my MPG (Auto HSE) between 27 - 32 on the same run depending on driving style on the same route so without a tune I can increase my MPG by 18.5% which when you look at in percentage terms it looks amazing.

Its for this reason and also to remove the commercial interests that you do an independant controlled test rather than rely on how people perceive there fuel economy to be ( I am in no way doubting you just discussing why I am sceptical and prefer a controlled test to anacodtial evidence!).

Having your tyres underinflated by 0.6 bar increases fuel consumption by 4% so if you are after a potential 4% saving make sure your tyres are correctly inflated.

As I said I have had tunes and recommend them if you want performance, but in my experience they do no more for yor fuel economy and when you use it, you use more. There are downsides. LR spend millions ensuring the engine provides the best balance between performance , economy , reliability , ability to operating in wide temperature ranges on different fuel qualities so changing it may well effect any one of the other areas such as reliability etc.

Regards the stress on components, you really cant have it both ways, if you increase torque you put more stress through the gearbox period. If you dont use it why have it, but every time you use the extra torque , extra BHP you will increase stress. I can only really speak on BMW diesels and there is far more you can get from the engine than the gearbox can take.

DG, I am glad your happy with your tune and I'm sure most people are these are just my views based on my experience which has not included 10forCashs tune.

I would really be interested in a lamens explanation of how you achieve extra BHP without increasing the amount of fuel and air that goes into the engine because I dont understand it.

Regards

Post #19409524th Aug 2007 11:28 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I can understand what you're saying ..but I can only report the change as I witness it. I have posted many times pre-tune on threads discussing MPG that my average was 21.5 ....and month after month it barely moved from that. After the tune and 4 months down the line with no substantial change to my driving patterns it is consistantly around 24.5 .....I can't explain it ...that's just what it is Confused Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #19414624th Aug 2007 12:15 pm
cmyers_uk

DG I am not doubting you to be honest something seemed a bit array. My min MPG is around 27 normal driving 24 towing on a run. Max going on a run fully loaded 200+ miles is 32. Best complete tank full was 30. As i say Im all for them for performance just giving some honest opinion it may well not be right Wink . It also worth noting its road tyres and no roof rack which all make a difference.

Post #19417924th Aug 2007 1:25 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Well have the remap booked for end of week after next. I've kept records of fuel vs mileage on a spreadsheet so will have no problem seeing if there is improvements or not. Just got to make sure I drive the same as I usually do, not difficult with SWMBO constantly on the alert as to my speed!

Post #19460224th Aug 2007 8:23 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Who did you go with DSL?

You may drive the same, but what about when Mrs DSL is driving it on her own? Whistle
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #19462324th Aug 2007 8:47 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

TT Thumbs Up

Mrs DSL has a light right foot, I hope!

Post #19462424th Aug 2007 8:49 pm
FMac

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Got a 'tune' from TFC specifically for towing/MPG. Thumbs Up

Prior to tune I was getting 18-19 MPG towing (North East to Loch Lomond and back. Mainly motorways/A-roads, cruise on at 60mph). Sad
Following tune I got 22 MPG towing through Holland/Germany. (Mainly Autobahns, cruise on at 63 mph) Smile

All from the computer 'cos I can't be bothered working it all out. No doubt the actuals will be lower, but should be the same for both. 8)

TFC could have just altered the computer to show better MPG, but the car deffo has more power when I'm solo and feel the need... Twisted Evil

FMac

Post #19598528th Aug 2007 3:43 pm
MrAnders

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My car was tuned before I bought it. 223 bhp and 500 Nm.
I get 30 mpg when going 60 on mainroads, and 27 average in town, on General Grabber AT2. Manual. Is is some 200 kilos heavier than standard due to many extras. I was fearing much worse than this!
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #1982352nd Sep 2007 9:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >