DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

tv into the D3 stuff...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
tv into the D3 stuff...

eventually got around to fitting the DVB tuner I bought ages ago, fitted it in the space normally occupied by the two cupholder tray in the rear of the centre console, which I have to say is a bit of a pain to get out but I reasoned that it would be an easy place to get cables from Laughing

Click image to enlarge

I tacked a length of standard aerial cable to one of the built in TV antennas in each rear window,
( badly Embarassed but v carefully Shocked ) which then run into a pair of signal amps and then into the DVB box:

Click image to enlarge

cables are run through the centre console into a small AV selector box in the glovebox, audio into the ipod integration kit installed previously:

Click image to enlarge

one video feed to the previosly installed reversing camera screen which is fixed to the roof light cluster and has two inputs; one auto and one selectable:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

one to an input on the nav screen ...

Click image to enlarge

accessable by the diag code thingy...

if anyone else is considering doing something similar I would say that it is a 2 out of 5 spanners on the difficulty scale Very Happy ie not that bad and well worth doing if you spend any time in your motor hanging about waiting for people....
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4351598th Mar 2009 9:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

nice - whats the DVB tuner model?
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4351858th Mar 2009 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

nice Malc Thumbs Up I do have to say though that the offset screen would drive the Censored into me to the point where I'd have to just sell the motor. Laughing .....I'm a 'symmetry' man you see Whistle Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4351948th Mar 2009 9:32 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

one of these off eblag Steve:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Gadget-Rush

seems to work ok Thumbs Up

DG the offset screen is indeed a bit of a pain but as it's just the LCD part out of a larger unit and as I have hidden all the relevant electrickery inside the light cluster, I was a bit constrained by where the ribbon cable came out of the back of the screen as it goes through where the sunroof switch would be Sad also this way it doesn't obscure the PTI mic Thumbs Up

but I understand your problem, there is therapy for it you know Thumbs Up Wink
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4352028th Mar 2009 9:40 pm
SN

I'm with you on that one Rich - and stuff has to be lined up straight too - I'm forever starightening the rug in the hall after the dog has whizzed by and slid it across the laminate floor Rolling with laughter Rolling Eyes Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4352058th Mar 2009 9:42 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

cor some people Rolling Eyes how do you cope with that awful 'steering wheel biased to one side of the vehicle' thing then?
Laughing
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4352158th Mar 2009 9:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It took years Wink ...you don't know how many women I went through before I found one with symmetrical tits Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #4352198th Mar 2009 9:52 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

Shocked I don't want to know either thanks Laughing
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4352228th Mar 2009 9:53 pm
SN

Back on topic - and I assume I can just shove the audio out into the Aux port (via RCA to 3.5mm Jack) (as I don't have a fancy roof mounted unit and switchgear like you)
Post #4352668th Mar 2009 10:46 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

I would think so Steve but I've found the output vol to be a bit low, so you may need one of those inline amp things to boost it up a bit, I have one of those leads too so I'll give it a try and see what it's like and let you know.
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4352678th Mar 2009 10:50 pm
SN

cheers - well I have a bid in on eblag lets see what happens - need to dig out one of those video cables to plug into back of screen now...
Post #4352688th Mar 2009 10:51 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Look good Malc Thumbs Up

Out of interest are the two signal amps already in place in the D3 or are you talking about ones that you stuck in? And how come you used two amps?

I'm currently using a 12V 20dB gain DVB-T antena in mine to get a decent signal though a USB EMTEC hybrid tuner....I can pick up 52 channels, but I'm still suffering with the signal when I pick up speed......

How does yours handle motorways etc? Whistle
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4353299th Mar 2009 12:23 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

Paul,
I've used a booster for each side merely because I think the factory install has one for each of the four antenna elements, I thought I'd start with one each side to see how the reception was. I've not really tried it in a travelling sit yet but as I'm out in the sticks can't imagine it's going to be that great Smile
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4354589th Mar 2009 10:15 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

OK...that makes sense.....I've been looking into this and you're right - there are four TV antennas - two in each rear window, each one connected to an amplifier and then fed into the diversity tuner.

I'm not sure how this works - I've heard of tuners using two antennas in diversity mode to reduce interference and improve signal, but not sure about using four antennas.

So what exactly have you connected? One in each rear window, each to a separate amplifier?

Has your DVB-T box got diversity inputs or have you just joined the two amplified signals together and fed them in on one coaxial input?

I've been doing a few tests and I'm still dissapointed by the signal....I've mounted my antenna behind the rear right-hand side window, but I have a feeling that the existing antennas are blocking the signal somewhat...

I wonder if it would be better to get a proper USB DVB-T tuner with diversity inputs and then use an inline-amp on each one....

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #4354889th Mar 2009 11:05 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

the tuner I'm using just has a single input, so I tried the boosters in parallel and series to see which was best and for my location piggy backing them together rather than in a 'Y' type scenario seems to work best, I would imagine that it's probably not the recommended way of doing it but it is cheap, the boosters I'm using between them came to less than 15 squid...
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #4354989th Mar 2009 11:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >