Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

As far as I can tell, mine was built in March 2005 (registered April) Chassis Number ******175A335***

It appears to suffer failures (usually on the first bump) if the "boot up" routine is not completed, which are perhaps understandable, but can also has fail several hours into driving.

Mine also does not "boing" on restarting after a brief stop, unless the key is removed in which case it performs a full re-boot.

My dealer told me today that the new compressors are basically fitted on the 2006 MY cars.

My Dealers have been superb, and usually provide equivalent vehicles as loan cars. However, I do feel that we are being used as guinea pigs to find the solution to the problem on L/R's behalf.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #94942nd Aug 2005 10:52 pm
BN

England 

I think most new vehicles have a few problems, but the suspension one is not just a problem it could have serious results. Really LR should recall the cars and replace the compressors even if there is a minor doubt, that is why we need the data.

Post #94972nd Aug 2005 10:57 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm in the process of building the survey which should help gather some consistent and reliable data on these failures. Watch this space Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #94982nd Aug 2005 10:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lawman

Although I have not (yet) suffered any problems, the known suspension issue could obviously be very serious. If enough data comes back to support a concerted effort to make LR recall and fix then count me in to help from a legal perspective. I sue people for a living. A few thoughts however ahead of any decisions. I also have a Grand Cherokee Jeep. When new it pulled to the left so breaking in a straight line would have been a serious issue in an emergency. I told the dealer who said it was within tolerances. I said it wasn't and got another dealer to check it and they said yes it pulled but was not a warranty issue. I confronted Jeep UK who denied there was a problem at all. I then asked them if their bean counters had worked out how much it would cost to replace my income to retirement age if I was killed by a defective set up which they had been made aware about. Hey presto they suddenly admitted the problem and got the car fixed by (at the time) the only person (not dealer - person) in the UK who knew how to fit a new ball joint they had secretly developed to fix the problem.

Take a look at the tyres of any circa 2000 GC Jeep and you will see uneven wear because they never made the issue public and most people didn't notice or were too lazy to get the problem solved. Me - I always fancy breaking in a straight line if the chips are down.

Example two. I also have a 911 convertible. Looking at the web a while back back I chanced upon a site about recalls in the US. I found that my car was subject to a (then) unpublicised in the UK recall over the roof locking mechanism which was at risk of opening without invitation at high speed - think parachute surprise ripped off roof. Porsche had sat on this for months and started the recall in the US WAY before the UK. No prizes for guessing why they started in the US but if anyone is clueless about the damages system in the US versus the UK then shout. I repeatedly called Porsche HQ in Germany who have thus far avoided my calls. Next stop a car magazine.

Moral in all this? If our US friends have the same issue, a call from their lawyers to LR USA should sort it out pronto. Once LR is fixed with knowledge in the US they and their lawyers should be VERY SCARED on any safety issues.

PS recall scene in the UK is presently voluntary. How quaint and outdated. After all, what's safety compared to profit?

Post #95143rd Aug 2005 12:29 am
BN

England 

Lawman and winger thanks for your valuable information. I think the pro-forma that Martin has started is very good and has sufficient detail to collect data already, but may need a declaration. Possibly you two legal bods could pass an eye over it (if he has not already asked) and we could activate the form ASAP. I do know we have another legal beagle on site and maybe more, so the more help the better.

Post #95233rd Aug 2005 7:42 am
PIP

England 

Lawman

I know this is a L.R. forum but THANK YOU. Perhaps it was you who helped convince jeep there was something wrong with my early Cherokee. after quiet a while we were suddenly called in for replacement ball joints. They called it a DEVELOPMENT UPGRADE!!!!

Post #95243rd Aug 2005 7:54 am
MVS

I would concur that if one of our US colleagues could 'threaten' legal action re the suspension issue it would remove some of LR's inertia.

Then we would have a chance to get them to do a recall here if that is felt to be the anwser

Mike

Post #95473rd Aug 2005 10:17 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

A small thing.. but seriously folks, if it is my compressor that has failed (24 hours on from suspension failure and LR dealership still unable to 'diagnose the problem yet), how long am I likely to be without it? Am off to Scotland this weekend and would be nice to do it in D3 style and not the Ford Focus hire car.

Has my optimistic cap fallen off?

Also worth noting that as of today, since having taken delivery of the vehicle, it has been with the dealer 5 days out of 30 and counting.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #95483rd Aug 2005 10:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CL

New Zealand 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Keen to hear more about suspension faults. I had the yellow warning light come on and could not lower (to get into a car parking building). Only had my Disco for 3 weeks 700 km. Fortunately a 'master reset' cleared it up this time (turn off, on wait for diags to give all clear and start up)

Post #95493rd Aug 2005 10:38 am
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi CL,

Obvious I know, but this forum, and a few others, seem to have quite a lot of information about this suspension problem. Sadly the headline message from all I've read is that it seems more common that LR wish to aknowlege..... yet

Hope yours was just a glitch "in the matrix" as they say.

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #95503rd Aug 2005 10:53 am
rich

New Zealand 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
suspension

just in case I am thick.... but lets confirm that everyone knows, that when a trailer is connected the suspension is disabled for anything but road height... so if you have a tow bar fitted there is a possibility of a wiring fault...... make any sense ???
 Near enough 40 degrees South!!!  
Post #95543rd Aug 2005 11:16 am
FlOwner

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Another Suspension Fault

Just received another suspension fault. My vehicle has been in the shop for a total of 24 days. I have notified LR by certified registered mail. This is required to begin the lemon process in Florida. After 30days out of service I can file for relief. Also note my tyre problems which I also beleive to be suspension related(see tyre post). If you include those this may count as their final repair attempt.

Post #95563rd Aug 2005 12:32 pm
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: suspension

rich wrote:
just in case I am thick.... but lets confirm that everyone knows, that when a trailer is connected the suspension is disabled for anything but road height... so if you have a tow bar fitted there is a possibility of a wiring fault...... make any sense ???

Well with my trailer attached I can still raise & lower the cars hight!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #95613rd Aug 2005 1:04 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nick,
Is your towpack a dealer or factory fit?
When I ordered mine, the dealer said that the factory fit gives more 'system integration', which I presume means it stops the suspension movement....

Cheers,

10forcash

Post #95633rd Aug 2005 1:10 pm
BN

England 
This has been covered well by me much earlier

Guys, I have covered this at great length somewhere on the site, but much earlier on. If anyone can find it, all of your answers are there. I also covered the intensity lights that would normally go out if a trailer is fitted to reduce glare, the D3 does not unless purchased in Germany.

What we need on the site now is a very good searchable fault index, but I suppose I am asking too much of the web master and his voluntary time.

Post #95653rd Aug 2005 1:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >