Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Faultmate reprogramming help... HELP!!! My BCU/CJB is dead!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
oceandriven

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Unfortunately fuse pulling trick did not work..!

Here's a clip of where the write fails - this is before it even starts writing and while the vehicle is "Waking Up"

I've tried numerous fuse removals to try limit the amount of current running through the car and no change.

25A charger connected. Fully charged battery.. Etc..

Post #121889417th Jan 2014 10:23 am
alex_pescaru

On the screen, during the process, there is an animation with 0s and 1s.
Just before the error, those 0s and 1s are changing in random (?) characters.
It seems to me like a typical situation of a buffer running out of index/bound and the program filling a memory zone that is not supposed to fill. In this case the memory zone was the print buffer that is shown on the screen with 0s and 1s.
Could be a program error or a data file with a pretty particular content that throws the program out of natural running way when interpreted.
Either way, you are in for a program update or a new data file.
Did you tried to flash a different version of firmware? The old one maybe?

Post #121890617th Jan 2014 10:52 am
oceandriven

Hi Alex,

That thought did occur to me too. Unless of course the animation was created to do that on purpose?

I'm about to lug my pc complete with 19" monitor, keyboard and mouse outside and have a go with that..! Wink

Sadly laptops don't seem to come with serial ports anymore?

Post #121890917th Jan 2014 10:56 am
oceandriven

OK.
Fresh install of VE on new computer (has never had VE installed before).
Connection by Serial. No USB to Serial used.
Fresh install of Flash File Loader
Fresh Download of .vbf files. .VBF file correct as per assembly number and confirmed by Geoff. in another post.

Re-uploaded of flash files to Vehicle Server.

Fails in exactly the same place Sad

New BCU if I have to order is 10 to 17 working days..! Sad

Post #121895717th Jan 2014 12:58 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi

Do try to contact BBS about this also as they may have some more help they can offer you. Even a new BCU needs programming to the car to make it work so I think its a good idea first to try BBS for advice.

Did you try as Alex advise a different version of firmware?

Pete

Post #121896817th Jan 2014 1:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oceandriven

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the message.
I have dual posted on the BBS boards. Suggestions so far have been similar to Disco_Mikey post earlier. Because of the fact that it's not failing during a write but before the write happens I'm thinking the BCU or some other component may be pretty dead.

When I was doing the initial write, it was writing and then failed with an ECU error which I can assume was because the ECU needed more power. At this stage it was at least trying to write. Now I'm not even getting to the write stage.

Firmware on the Vehicle Server was updated on Wednesday. Any firmware I attempt to write to the BCU/CJB ends up with the same comms error as above.

Post #121898617th Jan 2014 1:46 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Did you do a hard reset before trying the fuse pull, if not do a HR then try the fuse way.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #121899017th Jan 2014 1:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oceandriven

Hi Flack,

Yes, tried a full hard reset before the fuse pull. Unfortunately, same problem Sad

Post #121899517th Jan 2014 2:05 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I know I have asked but didnt see a reply.

But were you writing original software to the car or the wrong software to enable something (IE 3 Flash) ? and you try as Alex advise a different version of firmware?

Can you seill gain access to the settings page info albiet probabaly limited on the now shown info ?

Pete

Last edited by bellautos on 17th Jan 2014 5:06 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #121905817th Jan 2014 4:28 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

might not be related but I started to get some particularly weird stuff happening when I was messing about with the FBH such as communication lost, hazards flashing etc
Turned out that one of the wires in the OBD plug with the movement had depleted down to one strand of the wire connected and needed re-soldering, so I would check these and any other wires in the DB9 etc connectors Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #121906717th Jan 2014 4:44 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The animation provided by vehicle explorer is actually for purely cosmetic effect only Thumbs Up
Having instructed the Vehicle server to flash a file pre loaded on the server to the ECU, Vehicle explorer really has no further interactive part to play in this process.

The ones and zeros provided by the animation is therefore just randomly generated by Vehicle Explorer intended to indicate that data transfer is correctly ocuring while the vehicle server is not producing any error. If the vehicle server does encounter any communication problem, it sends a message to the vehicle server which then changes the animation to show different random charators in the animation shortly before it provides the resultant error message for effect only.

This is in no way real data Thumbs Up

As i have stated in my lengthy reply to you on the BBS forum oceandriven, and as no doubt Alex will concur, the fact that you can get to retry flashing this proves that the PBL and SBL methodology is working as it should and the fact that your flashing seems to always fail at the same point really does point to your ECU having a bad byte or sector in the Flash memory, noting from Alex's previously pointing out that the Flash memory is often contained within the main processor, but this is still the most likely cause of your problem IMHO.

In this case it really would not matter what equipment you used to attempt to reflash this ECU or the fact that you have retro applied sufficient power for this task.

This ECU is in fact faulty in a way that you would only know and learn about by attempting to reflash it.

As bad this news is for you, try not to blame the messenger Thumbs Up

Post #121917017th Jan 2014 6:52 pm
oceandriven

bellautos wrote:
I know I have asked but didnt see a reply.

But were you writing original software to the car or the wrong software to enable something (IE 3 Flash) ? and you try as Alex advise a different version of firmware?

Can you seill gain access to the settings page info albiet probabaly limited on the now shown info ?

Pete

Hi Pete.

I flashed the correct version as per my assembly which is 7H32-14C184-AA. The end intention was to enable 3 Flash but I definitely right from the 1st try was using the correct software as per my assembly.

I have subsequently tried to flash with another suggested version but still cannot get past the same point. I fear I could probably try flashing it with an MP3 file and will still have the same result.

Yes, I can still get access to the settings page but all fields show "Not supported" with the exception of the Module field which has a value.

Post #121921417th Jan 2014 7:45 pm
oceandriven

BBS SPY wrote:
The animation provided by vehicle explorer is actually for purely cosmetic effect only Thumbs Up
Having instructed the Vehicle server to flash a file pre loaded on the server to the ECU, Vehicle explorer really has no further interactive part to play in this process.

The ones and zeros provided by the animation is therefore just randomly generated by Vehicle Explorer intended to indicate that data transfer is correctly ocuring while the vehicle server is not producing any error. If the vehicle server does encounter any communication problem, it sends a message to the vehicle server which then changes the animation to show different random charators in the animation shortly before it provides the resultant error message for effect only.

This is in no way real data Thumbs Up

As i have stated in my lengthy reply to you on the BBS forum oceandriven, and as no doubt Alex will concur, the fact that you can get to retry flashing this proves that the PBL and SBL methodology is working as it should and the fact that your flashing seems to always fail at the same point really does point to your ECU having a bad byte or sector in the Flash memory, noting from Alex's previously pointing out that the Flash memory is often contained within the main processor, but this is still the most likely cause of your problem IMHO.

In this case it really would not matter what equipment you used to attempt to reflash this ECU or the fact that you have retro applied sufficient power for this task.

This ECU is in fact faulty in a way that you would only know and learn about by attempting to reflash it.

As bad this news is for you, try not to blame the messenger Thumbs Up

Hi BBS SPY,

Thank you for your response.
I've resigned myself to the fact that I need a new BCU and have ordered one from Land Rover. The countdown of 17 working days now begins. I will however still try and recover this unit as I have atleast 17 days to do so.

An interesting find is that one of my "dim" lights on my right headlamp is permanently on. I assume the BCU is stuck with this on. Just before the 3rd write fail though, I did hear the rear tail lock go so I think pulling fuse 15 and 16 probably does help in most other scenarios.

I am however no longer confident to try any further flash updates to unlock things like on the move nav and lights on display etc. This has been an expensive excercise Sad Sad

Post #121924817th Jan 2014 8:14 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

What do you mean by your 'dim' light - the side light (that come on with the 1st click) or dipped main beam (that come on with the 2nd click) and is this the only light that is on?

(This is important.)
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #121928617th Jan 2014 9:06 pm
oceandriven

Hi Robbie,

It's the dipped main light: the round one which is partially into the grill.
It's on until I disconnect the battery and yes, it's the only light on. No other exterior or interior lights are on.

During my fuse testing I did pull this fuse with no change.

Cheers!

Post #121929917th Jan 2014 9:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >