DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Plan to visit Scotland - some questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Plan to visit Scotland - some questions

Hi
Been thinking of visiting Scotland. As my love for Single Malt whisky is growing Twisted Evil , would like to do the trip through major distilleries - mostly interested in Islay ones, and of course to do some sightseeing of major tourist attractions.
Will have two, max three weeks for the whole trip - from Warsaw, back to Warsaw. The plan is to take my Disco of course. I know it would be probably cheaper to fly over and rent a car on site, but.. Mr. Green

So the questions are:
1. What, in your opinion, is worth seeing in Scotland? I like empty spaces and old architecture. Modern city centers with clubs are not really in my interest Wink I don't plan to visit every museum and church either - unless it's really worth seeing.
2. What are the possibilities of driving off road rather than on usual roads all the times? Are there any maps (would be perfect if they were available for Garmin devices) including off road tracks/unpaved roads? Or do you guys have any maps I could use while planing the trip?
3. To cut the accommodation expenses the plan is to sleep in the roof tent. What should I know to not pay a fine for camping in a wrong place? Is camping for instance on a sea shore allowed?
4. Been thinking of proposing my girlfriend somewhere in a beautiful scenery - would be ideal somewhere near Lagavulin distillery - it's "our" whisky Mr. Green - any recommendation of nice place with friendly people? Embarassed
5. Do you have any other "thoughts" worth taking into consideration while planing the trip?

Thanks for all suggestions Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #127418524th Apr 2014 12:10 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

west coast best..more scenic and mountains
Scotland is a big place and many small roads
islands are very scenic but ferry costs high
highest mountain pass in uk at applecross.....pass of the cattle...a good scary drive
you wont see it all but plenty to keep you busy
summer months near lochs could give you the migys (flys)
plenty of off road sites check internet
MOST OF ALL ENJOY....
and share pictures

Post #127419024th Apr 2014 1:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

there is a white sand beech near maliag ..which has featured in films for your proposal

Post #127419124th Apr 2014 1:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Empty places and good places to stay .....?.... Just stayed at the Clachaig Inn for a few days (they have loads of malts behind the bars)...thoroughly recommend it and Glencoe is stunning....
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic108575.html?highlight=Clachaig
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #127420524th Apr 2014 6:44 am
Dave T

England 

When are you planning and which way? In Scotland we don't have Green Lanes, it is all privatly owned land, if you were lucky with your dates SLROC may have an event or failing that if you were driving up, then a night in Cumbria may be worthwhile.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #127420924th Apr 2014 6:55 am
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The Applecross Peninsula is a must and is stunningly beautiful. I believe it is designated as one of the few remaining wildernesses in Europe. West coast better.

Post #127423124th Apr 2014 8:19 am
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Agree about Applecross.

If you're going any time between June and September you MUST take precautions against Midges, or your holiday will be ruined. This stuff is the best I'm aware of: http://tinyurl.com/mc4xohj.

Wild camping is legal in Scotland - though I wouldn't try it next to someone's house Rolling with laughter

Post #127423724th Apr 2014 8:28 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'll try to post later today in more detail as there is a lot to say in answer to your question. Whilst Islay may have 8 distilleries, it is the most southerly of the Inner Hebrides and therefore (to many) the least spectacular from a landscape/seascape perspective. Generally speaking, the further north and west you head, the more rugged things become (other than, say, the last 100 miles where it begins to flatten out again!).

As others have already said, green lanes do not exist in the same way as the rest of the UK. However, there are a number of 'forest drives' which, whilst not exactly hardcore offroad, do offer an interesting take on the landscape. For example, enroute to the ferry for Islay there is a forest drive in Argyll between Inveraray and Loch Awe (the Leacainn Forest Drive) which is about 20km long and is arguably shorter than taking the main road. ( http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/visit/leacainn-muir-forest-drive ) However, many of the roads here in the wild and wooly west are so poor they are almost an off-road experience in their own right!

Wild camping is generally not a problem so long as you don't take the proverbial and try it in someone's front garden or in a lay-by where there are notices prohbiting it.

Ferry wise then yes,some can be expensive, but others can also be very reasonable. It would be worth your while searching on the calmac web site as they offer a 'Highland Hopscotch' ticket (or whatever it is being called this year) which can offer better value for money.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #127423824th Apr 2014 8:32 am
jimbojay

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Pretty much what has been said, though I feel you should factor in a trip to Edinburgh. Fairy pools on Skye, Cairngorms etc also well worth a visit!!

Jamie

Post #127428524th Apr 2014 11:00 am
Simon.pl

Thank you all! Bow down
The plan is to visit in July. As I’d found out, most Distilleries are closed in August, so would like ro avoid that time Whistle
As Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Bruichladdich and Kilchoman are „must see” for me Twisted Evil I will have to stay on Islay for 2-3 days probably. Than I’m „free to go” Very Happy

Made a list of most interesting things to see in Scotland based on Internet, but recommendations, like those from you guys, are the most precious, so keep going! Bow down

Of course putting it all on a map will cut the list probably half of those attractions, but at the moment I’ve been gathering all info I can to see what is possible. I know it would be probably better to divide it to few trips, but the distance from/back to Warsaw is huge, so taking into consideration driving with my own car is a huge expense I would not like to repeat too often Confused
Soo - how far north can I drive, in your opionion, within - lets say - 7 days Question
I’m watching this map at the moment Mr. Green http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/map/Scotland/ - so no idea about distances yet.

I plan to take ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle, drive from Newcastle to Islay through Edinburgh and Glasgow. That would be 2 days if I wanted to stay for a few shots in Edinburg’s Royal Mile, Edinburg’s Castle and some places in Glasgow (who knows where Angus and Malcolm Young from AC/DC grew up Question Wink )? Or 1 day is enough? (the ferry arives around 9 a.m to Newcastle, so got whole day for a trip).

And after 2/3 days on Islay would head north throuhg West Cost. The more beautifull landscape the better, as I would like to take some timelapses as well as some photos, so really looking forward to it!

Didn’t think of Midgets.. Thanks for that @Brian_DL13. As a matter of fact I hate them and they love me.. By the way - the link you have provided is not working. What were you refering to?

That would make 10 days one way (north), so would have another - lets say 7-9 days to go back to Newcastle - so maybe Speyside whisky trail, or other things Question

Thought about Melrose Abbey, Cuillin Hills, Skara Brae, Luskentyre Beach, Duart Castle, Urquhart Castle, Inveraray Castle, Eilean Donan, Dunnottar Castle, Stirling -looots of things - probably not too much time for all of this.. Big Cry
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #127428724th Apr 2014 11:04 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

If your going up the A1 from Newcastle to Edinburgh,you will go right passed the Glenkinchie Distillery,a rare Lowland distillery Thumbs Up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenkinchie

And St Abbs Head is always worth a look on your way up.....10 minutes off the A1 Whistle

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #127428924th Apr 2014 11:16 am
Simon.pl

Bad news euangibson - that would probably stop me for one more day Rolling with laughter
Thumbs Up
Post #127429124th Apr 2014 11:23 am
jimbojay

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Not sure if its been mentioned but dont forget the Commonwealth games is on in the latter part of July, not sure how this may affect some access to Glasgow and also cost of some ferries?
Jamie

Post #127429424th Apr 2014 11:28 am
Garagegmx

Quote:
Thought about Melrose Abbey, Cuillin Hills, Skara Brae, Luskentyre Beach, Duart Castle, Urquhart Castle, Inveraray Castle, Eilean Donan, Dunnottar Castle, Stirling -looots of things - probably not too much time for all

Most places of the best places are booked up by now, especially in the smaller communities. Wild camping and off roading isn't appreciated by the locals nor the local Plod. You could take a chance, but don't be surprised if you're asked to move on.

Skara Brae? If your into stone and mud mounds it's fine, not sure its worth taking a trip to Orkney to see it.

Lyskentyre? Nice enough beach, but again, trecking to Harris?

Urqhart Castle is expensive and packed in the summer. Mostly ruins with a Loch Ness backdrop.

Eilean Donan, as above, ignoring backdrop of Loch Ness, but better maintained.

Cullins? Okay, but a hill is a hill. They are just a bit more craggy.

Applecross? It's a bland road with a few twists. Wouldn't get upset if I missed it. It's a touristy thing to do.

I'd probably spend time in the Borders. Edinburgh is worth a day or two. Maybe pop into Fife and the East Neuk. Up to Aberdeen, across to Braemar, head on into Inverness, down Loch Ness, Fort William and back from there. You'd get a good flavour of the place. If you start adding on the islands and remoter parts, it will become an ordeal and you will remember the journey rather than the places you see.

Post #127429724th Apr 2014 11:33 am
Simon.pl

Thanks for that Garagegmx - interesting point of view. Thumbs Up
Well - that is why I ask here - all you can see in the Internet are nice pictures with notes "must see", but it's impossible to know the "background". That's why I appreciate your opinions guys Bow down
Post #127430224th Apr 2014 11:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >