Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Fuel consumption research
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
BN

England 

Hate to tell you guys, but we contract to Shell Fuels (and others) and guess what, we teach them to drive economically, especially the trucks. If we can get an extra 500 metres per litre we can save thousands of pounds in fuel bills for them. By the way, bike racks and roof racks can seriously damage your fuel savings.

Post #229014th Apr 2005 1:17 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think having done some slllllloooooooooowwwwwwww driving and proved to myself you can get the mpg up to what is claimed I've got over it and enjoying the kick down and growl of the engine!! It doesn't help with a mate in his Merc E320 phoning me at 80 with his guage telling him he is getting 46mpg Crying or Very sad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #229314th Apr 2005 1:47 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
I've got over it and enjoying the kick down and growl of the engine!!

Life's too short, eh? Wink Very Happy

Martin

Post #229614th Apr 2005 3:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Urmmm, perhaps I had better look at Mercs. 46 MPG thats better than my Suzuki Jimny 4x4 and thats is only a 1300cc. Might reach 70mph @ 4000RPM downhill with the wind behind me. No, I'll stick with the LR for the time being much more unpredictable.

Post #229914th Apr 2005 3:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Next door has an Audi A4 diesel that does 50mpg.

Post #230114th Apr 2005 4:09 pm
BN

England 

OK, so I saved the money on my Flash, so I will spend it on my diesel in the LR. Very Happy

Post #230814th Apr 2005 4:40 pm
Pelyma

England 

LOL @ BN. I can't believe the Merc either, is does 0-60 in about 7.8 and 155 top end, the diesel E320 is faster than the petrol, work that one out???
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #232214th Apr 2005 8:02 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Hey, I own a Merc E320 cdi and actually bought the wife the D3 as a family car. However the wife never gets to drive the D3 and is relegated to the Merc. Sure the Merc does 35mpg + overall, pulls like a train and sprints to 60 in about 8 seconds - but, I'd rather drive the D3 any day of the week. I now have a RRS on order, so if anyone wants a Merc 320cdi estate avantgarde 51 plate with 80k miles in good order with a FMBSH, then make me an offer .....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #233214th Apr 2005 9:43 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Smarticus... you lucky man to have a DISCO3 and soon a RRS Smile

May you enjoy your rides

-s

Post #233314th Apr 2005 9:44 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I am hoping that a RRS may be a very cheap car to drive if demand exceeds supply for the first 18 months. Friends of mine who got into the first X5 diesels or Cayenne Turbos actually got a years free motoring as their cars lost zero pounds in the first 12 months. Indeed they were being offered a profit to sell them on in the first few months ! That isn't possible now as demand and supply is much closer. I suspect it may only be a RRS supercharged that will get that sort of result though as I imagine the queues for that vehicle now stretch a good way around the block. Interestingly a friend of mine has just taken delivery of a New D3 TDV6 HSE in Bonatti / Black Leather. It is exactly the spec and colour he asked for and his dealer found him that car straight away and delivered it within a week. That would suggest that in the UK at least D3 demand and supply is pretty darn close so I suspect our cars are depreciating in value at a highish rate .....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #233414th Apr 2005 9:52 pm
Kevin

United Kingdom 
Fuel consumption better on long run.

I took the parents to see relatives in Liveerpool on Monday. On the run up from Bournemouth, Dorset, via Sailsbury Swindon Glocester and the M5 / M6 we averaged 28.4 MPG. Very Happy

On the way back on Tuesday we visited the Yorkshiire Dales. Drove from Liverpool to Lancaster, Ingleton, Chapel Le Dale, Ribblehead, Dent Station, Garsdale Head, Hawes, Buckden, Kettlewell, Arncliffe, and Settle before heading south for Bournemouth.

The weather was great on Tuesday and I have posted some photos in the gallery in my album titled "Kevin" of my Disco 3.

In total we covered 268 Miles on Monday and 428 Miles on Tuesday.

My Disco 3 is the best veichle I have ever driven. When we arrived home we had been in the car on and off for 14 hours and I was not at all tired.

Fuel consumption was 27.2 MPG Smile on the way home and this included our tourtourous route through the Dales which included many steep hiils and low gears.

Having filled up in Liverpool at a garage with inch thick iron bars around the pay booth Shocked I filled up with fuel again on Thursday evening havng covered 458 miles on one tank. The Range indicator went from 33 miles to zero Surprised in just 11 miles and I put 80 Litres in the tank Wink

Interestingly I have noticed that if I arrive home and park in the drive with the tank low (yellow indicator on) the range display showing 30 - 40 miles, the next morning the range indicator reads Zero and the fule guage does not move until I have covered about five miles when the range slowly creaps back up. It is almost like my fuel disapears somewhere overnight Crying or Very sad
 Kevin

BAS TUNE

Faultmate MSV-2 MULTI VEHICLE 

Post #279524th Apr 2005 11:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Don't worry about the bars on the garage, I know of a sandwich shop in Liverpool with bullet proof glass and Pelyma reckons Leeds guys will eat us Shocked

Post #279725th Apr 2005 7:49 am
Phil B

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm a scouser myself and my wife is from Bucks. When I visit my mum and take my wife to the off licence, she can't believe that you're not able to pick your own booze up from the shelves as anything worth more than 50p is behind plexiglass! If you live up there, you really should supagard the windows on your D3!

Post #282026th Apr 2005 12:25 am
Kevin

United Kingdom 

The garage also had big signs instucting customers to pay for their fuel before filling up!

Being a southerner I had never heard of having to pay for fuel first. anyway I picked up the nozzel and the pump started so I filled up first and paid later. When I saw the bars in the pay booth I was woried that they would lock me up and shoot me. Sad

Luckly the girl in the booth was reading a memo and asking her freind what cc stood for. I was able to explain what cubic capacity meant (with some dificulty after translating the Liverpool speak into english Smile )
 Kevin

BAS TUNE

Faultmate MSV-2 MULTI VEHICLE 

Post #282126th Apr 2005 1:52 am
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Did a bit of an experiment this weekend in my TDV6 Auto on a 150-mile Motorway/A-road drive that I had to do both ways. Drove it on the Saturday trying to keep my speed up to 70mph as far as I could – ended up doing an average speed of 56.8mph and getting 27.8mpg. Did the return journey on Sunday in similar traffic conditions, but limited by top speed to 60mph. Got an average speed of 54.9mph (less than 2mph slower), but at a magic 36mpg!

Trying to drive at 70 you get stuck in the ebb and flow of the rest of the traffic, so you’re on and off the accelerator all the time, whereas at 60 I stuck the cruise control on, sat in Lane 1, and probably only had to use my feet two or three times. Felt DEADLY slow though, and not the most exciting drive of my life. Rolling Eyes

I actually once managed to get 40mpg out of my old Rover Sterling (2.7 petrol), but that was at 50mph on a 200-mile stretch of the A1. Toooo boring to ever contemplate trying in the D3. Wink

Post #33319th May 2005 10:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >