Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Newbie- looking at buying a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Ivan

United Kingdom 

goodo wrote:
Perhaps the Dutch are more honest with their taxation, making motorists pay the true cost of road infrastructure, while we in the U.K. get a bargain, and bargain basement road conditions.

The problem with the UK is that the money raised from the Road Fund Licence is not ring fenced for road maintenance, it just goes into the big treasury pot. If it was all spent on roads alone the UK roads would be much better.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #21921047th Dec 2020 1:11 pm
jagbloke

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My D3 is a 2005 SE - Manual - £330 a year to tax. Seen lots of debates on auto vs manual over the years - the gearchange isn't the slickest on mine, but I am otherwise happy, auto drivers tend to be happy with their choice.

I would budget for a few things if not included -
The Security plate for the spare wheel - bought mine from a guy who advertises on here after some thieving scrote helped themselves to my spare (I didn't know it was even an issue until then).
https://www.disco4.com/forum/spare-wheel-protector-31159.html
Make sure you get both keys and they both work reliably - getting spares is expensive and a pain in the Censored .
Towbar and electrics if not fitted. The detachable towbar has a bit of history - some people say they are fine, some have suffered failures. If you decide to go with this, make sure the one with the car (if included ) is a good fit and can be locked and unlocked - cosider fitting one of those extra securing plates - or get a permanent tow bar like Tow Trust fitted.
The IID tool can do a lot of useful stuff (do a search on here).

You want the OEM HID headlights - I see loads with the halogen lights fitted with dazzling illegal aftermarket HIDs - presumably because they can't see with the standard lights - neither can I when they are coming towards me.

Post #21922557th Dec 2020 10:01 pm
matgriff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My route to D3 ownership was similar to yours. I also had a D2 for 5 years, fixed everything myself. The difference between a D2 and a D3 is night & day.

I basically just looked through all the ads for D3's and waited and waited until the right one came along, which it did on this forum. Both previous owners were active on here, and the car had a long service history, plus all the receipts for parts fitted, including a new autobox, torque converter & rear prop within the last 15K miles, also all the suspension arms and bearing & brakes were all new. Basically everything was fully sorted, it was also in fantastic condition, 2005 HS no sunroofs (that was a must after the constant D2 leaks) I paid £4300 for it a year ago and all I've done is serviced it, replaced all the fluids and swapped the front diff for a RRS one, which cost £90. I have a fully set of new belts & tensioners which I'll fit in the spring along with a new oil pump if needed.

My advice, just look around and wait for the right car, make sure the previous owner knows and loved the vehicle and has properly maintained and cared for it. Of course it's always a gamble, but you can reduce the odds by doing proper research.
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #21923238th Dec 2020 9:34 am
Daddy_pig_disco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the advice mattgriff. What miles were on it when you bought it?

Post #21924908th Dec 2020 8:44 pm
matgriff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Around 140K miles, still drives like new though.
 2005 TDV6 SE Auto
Cairns Blue 

Post #21926019th Dec 2020 8:20 am
Fran75

I bought a 2094 D3 HSE auto with 130,000 and full service history. Years ago. It's going strong and is still my favourite vehicle in terms of ones I've owned over the years. It's now on 287,000 miles and still going strong so don't be put off by higher mileage vehicles. My advice would be: a)Full service history, b) use of Britparts, c)auto box as clutches on manuals can be weak, d) no jet washing under the bonnet. to avoid electrical gremlins.

Post #219364813th Dec 2020 5:25 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

use of Britparts??

That is rather difficult on a D3...
Since a few important pieces are made on the EU mainland...or elsewere even

Siemens, vdo,mahle,bosch, hitachi, ZF, denso, maybe skf, timken...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #219367313th Dec 2020 7:23 pm
Fran75

The advice I was given was Britparts when you can. I accept your point not everything will be available via this route. BG Landrover have always advised me to steer clear of cheaper aftermarket parts on the basis of false economy. I think the age and mileage of my D3 is testimony to this approach.

Post #219370013th Dec 2020 9:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >