Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Uneven Tyre Wear TSB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>
andyv

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Mine was first aligned 6mos ago at 12000 miles because of the uneven tyre wear and at 24000 miles it made it worst. Now the manager here at LR-Dallas is saying it's a normal wear. He DID NOT even apply this TSB when I bought the new tires/aligned all at my expense.

I opened up a case with LR-NA. I wish I have another LR-Dealer here in the Dallas area not owned by the same company. I don't think I deserve this kind of treatment the fact that I have been an LR customer since 1995 (Range Rover, Discovery, Freelander, LR3) with the same dealership.
" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" rel="nofollow">http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/Twisted Evil
Twisted Evil

AndyV

Post #820501st Sep 2006 8:07 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

andyv, I believe if you remain assertive with the dealer and continue to talk directly with LR-NA, you should be able to resolve the problem.

At what mileage did you have to replace your tyres/tires? Was this way below what you expected to get? Was the wear uneven to the point of being unroadworthy but still with plenty of visible tread on one side of the tyre? If you had photos of the wear before replacement, that could be used as an arguing point with the dealer/LR-NA.

As an aside, can any other North American users comment on mileage that they have achieved or expect for their road conditions?

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #821002nd Sep 2006 1:26 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I personally have not had this problem too severly. My vehicle displayed poor alignment in the rear, but I incorporated the TSB fix and seems okay. My Nitto's did not wear down as rapidly as the Wranglers seem to. I have about 10,000 miles on the Nittos and they are okay still. I expect about 40,000 total miles out of them (fingers crossed!)

However, premature tire wear in the USA is very comon, and often talked about on this forum here: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Post #821412nd Sep 2006 3:40 pm
andyv

My speedo shows 24,003 miles when the new tyres were replaced which I think is too soon to change. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures or had the dealer measure how much thread remains inside and outside but the way I look at it, I think I still have around 10k left on the the outer side. I was too trusting to my dealer that I did not have them take a pic or measurements. I was under the impression that my dealer will help me with resolving the issue but they are the one insisting that it was a wear issue.

BTW, LRNA called me yesterday and they said they will have the regional area manager take a look at my case. (':

andyv

Post #821652nd Sep 2006 6:53 pm
andyv

It's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard a word yet from the 'Regional LR Manager'. I've been calling LR-NA's Customer Service and all I hear is that they've been trying to get the this Manager - virtually, I supposed. Evil or Very Mad

Post #8608017th Sep 2006 4:27 pm
andyv

I just got a word from LRNA - they are not recognizing it as an issue because according to them I already have 24000 miles. Even though the first even tire wear was noted at 12000 miles.

What should be my next step?

thanks,

Evil or Very Mad

Post #8689820th Sep 2006 10:57 pm
FlOwner

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I would recommend that you fill out your States Motor Vehicle Defect Notication. They know you can't proceed to the next step until that is done,

My tires were free once I did that.

Post #8764823rd Sep 2006 5:23 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I posted on this thread a week or so back. After my letter to the dealer, stating the additional wear and cost over life of tyres, I have a commitment to £240 contribution to the next pair that have to be changed (rears). I have to use my LR dealer, but that's understandable. However, I have to watch out for loading of the price. I paid £150 for a Pirreli Scorpion at a tyre fitters - expect a bit more at the dealer?
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #8799124th Sep 2006 8:33 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

get it in writing and that you will be charged the same by them as you can get them for yourself... i.e. pricematch, then you should be covered.

my dealer when they changed mine FoC tried to claim 4 Wranglers cost over £1000 .... when I knew I could get them myself for £135 each.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8806125th Sep 2006 12:50 am
rak40

refuse to pay up

After communicatin back and forth for the las month or so, Land Rover Australia refuses to replace the worn out tyre free of charge. Their official line is that I have driven more than 30,000 Klm's and that is outside their "wear and tear" limit. They have not taken into account that the 3 other tyres after 30,000 Klm's are still good and certainly have another 30,000 Klm's in them. The worn tyre on the other hand was bold on the inside. It is not about trying to get a free tyre out of all this, for me it is about taking responsibility and clearly LR does not want to take this. I have no other way to go then vent my anger on this forum and I have also lodged a complaint with Consumers Affairs.

Post #8881027th Sep 2006 5:02 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's sad isn't it - LR are prepared to lose a customer forever for the sake of the cost of a tyre. The attitude of LR Australia doesn't surprise me - after all they have been doing just that for the last couple of decades - but I would have expected the Yanks to be more customer-relations minded. Rolling Eyes
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #8881527th Sep 2006 7:14 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I wonder....a couple of years ago here in the US (and perhaps elsewhere, I don't know), there was a HUGE issue with Ford and Firestone (I think?) tires, with millons of tires being recalled.

It was a collosial mess, and cost everyone lots of money and there are still mega lawsuits being tried regarding the issue.

Perhaps Ford is very very very careful about anything tire related these days.

Post #8881927th Sep 2006 8:15 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Alignment carried out by the dealers on mine yesterday, they said the fuel tank has to be full to set up correctly so they topped it up, about £30 I would have thought (not asked me for this YET).
They say they are arguing my case with LR regarding the tyres so will wait and see.

Again top marks to Sturgess Leicester
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #8980329th Sep 2006 10:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Cliff H wrote:
Alignment carried out by the dealers on mine yesterday, they said the fuel tank has to be full to set up correctly

Shocked thats a new one on me.... 3 lots of alignment on mine now and not once has the tank been even half full. Confused
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8980729th Sep 2006 10:50 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

dylansdad wrote:
Cliff H wrote:
Alignment carried out by the dealers on mine yesterday, they said the fuel tank has to be full to set up correctly

Shocked thats a new one on me.... 3 lots of alignment on mine now and not once has the tank been even half full. Confused

GO TO ANOTHER DEALER AND STOP MUCKING ABOUT, YOUR D3 WILL BE SORTED AND YOU WILL BE A HAPPY DOUBLE D CUP AGAIN..... PLEEEAAASE !

Ah... thats better.

Had to do that, hope you all understand.

Last edited by simon on 29th Sep 2006 11:00 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #8980929th Sep 2006 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 12 <123 4 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >