DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Makfilin wrote:
wiggs wrote:
the hard drive is fitted into the screen ( sat nav screen ) ...it can be removed .

The connector for updating the sat nav is located under the steering wheel , behind the removable panel

You talk about diagnostic connector or no???

No ... It's a 4 pin connector .. Like a USB connector , it's hidden behind the removable panel below steering wheel

Bill ... There is a camera module ( if you have cameras ) under the passenger seat .. And what looks to be an interface to connect the nav parts into the screen .. But I may be wrong
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #75149624th Jan 2011 10:51 am
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Thanks Wiggs Thumbs Up

Bill
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #75151524th Jan 2011 12:01 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Whilst no having had any experience with the D4, the sat nav in the D3 is diabolical (as is the Freelander 2!). It makes you wonder why the likes of Tom Tom and Garmin etc can produce good units at a reasonable cost, and yet LR are so hopeless and over priced. I for one am getting sick to death of LR telling us that their products are getting better. I suppose we've only had 62 years of them trying!

I suppose that the sat nav is like the rest of the vehicle, wonderful when it's working properly (which generally isn't very often).

Post #75152524th Jan 2011 12:36 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

yeh but if tomtom or garmin tried to make a car it'd be poop... Wink
 one wife.......livid  
Post #75152824th Jan 2011 12:40 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

And LR's efforts are better? Laughing

Post #75154124th Jan 2011 1:09 pm
Makfilin

Poland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Than what connect GVIF interface to screen D4???

Post #75159324th Jan 2011 3:10 pm
friedrich-immo.at

Austria 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

hi wiggs, i am new to this site, however i bought an d4 se with no sat nav, and i was thijnking if i could buy the sat nav from land rover (like on ebay ) and reinstall the units to my new d4, as i might have understand you are a pro on this kind of information, i am also willing to pay for any kind of help (please don't understand me wrong but i realy realy want this to work, my LR dealer told me he could make it work but it would cost around €9000.- which is too much) if you send me your phone number i would like to call you and go over all the stuff i would like to do.

looking forward in hearing from you

Alexander

Post #7923403rd May 2011 9:12 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I've just been touring in Cornwall and Wales and the LR SatNav doesn't have any of the country lanes so unless you know the area it's carp! On the other hand,a cheap (£100) Garmin that I ran in parallell had all those minor roads and more info.

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #7924464th May 2011 7:42 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

friedrich-immo.at wrote:
hi wiggs, i am new to this site, however i bought an d4 se with no sat nav, and i was thijnking if i could buy the sat nav from land rover (like on ebay ) and reinstall the units to my new d4, as i might have understand you are a pro on this kind of information, i am also willing to pay for any kind of help (please don't understand me wrong but i realy realy want this to work, my LR dealer told me he could make it work but it would cost around €9000.- which is too much) if you send me your phone number i would like to call you and go over all the stuff i would like to do.

looking forward in hearing from you

Alexander

Have a look at this post http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic55969.h...%2Bfitting
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #7924514th May 2011 8:00 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Bill ...without being rude ...are you sure you know how to control the satnav as what you describe is not my experience of the XS satnav when I had a loaner. Lanes were a feature if you were on them or routed to them though lanes in the area were not visible above a certain zoom factor.

I also have difficulty in understanding all but the very basic comparison to a portable dedicated unit. While portable units are very good, LR have an integrated system which takes considerable planning when designing the vehicle which essentially means it's always going to be behind the times...it is therefore unfair in my eyes to make a direct comparison to something which an entire company like TomTom can focus upon and update it's units features extremely quickly.

IMO the LR satnavs are not perfect but are nevertheless on the whole they do the job and like many car manufacturers integrated nav systems they are not intended to be in competition with the portable market.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7924554th May 2011 8:20 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Sorry DG but I disagree with your prognosis - the LR Sat Nav uses Navteq Mapping so it is just the 'software' to interpret the maps that is needed and that really does not need any forward planning when building the LR - OK LR make use of some of the results to help with their information BUT people like Garmin do that as well.

We deliberately left our Garmin (an old 7200 model) behind whilst away on a caravan camping trip during the last month so as to force us to use the LR system! I am sorry to say that it is really a very poor cousin to our several years old 7200 Garmin. The LR Sat Nav has no camping sites in its POI, it has only a handful of Tourist Attractions and its Shopping and Fuel stations POI is way out of date BUT what makes it worse is the fact that you can not add your own POI files.

Then there is its routing functions, these are so ancient (in SAT NAV terms) as to be almost dangerous, a car that is designed to tow large and heavy trailers should have an option to take this into account BUT no it does not and will try and take you through roads that are impossible to negotiate with a caravan on tow. Then there are no ways of asking for scenic routes or short routes or fastest routes etc depending on whether you are towing or not. Yes it offers you a choice of three routes to select from BUT without a preferences section where you can stipulate the the type of roads you want it totally ignores some of the loveliest roads available to it.

I have given the LR system a fair trial during the four months and 3000 miles that we have owned it BUT have come to the conclusion that I will have to use our Garmin for getting the most out of our driving pleasure. This is sad as I would have thought that even Land Rover could have got someone like Garmin to design their system for them BUT that probably would have cost a couple of quid more than employing the cowboys that they have.

Please do not get me wrong we love the D4 but not the D4 Sat Nav.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #7924904th May 2011 10:01 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Fair points but if it was really that easy then why are most OEM systems the same ? How many manufacturers use garmin or tomtom ? I don't think its quite that easy tbh
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7925004th May 2011 10:17 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It is that easy, it's just they don't want to pay for the licence. There are a couple of cars with in built TomTom now (can't remember which).
It's (as usual...) just down to money....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #7925044th May 2011 10:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

and with built in Garmin - agree with Bodsy on this one.

Quote from Garmin web site:-

We collaborate with some of the top European car manufacturers to create bespoke portable navigation solutions. Drawing on our experience in aviation and marine OEM, partnerships with BMW AG & Mini, Volvo Car Corporation, Ford Europe and Honda Accessories - among many others - have resulted in the development of tailored GPS navigation devices and fixtures
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #7925174th May 2011 10:49 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Sorry guys but if you read in depth neither Garmin or Tom-tom feature an integrated solution in the same way that the UI features in LR products or most vehicle manufacturers. Like I said, it's not as straightforward as you might think....but I guess this is just a matter of opinion until some tech bod can confirm it. Interestingly Navteq actually provide Garmin with their mapping data. Smile

I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't pick up their game ....there should be an easier method of updating via the HDD ..and I would love to see Google mapping integration TBH 8)
Post #7925994th May 2011 1:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >